No Park/Romantic Getaway - POR or WL?

*~PrincessBelle~*

DIS Veteran
DH and I are looking to take a romantic long weekend away together in late September/October. This trip we wouldnt really be going to the parks (other than one day at EP for Food & Wine) but rather we would just relax by the pool (so good pool is key here), enjoy some nice meals, maybe a fishing excursion a carriage ride around the resort and take in the fireworks from the poly beach in the evenings - maybe even do the luau.

Money really isnt a factor - both resorts fit in our budget however the price difference between POR and WL could pay for some of the extras we would like to do so the practical side of thinks that would be the better choice. Although, DH is very much an outdoors/hunter type person which is why I really think he would love the theming of the WL (I know he would fall in love with the place) but also I think the Alligator Bayou section of POR would appeal as well.

I have never stayed at POR but have stayed at WL once back in 2010 - DH hasnt stayed at either.

Which would you choose?

*~PrincessBelle~* said:
DH and I are looking to take a romantic long weekend away together in late September/October. This trip we wouldnt really be going to the parks (other than one day at EP for Food & Wine) but rather we would just relax by the pool (so good pool is key here), enjoy some nice meals, maybe a fishing excursion a carriage ride around the resort and take in the fireworks from the poly beach in the evenings - maybe even do the luau.

Money really isnt a factor - both resorts fit in our budget however the price difference between POR and WL could pay for some of the extras we would like to do so the practical side of thinks that would be the better choice. Although, DH is very much an outdoors/hunter type person which is why I really think he would love the theming of the WL (I know he would fall in love with the place) but also I think the Alligator Bayou section of POR would appeal as well.

I have never stayed at POR but have stayed at WL once back in 2010 - DH hasnt stayed at either.

Which would you choose?

We have stayed ay both, but my money is on WL! Either one would be great. When we have stayed at each resort, we were sad that we didn't have more time to relax and hang out at the resort. They are BOTH great for that. You will be happy with either choice. Both have great pools, both have a relaxed, outdoorsy vibe.

The reasons I say WL is a better choice:
- closer to Magic Kingdom, and you can also see the fireworks sometimes from the beach.
- easy access by boat to the other MK resorts, so you can resort hop without driving
- better restaurants than POR (although in my opinion POR restaurants are fine)
- they just redid the rooms in WL so they got rid of the ugly bedspreads

Hope you have fun!

WL for the private balconies with a lake view. We find it relaxing for the early morning cup of coffee and view of the serene water and romantic in the evening as the sun goes down.

Which would you choose?

We've never stayed at POR, but we love the WL. My choice would be the WL without hesitation. The grounds are beautiful, you have easy access to the Poly beach, the lobby is a great place to sit and relax, and it's very convenient to the monorail resorts for a variety of great dining choices.

I would pick WL for the:

atmosphere
layout (all one building)
great theme and lobby
balconies
room service
boat ride to CR (you have lots of dining options on the monorail)
boat rentals (those little water mice are fun in the big lake)

WL would be my recommendation between the two you are looking at. Artists Point is a great place for a romantic meal, and you can easily catch the boat to CR (which has some great restaurants), and you can easily get to the Poly and GF (also some great food).

If your husband is an outdoorsman have you considered AKL? We're doing a split stay in Sep between AKL and WL. My aunt and uncle stayed at AKL (he's a fisherman and hunter) and they said they preferred it over WL.

Wilderness Lodge for sure! I normally pick the resort that nobody has been to but in your case, WL would be best. I like POR a lot but staying there without visiting parks would be tough.

I second the recommendation for AKL though. Very similar price point to WL.

Wilderness Lodge is so very romantic! We spent our honeymoon there - my favorite hotel in The World.

I agree that AKL is gorgeous and the zero entry pool looks amazing!

WL would be my recommendation between the two you are looking at. Artists Point is a great place for a romantic meal, and you can easily catch the boat to CR (which has some great restaurants), and you can easily get to the Poly and GF (also some great food).

If your husband is an outdoorsman have you considered AKL? We're doing a split stay in Sep between AKL and WL. My aunt and uncle stayed at AKL (he's a fisherman and hunter) and they said they preferred it over WL.

Wilderness Lodge for sure! I normally pick the resort that nobody has been to but in your case, WL would be best. I like POR a lot but staying there without visiting parks would be tough.

I second the recommendation for AKL though. Very similar price point to WL.

Wilderness Lodge is so very romantic! We spent our honeymoon there - my favorite hotel in The World.

I agree that AKL is gorgeous and the zero entry pool looks amazing!

Wow thanks everyone for their recommendations - looks like WL is the clear winner here! Thanks for recommending AKL too although we did stay there for a few nights on our honeymoon (savannah view). DH did enjoy it but I was hoping for something new for him...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter