• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more saving seats for the parade

The rumor (and repeat, RUMOR) I've heard is Signature Plus and Premier will have it included.
When they raised the price of the lower APs I figured that they were waiting for MaxPass to re-price the others.

I think it's the extremes that get to me. I don't mind people waiting for a parade at all. I totally get that people watching can be enjoyable. And I think it would be a lot of fun to pop into Disneyland for an afternoon to chill out, take in the ambience, and watch a parade. If a family wants to sit on a bench and wait for a parade while chatting and eating dinner and people watching, I completely get it. It might not be my choice, but I'm okay with someone else wanting to do it.

What bothers me is when a person has an "it's all about me and my experience" attitude. I really try to ignore these behaviors while I'm vacationing at Disney, but sometimes it's difficult when it's really blatant. I don't like when arguments start about whether problems are created by AP holders or non-AP guests, or locals or out-of-area guests, or Marvel or traditional fans. I've been an AP holder and a non-AP visitor, I was a local growing up who moved out of the area and I love both Beauty and the Beast and GotG. I think these behaviors can happen with all these groups.

I think people who tend to be kind and considerate of others just can't understand when other people don't behave this way in return. For me, this problem isn't about the nice family who sits for two hours chatting and laughing while eating an ice cream cone on the curb as they wait for the parade in their favorite spot. This type of family is likely to move over to let a visiting family with a 2 year old have a better view and chat with the parents about the best way to get a good view at Frozen.

The acts which caused nice families like this to have to change how they spend their time are people who spread out 15 blankets while leaving one person to guard their "territory" or people who form a blockade of ECVs, strollers and backpacks that caus even more crowding along an already jam-packed Main Street. These "blanket hoarders" aren't the only inconsiderate people to visit the parks by any means. They are kissing cousins to the people who elbow to a prime WOC viewing spot at the last minute, use flash photography during the Bayou section of PotC, and "join" their family by pushing through 100 people in line.

Unfortunately, these inconsiderate people may have spoiled it for the families who were not abusing the system that was previously allowed. I for one am relieved that I may not have to make the stressful decision of how much time to devote to getting a "good" spot.

There's a lot of philosophical discussion on this thread, but... Does anyone know how this is actually working out in practice?

I'm curious because there were people sitting all along Main Street as we were leaving at precisely 4:55 on Thursday, including at least two groups sitting on blankets (but not any blankets with a single person). It seems unlikely that these people all had to get up and move if 5:00 is the time they start setting up for the parade? I was curious how long they'd been there. I wanted to stay and see how it played out, but I had to get to dinner.

Was anyone there during the last few days?

I received an email today. Disney will be streaming the MSEP
Here's a link https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...om-disneyland-park-march-7-at-855-p-m-pt/?dpb

SCORE!!!
Skip the cold curb and toss your blanket on the TV room floor for a front row seat.

March 7th at 8:55pm
popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

Geemo
What time zone will this be broadcasted? :)

What time zone will this be broadcasted? :)

This is a copy of the last paragraph in the article at the link in my previous post. PT stands for Pacific Time

Tune in for our live stream of Main Street Electrical Parade, March 7 beginning at 8:55 p.m. PT, and find out how you can participate in the live stream yourself here on the Disney Parks Blog and on Twitter at @DisneyParks!

Enjoy

The rumor (and repeat, RUMOR) I've heard is Signature Plus and Premier will have it included.

I'm really curious about this and am anxiously waiting for them to decide on pricing and inclusion. How much will it actually cost an AP holder to add to their pass? How will this along with parking fit into the pricing structure? It could be that it entices more people to upgrade APs to Signature if the perk is included and the price isn't much more than buying a Deluxe and paying for MaxPass.

This past Saturday, we did not stay for the parade, but I did note people starting to stake spots on the curb up just South of the castle (in the circle around the Partners statue) about 5:30. The parade was at 8:30 pm. I don't know if they're focusing more on Main Street to keep it clear or what. We didn't stay for the parade because we didn't want to be caught in the sea of people afterward.

Also, I don't think fireworks went off on Saturday. Anybody that was there know why? I thought about hanging around for them, but we were pretty beat. I didn't hear them from the hotel like I did on Friday night.

This past Saturday, we did not stay for the parade, but I did note people starting to stake spots on the curb up just South of the castle (in the circle around the Partners statue) about 5:30. The parade was at 8:30 pm. I don't know if they're focusing more on Main Street to keep it clear or what. We didn't stay for the parade because we didn't want to be caught in the sea of people afterward.

Also, I don't think fireworks went off on Saturday. Anybody that was there know why? I thought about hanging around for them, but we were pretty beat. I didn't hear them from the hotel like I did on Friday night.

The usual Winds at High Elevations stopped the fireworks Saturday, announced officially about 4 minutes before they should have started, with a warning at 15 and 10 minutes before.

There were definitely people all over Main Street when we walked through around 6-ish. We didn't stop to survey the situation but it was pretty crowded and there were no ropes up yet. We went to Plaza to eat around 8 and then went out to Main Street after the parade went by to wait for fireworks. The ropes were up and we sat down, then they took the ropes. About half an hour before fireworks they told everyone to stand up and move into the street like they usually do so we stood in the street at the curb (we watched them here last time and then just sat down when they were done and the lights came back on). When they announced that they were cancelled, everyone sat back down to wait for the next parade. About 5 minutes later they came through and told us to all get up so we all just stood in the spots we were sitting in. Their reasoning was that since everyone was leaving from the fireworks being cancelled, we were blocking access to the sidewalk. So we all just stood in our spots until they came back and put the ropes up again and then all sat back down. Kind of silly, but it was fine.

I've seen a few High Wind warnings popping up for Anaheim lately. Sounds like not a lot has changed in practice. I can understand focusing on the more congested areas. However, if Disney wants the policy to be successful, I think they need to be consistent along the entire route. I can report back in about 3 weeks when we are down for the start of Spring Break season.

An update with information regarding this was just done by MiceChat. It appears they are not enforcing the "no sitting until ropes up" rule. Rather, they are enforcing the "no blankets" rule. I think this sounds a little more reasonable and would be easier for Cast Members to enforce.

http://micechat.com/154051-disneyland-photo-rumor-update-major-fantasmic-halloween-changes/

(the parade blanket story is the second down, near the very top)

--
We're going to be there next week, so it will be interesting to see if it is the same later on.

No large blankets for spot saving, to be clear. I did see a guy put down a small blanket, but then he and family immediately sat down on it.

You can expect many people walking in circles, loitering in the stores, and "picture takers" until the lines are up. It could crowd up the walkway even more than it already was.

After Soundsational the CMs started moving the ropes. We asked if we would be asked to move if we found a spot now, they said no. We used FPs and then say down at 6pm, Main St was almost full and we made it down to the Magic Shop before we found 2 spots on the curb for the 8:30 parade. There were still spots in Town Square, but all benches were occupied. Many spots were being saved, some with blankets, but for the most part we saw at east 1 person on the blankets. We also saw some people move the trash cans and it took the CMs a good 10-15 minutes to get them to leave and put the trash cans back.

After Soundsational the CMs started moving the ropes. We asked if we would be asked to move if we found a spot now, they said no. We used FPs and then say down at 6pm, Main St was almost full and we made it down to the Magic Shop before we found 2 spots on the curb for the 8:30 parade. There were still spots in Town Square, but all benches were occupied. Many spots were being saved, some with blankets, but for the most part we saw at east 1 person on the blankets. We also saw some people move the trash cans and it took the CMs a good 10-15 minutes to get them to leave and put the trash cans back.

Thank you for the update!

Just returned on Thursday and we saw many blankets on the ground saving seats. I was puzzled because I read that was no longer allowed, but indeed, there it was.

I wish they would do something. I don't mind people waiting. A couple years ago me and my DH had a nice time getting to know another couple while sitting on a bench waiting for a parade. (They were kind enough to share with us, and it was probably only an hour early, not several hours.) I do mind the over the top seat saving. If someone needs to run get food or go to the bathroom, no big deal, but when one person saves for a large group that shows up at the last minute, or a large group squeezes in when there clearly isn't room, it just seems rude and arrogant.

Just spent the last 2 weeks at Disneyland and there are still seats being saved hours in advance of parades. We tried finding seats at 7pm for the 8:30 MSEP and we found some at the very back row in an area by the Matterhorn. About 10-15 minutes later an announcement was made that all viewing areas were full! We had better luck, on the advice of a CM, to come find seats about 10 minutes after the fireworks are over and walk towards IASW, we found a lot of the crowds gone for parade viewing and easily got front row (once again by the Matterhorn!) but it was noticeably less crowded and chaotic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter