No more bags

You have always been free to go bagless.
People always have been for decades. The only reason why plastic bags are automatically given is because of habit, and common sense should have prevailed a long time ago by asking the customer if they need a bag or not, which would have greatly reduced the number of bags given out and eliminate the need for bag reduction or elimination measures at company or governmental level.

Is Starbucks going to follow suit? I always purchase a few "You Are Here" mugs and they put them in a nice sturdy paper bag with handles.
I don't think so...well at least if they did I think it would be at Starbucks' directive not Disney's.

ETA: I could be totally wrong though. Just thinking out loud here.

Is Starbucks going to follow suit? I always purchase a few "You Are Here" mugs and they put them in a nice sturdy paper bag with handles.
I doubt it. I’m interested to see how they handle breakables. Stuff like ornaments and snow globes that are typically boxed up.

Even if you have it shipped back to the resort you still have to have that completed 1-2 days before you check out because it won't have enough time to get there.

I suppose if I find myself in that situation, I'll purchase a(nother) bag. :)

We just don't really shop that much (and we stay 10 days) that we would end up spending $10 on reusable bags.

I suppose if I find myself in that situation, I'll purchase a(nother) bag. :)

We just don't really shop that much (and we stay 10 days) that we would end up spending $10 on reusable bags.
I know what you'd do. I'm just giving the information. Send to resort is an option up until a point--your comment was "Have it sent to your room (assuming on-site)."

I doubt it. I’m interested to see how they handle breakables. Stuff like ornaments and snow globes that are typically boxed up.
I would imagine they'd still have to box them up. How else would they handle it? Then put that in a $1 or $2 bag, or plastic if you're sending it to the resort.

Merch CMs online have confirmed that the upcoming Parks reusable bags will still be optional, so contrary to what the WDWNT article said, plastic bags will still be available as normal.

Merch CMs online have confirmed that the upcoming Parks reusable bags will still be optional, so contrary to what the WDWNT article said, plastic bags will still be available as normal.
Kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it?

My reasoning is that they'll start to only offer plastic if a guest requests it, and the reusables will be promoted as they already are in WoD, so people will have options that won't leave people teetering on two extremes: purchase the reusable or struggle with the purchases bagless, unless they get it sent to their resort room.

My reasoning is that they'll start to only offer plastic if a guest requests it, and the reusables will be promoted as they already are in WoD, so people will have options that won't leave people teetering on two extremes: purchase the reusable or struggle with the purchases bagless, unless they get it sent to their resort room.
Makes sense. Two weeks ago in WoD I didn’t have to request plastic though so I’m interested to see if that changes.

Makes sense. Two weeks ago in WoD I didn’t have to request plastic though so I’m interested to see if that changes.
The July announcement did, however, give an open-ended goal in regards to reducing the number of plastic bags given out, so there's no definite goal as it will all depend on how the plan goes come year-end.

People always have been for decades. The only reason why plastic bags are automatically given is because of habit, and common sense should have prevailed a long time ago by asking the customer if they need a bag or not, which would have greatly reduced the number of bags given out and eliminate the need for bag reduction or elimination measures at company or governmental level.

That's always been the biggest thing to me as far as the recent tredn to reduce plastic use ... just ASK! Same thing with plastic straws. I think if it took asking if someone really wants one at a restaurant vs just plopping down a handful whether people really want one or not would eliminate a ton of usage with much less angst

honestly, I think it is still much better. Ask the person if they already have a reusable bag they'd like to use, etc. and if not ask if they'd like to buy one or that they do have plastic avaible

I bet that would cut down a lot as people would now have to consciously think "yes, I will not use a reusable bag I will take a plastic bag I know is not the best for the environment" vs "you know what, I have room in my backpack and don't really need a bat or I could just carry it"

Will it reduce bags as much as if they totally got rid of them? No, but I bet it reduces them a lot without the angst of taking it away/forcing people to pay for a reusable one

That's always been the biggest thing to me as far as the recent tredn to reduce plastic use ... just ASK! Same thing with plastic straws. I think if it took asking if someone really wants one at a restaurant vs just plopping down a handful whether people really want one or not would eliminate a ton of usage with much less angst

honestly, I think it is still much better. Ask the person if they already have a reusable bag they'd like to use, etc. and if not ask if they'd like to buy one or that they do have plastic avaible

I bet that would cut down a lot as people would now have to consciously think "yes, I will not use a reusable bag I will take a plastic bag I know is not the best for the environment" vs "you know what, I have room in my backpack and don't really need a bat or I could just carry it"

Will it reduce bags as much as if they totally got rid of them? No, but I bet it reduces them a lot without the angst of taking it away/forcing people to pay for a reusable one
That's why I prefer fairer solutions to those that result in an extreme. It's proof that you can still do something positive yet not sacrifice convenience, plus plastic bags can be reused too, and that argument has been proven many times before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter