No More Entrees at Quick Service?

GinaLuvsWDW

Earning My Ears
So I have reservations at AKL and I was looking at the menu for The Mara. They no longer have the rotisserie chicken and a few other favorites, it seems they’ve been replaced by “bowls” aka meat chunks with a lot of rice etc.
I then looked at Pop Century and there are NO entrees on the their menu, just sandwiches, burgers and salads ( better then salad selections at Mara)
Are there no longer entrees at the resorts??

They are definitely more limited than in the past. I’ve noticed most places are just burgers, pasta, bowls or grab and go these days.

So I have reservations at AKL and I was looking at the menu for The Mara. They no longer have the rotisserie chicken and a few other favorites, it seems they’ve been replaced by “bowls” aka meat chunks with a lot of rice etc.
I then looked at Pop Century and there are NO entrees on the their menu, just sandwiches, burgers and salads ( better then salad selections at Mara)
Technically an entree is the main course of a meal, so even a cheeseburger and fries dish in a table service restaurant would be an entree, for example. If you ordered jalapeno poppers or something, that may be an appetizer.

But aside from getting hung up on the terminology, we have also noticed -- at some Disney quick service dining locations -- a move away towards dishes that are faster and easier to prepare, package and serve (like bowls) which fits the concept of quick service dining. We used to love the custom built salads that they had at Gasparilla Island Grill, but those are gone now as well and substituted with more or less pre-packaged items. So I do see this as an efficiency move, which makes sense for quick service as much as I miss certain items.

However, if you look at the menu for Trail's End for example, which only recently reopened as a quick service spot at Fort Wilderness, you can get ribs and fried chicken (and more) on that menu.

All in all, that is why many resorts have both quick service and table service options with differentiated menus, so you have options for quick service items or table service meals. But yes, it is sad when favorite items are lost in a menu overhaul.

Yeah, I complained about all the bowls which replaced the rotisserie chicken last time I was at the Mara… the response was “they’re fabulous… try one!” Um, no thanks. Got a cold sandwich from the refrigerator case.

Thank goodness they still have the butternut squash soup!

I don’t know about The Mara, but Pop and the other value resorts and some moderates offer additional rotating entrees like meatloaf, salmon or chicken stir fry. So the offerings are not specifically listed on the menu, but there are a number of daily specials.
They used to but I’m not seeing it on the menus. And at the value resorts there. Are no table service restaurants so to have a rotating options is a good thing.

Yeah, I complained about all the bowls which replaced the rotisserie chicken last time I was at the Mara… the response was “they’re fabulous… try one!” Um, no thanks. Got a cold sandwich from the refrigerator case.

That rotisserie chicken was great, and before covid they had a salad that would last me 2 meals. And they also had a stew and a falafel platter. It’s looks like that’s all gone as well? 😫 I’m going there my 30th wedding anniversary and it seems like it’s going to be a big disappointment.

Value resorts still have entrees. Like another poster said they are rotating and the specific options for any given day are not listed on the menu, however the menu in the app specifically mentions "Additional Rotating Selection of Specialty Offerings Available for Dine-In". There are pictures of the entree menu board in some of the resort specific threads and it seems there is at least beef dish, fish dish and chicken dish offered on any given day.

The Mara does still have the falafel platter. It is under plant based offerings.

We will eat there before a Halloween party in October and I will try one of the bowls and post a review.

Agreed - the whole reason for me to go to WDW!!

Over the years, the QS places have been changing and adjusting their offerings. It's nothing new. There are a couple things at Mara that we miss, but a few new things that we really like.

They used to but I’m not seeing it on the menus. And at the value resorts there. Are no table service restaurants so to have a rotating options is a good thing.
They're not on the menus or for online ordering because they change daily. But they do have more entrees available for in-person ordering. This seems to be common now for resort QS.

The Mara does still have the falafel platter. It is under plant based offerings.

We will eat there before a Halloween party in October and I will try one of the bowls and post a review.

Everyone’s palate is different, of course. I’ll be there again in September but nothing about those bowls appeals to me at all. Luckily they still have the butternut squash soup! Lol

I was at BCV in June and despite their modest QS offerings, they had the roast chicken dinner!
I was a happy camper :love:

This has come up before recently and I just experienced it at All Star Sports.

If you look at online menus you only see the items that are always on the menu. What we found on arrival is that there is a menu with about 6 main entrees, then a list of sides so we could customize our meal. My feeling is that these entrees could change daily. I wish I had taken a photo of the digital menu. I remember a steak, a chicken, a salmon .... nice variety of sides.

This has also been an issue with Mobile Ordering - there are less options on the APP than there are in the restaurant.

I had the South African Vegetable Bowl and it was delicious. The sauce was so flavourful and I was happy to be eating something healthy with lots of veggies!

That rotisserie chicken was great, and before covid they had a salad that would last me 2 meals. And they also had a stew and a falafel platter. It’s looks like that’s all gone as well? 😫 I’m going there my 30th wedding anniversary and it seems like it’s going to be a big disappointment.
The falafel platter is still at the Mara, it's just not listed on the mobile order menu. I found this out while standing in line to pay for my meal a couple of weeks ago. There was a menu lying on the counter and there was the falafel platter. You have to order it at the cashier.

Looking at the online menu at POFQ this morning the word that came to mind was "Pathetic" and it would honestly sway me against staying there. Disney is failing by not giving some ideas of what's on the main entree menu, list 6-12 options as examples and state they rotate and not all items maybe available. While I didn't think their Jambalaya was good, they still need to have some flavors from the theming of the resorts. Burgers and plants are not appealing.

I think Disney is in a catch 22 even if they were to put a disclaimer on the online/app menus. People get upset and complain if what they saw on the menu isn't there when they arrive (the rotating menu that Pop/AoA used to have was a bit confusing and you'd forget that something was only available 2 days a week), but people complain that the menu looks too small/lacking now. I can also imagine that trying to keep the menus updated when they might change every few days just got to be too cumbersome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter