No Pixie Dust Yesterday!! I Hate Magic Bands!

Here is the thing: Technology doesn't always work. And there is no way to guarantee that it will. And when it goes down, it is baaaad!

Anyone looking for a guarantee that anything computerized will function as it should needs to realize they are looking for the impossible. We can all say Yeah, It Should Work? But unfortunately that is not realistic. Not that it makes it any better for the people affected by computers when they decide to go on strike. But take a deep breath and realize that sometimes stuff happens. No way to avoid it, unfortunately.

I totally agree with you. It does not matter how many people were affected. It matters that anyone was affected. Unless it is happening to you it is easy to pass judgment.
I was hesitant about the MB in the first place, now I am beginning to worry. Our trip is little less than two months away, we have our hotel, dining and fp+ reservations linked together. Is it even possible to request KTTW cards or will it cause more problems if we try to use them with our MB.

Here's the link to the Terms and Conditions: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...onditions.html
I'd print that info and take it with you. Then if someone says you cant' have a KTTW you have the proof that yes you can.

The magic bands may work great for you(obviously, they work well a lot) and you may not need the card, but you have it just in case. I'm superstitious, if I have a back up plan, I never need it! It's when I don't have a plan, I run into problems.:eek:

Here is the thing: Technology doesn't always work. And there is no way to guarantee that it will. And when it goes down, it is baaaad!

Anyone looking for a guarantee that anything computerized will function as it should needs to realize they are looking for the impossible. We can all say Yeah, It Should Work? But unfortunately that is not realistic. Not that it makes it any better for the people affected by computers when they decide to go on strike. But take a deep breath and realize that sometimes stuff happens. No way to avoid it, unfortunately.

One glitch once, yes, but every single time I go through the gates I am stopped.

It just doesn't work on the first try. I have to go through the same questions "Yes this is the finger I used" I had to wait at the gate at TL while someone came to reset it (goodbye shady spots). But I kept trying, and trying and then it turned green, so I moved on and joined my family.

The CM at Epcot had me go through some loops. Exactly matching the Mickey heads, wait a second and then put my finger on and roll it.

My family had no issues.

maxiesmom said:

One can realize that "stuff happens," still be calm, and not be happy with the company. Working 100% of the time is unrealistic, yes....but its also not unreasonable to say that the problems people are experiencing are not infrequent and that if Disney is going to put all of their eggs in this mm+ basket, then these issues shouldn't be happening as frequently as they are.

One glitch once, yes, but every single time I go through the gates I am stopped.

It just doesn't work on the first try. I have to go through the same questions "Yes this is the finger I used" I had to wait at the gate at TL while someone came to reset it (goodbye shady spots). But I kept trying, and trying and then it turned green, so I moved on and joined my family.

The CM at Epcot had me go through some loops. Exactly matching the Mickey heads, wait a second and then put my finger on and roll it.

My family had no issues.
This sounds more like the TSA than Disney World! Are you sure you aren't imagining things and you were really at the airport?;)

Our first day was also 6/29. We got to POR around 8:15 and the CM noted a problem with 3 of our bands. Within 10 minutes, she had it fixed and we were on our way to AK. We had no trouble with entry at the parks or hotel. However, we did notice the MDE was having a lot of tech issues, especially later in the day. We had dinner reservations at Sanaa (AKL) and security asked us for a photo ID because we were staying at POR. We had our bands, not our wallets. He eventually used another scanner to ID us and our server had issues too.
Overall, I really like the bands...especially when returning to the room after a long, hot day.

Our first day was also 6/29. We got to POR around 8:15 and the CM noted a problem with 3 of our bands. Within 10 minutes, she had it fixed and we were on our way to AK. We had no trouble with entry at the parks or hotel. However, we did notice the MDE was having a lot of tech issues, especially later in the day. We had dinner reservations at Sanaa (AKL) and security asked us for a photo ID because we were staying at POR. We had our bands, not our wallets. He eventually used another scanner to ID us and our server had issues too.
Overall, I really like the bands...especially when returning to the room after a long, hot day.

Were you being waved in to park your car? I would think you'd have a driver's license in that case.

Anyway, I sure hope this gets resolved. When we were there in March there was one day when the MDE was down and it was just a complete mess. With all of these glitches, you'd think they'd have a Plan B (and C, D, E, and F).

This is probably a stupid question but are we required to carry a photo ID with us? We have gone to Disney once a year for the past 15 years and never did before. We never really had any issues with the KTTW except when my dh kept them in the same pocket as his cell phone and kept deactivating it. He was always able to get new ones at the hotel, and I do not recall anyone ever asking him for his ID. I hope that we will have a choice between the MB and KTTW cards as we would rather just carry the cards. My kids are already complaining about wearing the MBs as they simply don't like them.

This is probably a stupid question but are we required to carry a photo ID with us? We have gone to Disney once a year for the past 15 years and never did before. We never really had any issues with the KTTW except when my dh kept them in the same pocket as his cell phone and kept deactivating it. He was always able to get new ones at the hotel, and I do not recall anyone ever asking him for his ID. I hope that we will have a choice between the MB and KTTW cards as we would rather just carry the cards. My kids are already complaining about wearing the MBs as they simply don't like them.
If you want to avoid waits at guest services at the park always have a photo ID. They can verify tickets on their ipads with a photo ID at the entrance.

I am a cynical person for sure. In May we had a 4 day hopper (military) and a single day ticket. We had to go to guest services at AK to activate the hoppers and prioritize the tickets to use single day first. Yes, it was done correctly, but each time we scanned our MB's for park entry or for a FP+, I cringed, just waiting for something to go wrong.

Technology will have flaws and hiccups, and even humans (CM's) will make mistakes. Absolutely unreasonable to expect otherwise. Should their mistakes be 5 in 100 or less? Hopefully, but it will happen.

And I do think selling water to you would be tacky given that error.

They were SELLING water to all the guests forced to wait at guest relations because of their screw-up?

if that's true, that is completely unacceptable and should seriously be reported to local news. I'm not being sarcastic either. That is absolutely disgusting. I wasn't even there and I'm fuming just reading about it.:furious:

We always have ours so we can enjoy an adult beverage

I hope that we will have a choice between the MB and KTTW cards as we would rather just carry the cards.

You have a choice -- here's what I just posted on this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3296524

myself said:
Yes - you can get a regular plastic card to use instead of a band. I just did this in April.

When I got my card, the cast member was being a real stinker and said the card would only be good to open the room. She kept repeating that "everything's on the band" in an annoyed voice. I think she wanted me to just go away and not bother her. I insisted that I get the card anyway and she finally made it. The card ended up working great for everything (rooms, park entrances, fastpass+s).

On the official Disney site, it says in black and white, that you can always get a card on the bottom of this page:

disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology

Official Disney said:
If you prefer, you may elect to use a card instead of a MagicBand.

They were SELLING water to all the guests forced to wait at guest relations because of their screw-up?

if that's true, that is completely unacceptable and should seriously be reported to local news. I'm not being sarcastic either. That is absolutely disgusting. I wasn't even there and I'm fuming just reading about it.:furious:

To me this is the biggest issue that came out of this thread. Their customer service has gone so downhill it's not even funny. What's next, getting stuck on Splash Mountain and a CM comes around selling water and food to the passengers? Even airlines don't pull that crap.

I have had AP in the past and used to use their old finger grip ID and then the finger. Many times mine didn't read and I had to show it. Now no more biometrics for me, I just show my pass and ID. They probably hate me, but I'm sick of all the tracking etc. Show pass and ID and back in shielded wallet.

To me this is the biggest issue that came out of this thread. Their customer service has gone so downhill it's not even funny. What's next, getting stuck on Splash Mountain and a CM comes around selling water and food to the passengers?

Even airlines don't pull that crap.

You had me with you until that last line.

You had me with you until that last line.

Perhaps you're right but I never had a Delta associate sell me water when i'm waiting to check in my carry on because the overhead was full. That borders on profiteering, especially at Disney prices and in the summer heat if they are making them wait outside.

Perhaps you're right but I never had a Delta associate sell me water when i'm waiting to check in my carry on because the overhead was full. That borders on profiteering, especially at Disney prices and in the summer heat if they are making them wait outside.

So Disney's new slogan can be either:

Walt Disney World. Our customer service is just as good as domestic airlines!! :cheer2:

or

Walt Disney World. Our customer service is even better than domestic airlines!! :cheer2:

Neither sounds terribly attractive. :guilty:

To me this is the biggest issue that came out of this thread. Their customer service has gone so downhill it's not even funny. What's next, getting stuck on Splash Mountain and a CM comes around selling water and food to the passengers?

Now you're just being silly.

If you get stuck on Splash Mountain, they come around selling t-shirts and towels from the souvenier shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter