(No politics!!) how impacted will Guardians in Epcot be now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they can get JJ Abrams to do Guardians 3

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :P

I mean, I'd tap Taika Waititi first and foremost. Abbrams can make an alright beginning, but if you want someone to come in and give a satisfying finale, it's Waititi.

I really liked what Waititi did on Thor 3. His style seems well-suited for the tone of Guardians too.

Could always bring in Rian Johnson to kill off all the original characters and then try and reboot it completely. I kid, I kid... sort of.
Yeah that was my first thought for the joke... but I thought that was to mean. :)

I actually didn't like what Waititi did on Thor 3. It was too lighthearted and jokey for such heavy subject matter that I wish had been taken a bit more seriously and dramatic. Don't get me wrong - I liked Thor 3 - but I think Ant-man handled the humor/drama balance a little better.

That said, he'd be perfect for Guardians.

Is there any chance Disney responds to the open letter to fans of Guardians written and signed by the cast members that was posted today?

For those that didn't see, here is the letter from the cast members of GotG:

38032795_10155852537813460_7748523522024013824_n.png

Is there any chance Disney responds to the open letter to fans of Guardians written and signed by the cast members that was posted today?

Honestly, no. I think it is done for this - but perhaps helps him get another job on another project and I just hope this helps for the next time that something like this happens that a) people think before they post on social media and b) maybe there is more analysis before actions are taken - or at least people are more understanding of companies taking a bit of a "wait and let's do some digging before acting"

Feels like Disney pulled the trigger on this pretty fast - wasn't like it was weeks of people petitioning them to fire him or anything. I can't help but think part of that quick reaction was in response to how much they got hammered by not getting rid of Lasseter faster and letting him do the whole "Hiatus" thing. And also just how other places seem to get hammered if they don't act quickly and get praised when they do .... hopefully this can help ease that need for and instant pound of flesh

Honestly, no. I think it is done for this - but perhaps helps him get another job on another project and I just hope this helps for the next time that something like this happens that a) people think before they post on social media and b) maybe there is more analysis before actions are taken - or at least people are more understanding of companies taking a bit of a "wait and let's do some digging before acting"

Feels like Disney pulled the trigger on this pretty fast - wasn't like it was weeks of people petitioning them to fire him or anything. I can't help but think part of that quick reaction was in response to how much they got hammered by not getting rid of Lasseter faster and letting him do the whole "Hiatus" thing. And also just how other places seem to get hammered if they don't act quickly and get praised when they do .... hopefully this can help ease that need for and instant pound of flesh
I definitely think Disney had a quick trigger here. When you look at something like the MLB who's just requiring sensitivity training. Sure some feel that is not enough but people do change over time and something that was tweeted 7+ years ago may not be what they believe today. Do I think he should be rehired? I am not sure. I definitely don't think he should be blacklisted and not able to get another job ever again though.

News

Letter from fans and cast regarding the James Gunn situation...

https://twitter.com/prattprattpratt/status/1023971830598692864?s=21

For me, that letter carries a lot of weight, especially from Chris Pratt. I do think we as a society have developed a social media mob mentality and a kind of vigilante justice. I definitely don’t defend his statements, but I do try to allow for the fact that people change. Though I readily admit that I jumped on that mob train and passed judgment. However, when people he has worked with over a long period of time come together to defend him and his present-day person, I have to give that a lot of credibility. They are placing their own reputations on the line.

For me, that letter carries a lot of weight, especially from Chris Pratt. I do think we as a society have developed a social media mob mentality and a kind of vigilante justice. I definitely don’t defend his statements, but I do try to allow for the fact that people change. Though I readily admit that I jumped on that mob train and passed judgment. However, when people he has worked with over a long period of time come together to defend him and his present-day person, I have to give that a lot of credibility. They are placing their own reputations on the line.
Gunn's "jokes" are more troubling to me than Roseanne's "joke" that got her fired. If I worked for the FBI, I would consider a warrant and search of his hard drive. The "jokes" are just that disgusting. Is he a pedophile? Is she a racist? I honestly don't really know from those tweets. Disney should just move on from both of them.

Last edited:

Indeed. It's quite a bold move.
I've heard a statement a few times on a radio station I listen to that has really struck me: "It seems in our society today, everything is allowed, yet nothing is forgiven." Not everything can be forgiven, but media mobs don't allow that chance.
In a digital world, we don't know people enough to know true character. It's a scary place to be for many reasons.

Gunn's "jokes" are more troubling to me than Roseanne's "joke" that got her fired. If I worked for the FBI, I would consider a warrant and search of his hard drive. The "jokes" are just that disgusting. Is he a pedophile? Is she a racist? I honestly don't really know from those tweets. Disney should just move on from both of them.

I agree, and that is what they have done. I do feel like time matters though. It is quite clear that Roseanne continues to believe her "jokes" are acceptable, or at least continues to put herself in a position to run her mouth inappropriately and then try and halfheartedly take it back later. Gunn at least appears to have realized, quite a few years ago, that his "jokes" needed to end. There is a difference there that I think some people can legitimately point to. That being said, it's quite clear Disney just washed hands of both of them. I expect they will have to wash their hands of a few more as this continues and they are setting a zero tolerance bar. We will see how it holds up.

Agreed. To be honest, though, Disney knew what they were getting into with BOTH of these “jokers”!!

Roseanne’s history is well known — no reason to think she’d change. Gunn’s tweets were out there as well — there’s just renewed interest now as people compete for scalps more intensely.

I don’t like it when someone is accused and sidelined without an investigation of allegations against them. In this case, they have the evidence, though — can’t look into someone’s heart but we can read their tweets. Still feels like there are more shoes to drop over time for the entertainment industry as they now decide to care about certain behavior.

Particularly with Gunn — not a chance that it’s worth it to Disney with its brand to keep someone who joked about pedophilia. I mean, come on!

I agree, and that is what they have done. I do feel like time matters though. It is quite clear that Roseanne continues to believe her "jokes" are acceptable, or at least continues to put herself in a position to run her mouth inappropriately and then try and halfheartedly take it back later. Gunn at least appears to have realized, quite a few years ago, that his "jokes" needed to end. There is a difference there that I think some people can legitimately point to. That being said, it's quite clear Disney just washed hands of both of them. I expect they will have to wash their hands of a few more as this continues and they are setting a zero tolerance bar. We will see how it holds up.

And the question is, how far back do you go? What is the “statute of limitations” on a social media post? Because when you do set the zero tolerance bar, it is a slippery slope.

And I agree with you @JaxDad, I would totally have supported an FBI investigation, if for no other reason than to teach him that words have consequences. And I have thought what kind of twisted mind even comes up with those “jokes”. But, at some point, we have to allow for the fact that people really can and do change.

there’s just renewed interest now as people compete for scalps more intensely.
This is part of my issue with all of these old tweets from several people coming to light. Its always said that employers and what not search individuals social media. Well with this all happening is that really true or do they just not look that far back? Also who is digging up all these tweets? Do people have nothing better to do with their lives?

This is part of my issue with all of these old tweets from several people coming to light. Its always said that employers and what not search individuals social media. Well with this all happening is that really true or do they just not look that far back? Also who is digging up all these tweets? Do people have nothing better to do with their lives?
It's really not that hard to dig. I remembering not hiring a young lady for our consulting firm back in 2008-2009, because a routine internet search had found a letter to the editor she had written to a free paper several years prior. The letter was disparaging to a government agency with whom we did business, and we could not afford to have them find it later.

It's really not that hard to dig. I remembering not hiring a young lady for our consulting firm back in 2008-2009, because a routine internet search had found a letter to the editor she had written to a free paper several years prior. The letter was disparaging to a government agency with whom we did business, and we could not afford to have them find it later.
So that goes back to why aren't companies (and sports teams) seeing this sooner or do they not care as much as they say?

Was she being truthful in her disparaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter