No more smoking or vaping in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will in fact make MORE people smoke in the parks in my opinion. I have told a couple people already and they have said they will reconsider their next trips. I think its a disaster waiting to happen, people thought it was bad before with people smoking in the parks outside of designated areas, now that people have to smoke outside of the parks people will do it in every hidden corner. Does Disney really think that people will follow the rules now? They moved the smoking sections so far away that there was no reason so anyone to wander through without needing to have a cigarette. Yes I am a smoker and have ALWAYS hiked to the DSAs each time and have never EVER smoked anywhere I wasnt supposed to (before anyone comes at me with that). If this is the case then I think they should remove all the alcohol from the parks as well because I am sick of the double standard as someone who follows the rules. And ice? So I am staying at the resort (which does not have fridges with freezers in the rooms, so how am I supposed to freeze an ice pack???) and cannot bring in my small cooler for drinks/snacks/lunch and use ice? Im sure there is a logical reason behind it but I just cant figure it out!

For many people, yes, it is next to impossible to quit smoking. Be glad you don't have something like that in your life.

100% agree on this one. But remember, it is NEXT to, but not impossible.

You'll need e Real motivation to help you quit. I tried to quit few times and always found an excuse to go back to smoking.

It didn't happen untill our 2 little girls were running toward me with open arms 'till they got close to me. Then they stopped just inches away from giving me the hug because I smelled so bad...

Going back to the parks, for those who vape, is nicotine the only ingredient in those drops?

100% agree on this one. But remember, it is NEXT to, but not impossible.

You'll need e Real motivation to help you quit. I tried to quit few times and always found an excuse to go back to smoking.

It didn't happen untill our 2 little girls were running toward me with open arms 'till they got close to me. Then they stopped just inches away from giving me the hug because I smelled so bad...

Going back to the parks, for those who vape, is nicotine the only ingredient in those drops?

For some even "real motivation" is not enough. The addiction is just too strong. I have quit and did well for 2 years and started back. I know I can quit again. Chantix is a wonderful thing. But you can't say that "everyone" will quit with the right motivation otherwise you wouldn't see so many people smoking and dragging around an oxygen tank.

Nicotine isn't even in all the drops for vapes. They control how much nicotine is in them. And some are now using the vapes for anxiety and depression with CBD in them.

I hope they will also examine the smoking areas at the resorts. During our stay at WL a few years ago, the smoking area was right outside the doors that led from the hotel lobby to the bus stop, so we had to walk through that each time.

I don't understand the comment about alcohol being a double standard. If I drink a beer near you none of it gets in your tummy, but if you smoke near me it sure will get in my lungs.

I'm sorry for any of you really upset about this though. Maybe it will be the tipping point for some to kick the addiction.

To me it would make the most sense to not allow them past security/bag check, otherwise you just end up with the exact scenario that happens right now, which is the people who don't follow the rules regardless light up wherever they want. I did actually notice several on my last trip.

So as a smoker staying on resort and paying the the crazy prices to stay on resort, I would have to keep my cigarettes at the hotel? Works fine for people who may have a car there (could you imagine hiking all the way to the monorail, then taking the tram to your car, then doing it all again to go back if you were at MK?), but resort people? That would cause too much of a hassle for everyone.

Seems like they could have tried enforcing the rules they had before they made stricter ones that they will STILL have to enforce. What are they going to do? A pat down for everyone to make sure they have no cigarettes? Wouldn't have been simpler to just train the CMs to direct smokers to the DSAs? And make those areas easy to spot?

I think all DSAs should be out of the way and set up so that non-smokers have to be consciously trying to walk through them to do so. No one but the smokers should have to deal with it. But I wonder how many smokers will stop spending time in the shops and restaurants to run out and smoke or go off site for meals so they can smoke?

In August it was pouring rain. We were sitting under awning in front of Starbucks in HS. It was crowded but lady pulled out cigarette and started to smoke - I just nicely stated it was not a smoking area. She didn’t say anything and put it out.

I hate smoking but if people do where allowed I don’t care.

I hope they will also examine the smoking areas at the resorts. During our stay at WL a few years ago, the smoking area was right outside the doors that led from the hotel lobby to the bus stop, so we had to walk through that each time.

I don't understand the comment about alcohol being a double standard. If I drink a beer near you none of it gets in your tummy, but if you smoke near me it sure will get in my lungs.

I'm sorry for any of you really upset about this though. Maybe it will be the tipping point for some to kick the addiction.

I would imagine its going to more of a tipping point for some to stop going than it is to quit smoking.

I support this, but see the possibility of people just doing it wherever now. It’s so restrictive that some people won’t adhere to the new rule (probably that same ones who didn’t use the DSA anyway).

So as a smoker staying on resort and paying the the crazy prices to stay on resort, I would have to keep my cigarettes at the hotel? Works fine for people who may have a car there (could you imagine hiking all the way to the monorail, then taking the tram to your car, then doing it all again to go back if you were at MK?), but resort people? That would cause too much of a hassle for everyone.

It is no more of a hassle than having a currently banned item on your person. Which happens every day.

I know some of the parks also have lockers outside of them. Maybe renting one of those would be a solution, if not a perfect one.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Too much of a hassle and I would take my vacation dollars elsewhere (which I certainly will do now).

I visit many places that don't allow smoking, but they also have designated places that are out of the way. If Disney had enforced the rules more strictly and placed in more easily accessible but out of the way (I always felt the one they had where Dole whips are scored was a horrible place for one) then they wouldn't have had to resort to this ban. Same thing with strollers and coolers.

I've heard a security concern because it's too difficult to thoroughly check the contents of a cooler full of ice.

When I was there a few weeks ago, my rotten luck of always picking the wrong lines landed me - on different days, different parks - behind 2 separate families with soft sided coolers. Security spent significant time on the coolers both times, taking out ice, removing food, etc., to look through the entire bag. Coolers are packed more densely than a typical purse or backpack, and it definitely took more time for the coolers to be examined.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Too much of a hassle and I would take my vacation dollars elsewhere (which I certainly will do now).

I visit many places that don't allow smoking, but they also have designated places that are out of the way. If Disney had enforced the rules more strictly and placed in more easily accessible but out of the way (I always felt the one they had where Dole whips are scored was a horrible place for one) then they wouldn't have had to resort to this ban. Same thing with strollers and coolers.

I never understood that smoking section by where the Dole Whips were either, I tried to avoid that section when it was there because there was always families wanting to sit there to have their snack, and I didnt think it was fair for those guests! For example at Hollywood Studios there is ONE smoking section (way down past the Tower of Terror for people who wouldnt be familiar with where it was). No one would have to go down there unless they were going to smoke. I agree as well with the poster who said they should just enforce it better. As a smoker I always have followed the rules (anywhere I go, I stand far away from doors to prevent people from having to walk through my disgusting smoke, walk to the designated areas and will put it out if children are around). I know not everyone follows the rules, but for those that do this is just another reason on top of the price increases and other rules to try something different.

Although when I told my husband about the ban, I was expecting him to say we will just not be able to go anymore, he said it might help him decide to quit!! Big change from the guy I had to BEG to actually take a trip to Disney a few years ago!! Maybe it will help some other Disney lovers like us finally kick the habit!

I totally agree. I smoke but I can and have gone most if not all day without one when in a place that doesn't allow it or if the DSAs are spread way out. But I do object to them choosing to ban something (anything) over just enforcing the rules they have.

Other theme parks have out of the way places that no one has to walk through at all. And I have witnessed them enforcing the rule. So I know it is possible.

Maybe it will help some other Disney lovers like us finally kick the habit!

That's an awesome way to think about it!

Personally my DBF vapes but on our last trip together he left his vape in our hotel room and just went a couple of hours without it. To me it's not a big deal especially if you plan on half days at parks to relax at the resorts but then again I don't smoke/vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter