No more Trick or Treat at the BCV for me

DVC is timeshare, designed as a luxurious item for affluent people. I do not believe if one can afford DVC and its recurrent annual fee, they would do such hideous thing.

The problem is, DVC is rented by many cheapos that want to save money. They are too cheap to pay for a Disney Resort. So what can you expect from the same type of people, when given an opportunity to collect some Halloween decoration? I bet the same type of people would steal Christmas tree ornament in the resort lobby if no one is watching. They must also think, why would I care? I do not own this place anyway (vs. a real DVC owner).

Regarding your first sentence, crime knows no income boundaries. Bernie Madoff, for example. Wealthy people can get greedy, too.

Regarding the second statement, I own 1200+ DVC points and I have sometimes rented them as well. Not because I am a "cheapo"..

Disclaimer: I have never stolen Halloween nor Christmas decorations..

Please try to look at all sides before laying blame. :)

Occasionally, like this year, we can't be home when we expect trick and treaters. Around here, there were horrible storms on October 31 (our electricity was out from 9pm-3am), and the communities changed beggars' night to Nov 1, but we already had plans for that evening.
When that happens, I leave out candy, but, presume that somebody might take all of it. This year, we left a bag with treat bags for whoever might come while we were out. To my surprise, when I got back home, none had been taken. But, some kids came to our door after I got home (they saw me going into our driveway).
Actually, it happened only once to me in 35 years of leaving out treats that the kids took all the candy while we were gone. But, a couple times, they have knocked over pumpkins.

DVC is timeshare, designed as a luxurious item for affluent people. I do not believe if one can afford DVC and its recurrent annual fee, they would do such hideous thing.

The problem is, DVC is rented by many cheapos that want to save money. They are too cheap to pay for a Disney Resort. So what can you expect from the same type of people, when given an opportunity to collect some Halloween decoration? I bet the same type of people would steal Christmas tree ornament in the resort lobby if no one is watching. They must also think, why would I care? I do not own this place anyway (vs. a real DVC owner).

Wow, I have read a few elitist statements on this board, but that absolutely takes the cake! I really want to tell you what I think about your statement, but believe it or not I'm not wealthy AND have some impulse control. So, I'll have to agree with the following posters:

I hope this was a joke. If not...you are delusional.

Agree with you 100%!
And in my humble opinion and years of life experience some of the "better off" folks are the worst, they have this sense of entitlement that is obnoxious and their children are some of the worst behaved I've ever seen.

I am really offended by what you have written and obviously think. DVC would not work for our family on so many levels. We are lucky enough to be able to stay at DVC resort at a cheap rate occasionally. We always treat our rooms with respect and would never dream of taking anything that did not belong to us,

There's one thing I will say, though, that disproves your point. Many trip reports to the DVC resorts mention that the rooms and public areas are quite banged up and in need of repair - nicks in furniture, spills, stains, broken items, etc. If people who "own" the DVC really cared about taking care of their stuff, it would be in better shape, no? Or do you think that renters are causing all the damage and incurring expenses for those careful and unfortunate (but wealthy) owners?

10675814686_1bf7f9fb05_o.jpg

Dang cheapos, get out of my resort!!!!! It's only for me I tell you, me me me me me!!!!!
And stop having all that fun. You're at Disney world for crying out loud.

9k=

IMO the problem is people, doesn't matter if they are owners, renters, or cash customers. There are bad apples in every group.

We bought BLT and before we stayed there most of the reservations were cash guests staying in undeclared units. The next group were owners, and the next a few renters.

Our room was a mess, broken light fixture, a cork size hole in the ceiling above the kitchen island, broken blind on the door to the balcony and marks on the walls. I assumed that our room was not the norm until the DIS posts started rolling in and we talked to the CM's at BLT.

:earsboy: Bill

All I am going to say is

Money DOES NOT equate to morals...

You have a very good heart and I wouldn't let some ignorant troll ruin that for you. You did a very nice thing and I am sure many people appreciated it.:hug:

Totally agree.

There's always a jerk somewhere, cheer up maybe who ever took the candy got sick to their stomach. :stir:

All I am going to say is

Money DOES NOT equate to morals...

I totally agree.
Since whether you're a DVC member, you rented a reservation, or you paid cash, it is not cheap to stay at BCV.
One of them is a thief with no morals.:(

We rented DVC for many years before actually purchasing for ourselves and NOT because we were cheapos but because we wanted to make sure that DVC was the right fit for us. We were the same people then as we are today.

Agreed - we are a family capable of ownership, but just starting out w/ young ones. We are not sure of the fit quite yet and will be renters until we decide if the investment meets the needs of the family. In my opinion the structure of the program (rent to buy) it what enables its growth and builds value in the points. Makes us no better or worse than others. Just smart with our money. We would treat (and do) any property with respect and can only hope our children do the same.

I am sorry but you are way off on this thought. Just as many members abuse the rooms as do non members, as I know this from friends that work there.

A Jerk can come in many descriptions and not all renters are cheapos. Ironic based on your Profile you have no problem renting to those cheapos.

If your statement is true (Which it is not !!!) then you my friend are part of the problem, you call these people cheapos (which is so wrong) but on the other hand you have no problem renting to these so called cheeps&. I have been a DVC member for 16 yrs now and its not for everyone, I know people who yes are well off and the cost doesn't matter, and people who scratch and save just so they can have a piece of this great system. Your statements are not only idiotic but very off base.

Unfortunately, theft, vandalism, the defaming of national monuments, violence on the helpless and acts such as these are not bound by what social or economic class you were born in or out of, they are born out of ignorance.

Loved what you did, please don't stop doing what pleases you and many others due to the unfortunate acts of a few ignorant souls! Realistically, they are to be pitied and the only thing we can do is pray for them that one day they see the error of their ways!

What you did/do is nice but I am surprised that Disney lets you do it. Placing anything in the halls could be considered a fire escape hazard and the potential liability of someone getting sick on the candy or claiming to get sick is a real possibility.

It's a shame that society has become what it has.

What you did/do is nice but I am surprised that Disney lets you do it. Placing anything in the halls could be considered a fire escape hazard and the potential liability of someone getting sick on the candy or claiming to get sick is a real possibility.

What she did IS so kind. But leaving that small tables was no different than an empty Room Service tray or a bag of dirty linen in the hall.

Wonderful thought and I hope you do do it again next year. Don't let the bad apple spoil the bunch.

What she did IS so kind. But leaving that small tables was no different than an empty Room Service tray or a bag of dirty linen in the hall.

Wonderful thought and I hope you do do it again next year. Don't let the bad apple spoil the bunch.

Actually it is not the same. Disney owns the hotel, and while this is a sweet gesture with good intent someone could tamper with the candy then the OP and even possibly Disney could be sued.

Room service trays and laundry should be picked up by Disney personnel since that is their property.

There is a difference.

Society is different now, and I would be hesitant to take anything. Years ago there was a WL treasure box, organized by someone on Diaboards. The idea was you followed directions to find it, and left something in it, and took something from it. It was discontinued due to fear of violence, poison, who knows, but discontinued. When I posted that it was a shame it was discontinued, someone told me " To get over it!" So, even being sad about societal changes isn't allowed!

OP, I think it was a lovely gesture, thank you for doing it while you could.

Bobbi:)

PS. I did participate in the WL Treasure Box, but was scared to go messing with leaves. All the while I wondered, could a snake be around!

Funny, that's the first thing I thought when I read the original post. I know your intentions were good, but I can't believe they let you leave the table in the doorway.

Still what you did was pretty cool and despite someone making off with your goods, I'm sure you made some people happy with the free candy. You may have made some little kid's day. Or big kid :thumbsup2
pixiedust:

I've rubbed elbows with affluent, middle class and poor people. Believe me some affluents people can be jerks as much as the others. There are jerks in all station of life as there are descent. There's no monopoly.

I think what the OP did is such a lovely gesture - I'm sorry someone spoiled it for her - it took away some of the innocence and fun from her. Let's face it as adults there are times we all want to be able to BELIEVE. Isn't that why we go to Disney - for a little magic.

As to the DVC being for the affluent - let me tell you something

We brought in 2001 because we took the kids down every year for winter break.
Since our original purchase - (when we could afford it) I have lost my job through downsizing twice and my husband has taken a 25% pay cut and now has to pay half of his medical insurance premium. Yet even though our belts are much tighter than they once were - we hold our DVC membership like it's gold - and we go every year but on the CHEAP!. We drive, get a 1 bedroom and eat every meal in the room - purchase 10 day non expiration tickets and get 5 trips out of them - we spend most of our time sitting by the pool reading , window shopping in downtown Disney, or resort hopping. So much for the rentees being the cheapos because I'm one of the budget minded owners. Still I go every year most years more than once - because getting to Disney gives me a peace of mind and the chance to believe in "Magic".

My guess is that young adults took it, thinking it was funny..... Not kids, aka "snowflakes".

Sorry this happened. I was also surprised putting tables in the hallway would even be allowed, but I guess it is, if you do this every year. (liability concerns,. etc)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter