• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more cable. Hulu or Amazon Prime?

Another vote for Hulu and Netflix. We have Amazon Prime but never use the streaming - it's just for better shipping for us.
We also have DirecTv and I would LOVE to get rid of it but haven't been able to talk the family into it. We have AppleTVs on all TVs so it works around the house. The initial investment could be big but I really recommend the AppleTV if you have other Apple devices. They work together seamlessly.

Reactions: GAN
PS We pay about $50 for Time Warner Cable internet and it's one of the higher packages (faster upload and downloads).

So it seems like eBay has cracked down on Hulu subscriptions being sold. I know you can get free Hulu subscriptions by using Bing. Honestly I use Kodi so I no longer need to worry about any of this.

Can you give the abridged version of Kodi? I know it's a media player but not sure how to use it, or how it can tie to other sources.

Can you give the abridged version of Kodi? I know it's a media player but not sure how to use it, or how it can tie to other sources.
https://kodi.tv/about/

Think of it as a media center where you can stream from multiple sources. There are some great channels on there for childrens programming and news feeds. We still have netflix, hulu and prime since we get all 3 for free.

Thank you...I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who is sick of paying high prices for tv. What is Sling tv? I've never heard of it but if it's worth it I will definitely look into it.

https://kodi.tv/about/

Think of it as a media center where you can stream from multiple sources. There are some great channels on there for childrens programming and news feeds. We still have netflix, hulu and prime since we get all 3 for free.

Do you have kodi on a android tablet? I need step by step directions on how add add-ons to the tablet. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

We cut the cord last year and have Netflix and Hulu. Best. Decision. Ever.

This, although it has been a couple of years for us. My husband also has the NHL subscription, and we have HBO NOW. Occasionally we will get a season pass for something from iTunes that isn't available on Hulu. Even with these, it saves us so much money, especially considering we already had Netflix and Hulu when we had cable too, so it's not like those were a new expense.

Apple TV is great for streaming from an iPad but their offerings are slim.

What do you mean by this? I found Apple TV's offerings ample, personally. I have access to buying any shows from iTunes, plus apps for Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, NHL and some of the other sports, and even some of the networks.

What do you mean by this? I found Apple TV's offerings ample, personally. I have access to buying any shows from iTunes, plus apps for Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, NHL and some of the other sports, and even some of the networks.

You cannot add apps like you can on the Roku box which is the service I prefer. The apple tv is great for streaming from my devices but it's not my go to for netflix or hulu, plus it doesn't have sling tv.

You cannot add apps like you can on the Roku box which is the service I prefer. The apple tv is great for streaming from my devices but it's not my go to for netflix or hulu, plus it doesn't have sling tv.

You can add apps; they have a whole apps store with apps and games you can download. You are right about Sling, though, but I thought I heard you could airplay that.

You can add apps; they have a whole apps store with apps and games you can download. You are right about Sling, though, but I thought I heard you could airplay that.

We have an older apple tv (I think it's like 2 year old), it does not have the ability to add apps, except for a few. For me the cost of upgrading isn't worth it especially since ours is not that old. I just think for what it is roku and chrome cast are products better suited for us, ok mostly me because I'm not super techie. Roku certainly is the most user friendly of the devices and our roku is a roku 2 so it's not even the most current.

We have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. Like others though we don't usually use Amazon for watching much. I use it for the shipping and music. When we cut the cord the only thing we were going to lose was Walking Dead so we bought a season pass. The only downfall is you have to wait until Monday to watch it. For us it isn't a big deal as we sometimes wouldn't have time to watch it on Sundays. Heck I am hoping tonight to finally get to watch this past weeks episode.

We have not missed the cord at all. And I love the money we are saving.

We have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. Like others though we don't usually use Amazon for watching much. I use it for the shipping and music. When we cut the cord the only thing we were going to lose was Walking Dead so we bought a season pass. The only downfall is you have to wait until Monday to watch it. For us it isn't a big deal as we sometimes wouldn't have time to watch it on Sundays. Heck I am hoping tonight to finally get to watch this past weeks episode.

We have not missed the cord at all. And I love the money we are saving.
Great show on Prime is Transparent. We always have something to watch and the savings every month are great (over $100 saved every month).

I'm tired of being over charged and paying outrageous prices for cable. It's time to get rid of cable, plus summer is coming and my family doesn't watch much tv anyways. We have Netflix already but i'm also looking into Hulu plus and Amazon Prime. Does anyone have either of these services? And what was or is your experience. The only tv show my family likes to watch is The Walking Dead.

Don't forget you can also use Sling. It's $19.99 a month for about 23 cable channels. It's live cable tv, with on demand too. You can add more channels to it too. We have Sling, Netflix & Hulu & couldn't be happier. We were paying around $110 a month for BASIC CABLE...it was getting ridiculous. Comcast really sticks it to you when you don't need their phone service or internet. Here's the link to Sling https://www.sling.com/package

Don't worry, Walking Dead is on Sling...

ETA: You can get HBO & Showtime too

Last edited:
We have a Roku in the living room with Netflix and Hulu Plus (and Amazon Prime but really only for free 2 day shipping). We also have a large antenna outside so we get a bunch of local channels. In the kids playroom they have a dvd that can access netflix also with an antenna - same thing in the master bed room. In the kids room they have a Wii that gets Netflix also with antenna.

We save over $100 a month sometimes close to $200. We used to have Directv and payed for sports packages etc. I put it to my husband this way - $100 a month = about $1000/yr. Over 10 years we are saving $10,000 and over 20 yrs we are saving $20,000 - for. tv. Would you rather watch tv or use that $$ to help pay for your kids college expenses or our retirement. He got used to not watching every football game real fast.

Something else that is now available nationwide is PlayStation Vue. They have three different packages starting at $29.99 a month, some areas have your local channels included and is slightly more (most are just the On Demand version right now with no CBS).

You can stream on multi-devices at once. You need a PS3, PS4, Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick, Chromecast or iPad/iPhone. I am using the free week on the $29.99 package right now and if my locals were included I would drop DirecTV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter