"No Problem"

My knickers remain in their usual untwisted state when I hear it, but that does not mean that I think it is the proper response. Particularly in a business or sales situation. It's fine, I suppose, in a casual situation among friends or family; although I would rarely if ever use the phrase. To me it is rather dismissive, and bordering on disrespectful.

My knickers remain in their usual untwisted state when I hear it, but that does not mean that I think it is the proper response. Particularly in a business or sales situation. It's fine, I suppose, in a casual situation among friends or family; although I would rarely if ever use the phrase. To me it is rather dismissive, and bordering on disrespectful.

You don't get your knickers in a twist, but it borders on disrespectful? Okay...

I usually use your welcome. I probably wouldn't even notice if someone said no problem to me , as long as they are friendly and polite.

For those onboard who find it just fine to say "no problem" is this something you have taught or will teach your children about manners? I ask this because when my sons were very young, I'd guess as young as 3 or 4, whenever they said "thank you", they waited for the "you're welcome". If they didn't get that response, they pointed it out - every time! It's kinda funny to me that my 4 yr old knew more manners than the waitresses waiting on us.

I have yet to experience anyone getting their panties in a knot over me telling them "no problem" when they thank me for something. I don't have kids but I wouldn't be a stickler with them about saying "you're welcome" instead. Honestly I would consider it rude for someone to raise a stink about it. I guess kids can get away with it and it's considered cute but I would teach them not to correct people over something so trivial. The intention behind the words is much more important than using the specific wording that Miss Manners finds appropriate.

You don't get your knickers in a twist, but it borders on disrespectful? Okay...

Certainly. It is possible to disapprove of something without becoming emotionally vested in it.

And while I would correct any child of mine for saying it, I certainly would not be so lacking in manners that I would correct a stranger, in public or otherwise.

I use "no problem" more than I should but not in response to "Thank you". At my job I end up using it when asked to do something by others. "Can you please make 100 copies of this for me?" "No problem."
"Can you be sure my child gets their homework?" "No problem."

It annoys ME that I say it and I have been trying to stop! I don't think I use it instead of your welcome but I will have to try to be more aware of it just as I am trying to stop saying it in other contexts.

I have yet to experience anyone getting their panties in a knot over me telling them "no problem" when they thank me for something. I don't have kids but I wouldn't be a stickler with them about saying "you're welcome" instead. Honestly I would consider it rude for someone to raise a stink about it. I guess kids can get away with it and it's considered cute but I would teach them not to correct people over something so trivial. The intention behind the words is much more important than using the specific wording that Miss Manners finds appropriate.

Totally agree!

For those onboard who find it just fine to say "no problem" is this something you have taught or will teach your children about manners?
I'm not sure it would even matter? My mom taught me to say you're welcome. Now I use both phrases. It happens when the child grows up and learns their generation's slang and expressions.

Or they may choose to keep saying you're welcome and be just as respectful as someone else saying no problem. :)

Honestly I would consider it rude for someone to raise a stink about it. I guess kids can get away with it and it's considered cute but I would teach them not to correct people over something so trivial.
Hah! Seriously! I mean I get the discussion on this message board, but if someone told me they didn't like me saying that to them in person I'd just laugh and by habit say no problem again prolly. :D

For those onboard who find it just fine to say "no problem" is this something you have taught or will teach your children about manners? I ask this because when my sons were very young, I'd guess as young as 3 or 4, whenever they said "thank you", they waited for the "you're welcome". If they didn't get that response, they pointed it out - every time! It's kinda funny to me that my 4 yr old knew more manners than the waitresses waiting on us.
I taught my children to say "you're welcome", and that's what they say. But if one of them suddenly responded with "no problem", I wouldn't correct them, because to me, the meaning would be the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter