No Lids

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting point. Plenty of people buy for several people and take it back to the room. I wonder if their intention is to discontinue those as well.

They don't. But my money is on Disney keeping them pretty uniform since they order in such massive quantities and get the benefit of scale on cost.
the park I work at makes it hard when we have hot chocolate want a lid but the refill cup as none of lids fit the small cup and we are family park

the park I work at makes it hard when we have hot chocolate want a lid but the refill cup as none of lids fit the small cup and we are family park

That's something I didn't think of, getting hot chocolate or coffee. No lids for those too? Bad enough to spill cold soda on people, but what about hot liquids???? Plus the lid keeps the liquid hot longer. I buy hot chocolate to sip, not to just gulp it down in two mins.

That's something I didn't think of, getting hot chocolate or coffee. No lids for those too? Bad enough to spill cold soda on people, but what about hot liquids???? Plus the lid keeps the liquid hot longer. I buy hot chocolate to sip, not to just gulp it down in two mins.

The article states that the lids won’t be available for “adult cold drinks.”

at my park most times hot chocolate cups no lids but coffee cups have lids. should hear parents as they want chocolate for kids. and I have to tell them yes I can give you a coffee lid for chocolate but it will not stay on. had a couple have to try then complain when it does not work

at my park most times hot chocolate cups no lids but coffee cups have lids. should hear parents as they want chocolate for kids. and I have to tell them yes I can give you a coffee lid for chocolate but it will not stay on. had a couple have to try then complain when it does not work

Major lawsuit coming if someone spills hot chocolate on themselves with a lid that wasn't proper.

Major lawsuit coming if someone spills hot chocolate on themselves with a lid that wasn't proper.
the cups did not have a proper lid which I told parent but parent was sure the other lid would fit just to prove me wrong and the complained when it did not work as they were sure it would. so they knew it did not fit when they bought

I usually bring a metal bottle with me for water, but if I start pouring soda in there, too, I'm gonna have to find someplace to wash the bottle before putting water back into it. And if you wanted to avoid spilling when you pick up your tray , you'd have to do all your pouring and lidding right at the counter and hold up the line. I guess I'll be in the No Soda Club, too.

It seems like they're not being completely sincere about continuing to provide lids for children, since several people here have reported being told that the restaurant didn't even have lids on hand anymore.

Seems to me they could have compromised, and provided sippy lids like the ones on takeout coffee. No straw needed for most people, and they could even make you have to ask for them. Odds are that a lot of people wouldn't bother to ask, so they wouldn't be using as many as they did when a lid was the default.It wouldn't save as much plastic as eliminating both lids and straws, but it would be a step in the right direction.

And yeah, I still have a whole bag full of plastic bags from my last trip. Sure, they're more reusable than drink lids, but it still ends up in the landfill.

I bring my own paper straws and bamboo sporks around at home, I use reusable shopping bags, drive an economy car, and practice a plant-based diet. I consider the straw thing to be symbolic, in that every time I turn down a straw, my mind automatically goes to what other ways I can cut my single-use plastic consumption and/or be a better steward for our beautiful planet. :flower1:

THAT SAID, Disney better think of a solution to this problem they are creating pretty quick. I like the idea someone posted above of a reusable mug that can be used everywhere on property, has a reusable straw and lid and a clip to attach to a park bag. With options to request lids and straws on purchased drinks. There are millions of people at the parks, including little kids all over the place who do not need to be spilling their drinks everywhere! I see trouble!

the cups did not have a proper lid which I told parent but parent was sure the other lid would fit just to prove me wrong and the complained when it did not work as they were sure it would. so they knew it did not fit when they bought

Yeah and the people that bought coffee from McDonalds that spilled it on themselves and won a Multi-Million dollar lawsuit because the cup didn't say hot on it knew that coffee would be hot but they still won the case.

I guess I'm the only germaphobe out there, but my mind immediately goes to this scenario...Sally buys a soda at Backlot Express (or one of the other restaurants that has self serving dispensers), drinks it and then takes it to get a refill. After having drank it from the side of her cup. She puts it on the dispenser to refill. Now, Bobby comes up to do the same, putting his cup where his mouth had been on the same dispenser. And so on. Grosses me out.

I guess I'm the only germaphobe out there, but my mind immediately goes to this scenario...Sally buys a soda at Backlot Express (or one of the other restaurants that has self serving dispensers), drinks it and then takes it to get a refill. After having drank it from the side of her cup. She puts it on the dispenser to refill. Now, Bobby comes up to do the same, putting his cup where his mouth had been on the same dispenser. And so on. Grosses me out.

Oh ew, you had to go there. I’m a germaphobe too and I hadn’t thought of that. Gross!

I guess grab a napkin and use it to press the dispenser instead of the side of the cup?

Oh ew, you had to go there. I’m a germaphobe too and I hadn’t thought of that. Gross!

I guess grab a napkin and use it to press the dispenser instead of the side of the cup?

Guess we will have to get creative. But I know I will be bringing disposable straws from home to use! Sorry mother earth (not sorry). :P

And lose what fizz the soda still has. Yum.

One more thing to carry around. Just squish it into your pocket like you do with the reusable bag, right?

It sounds good, until you have to work how it actually will work.
Okay so don't do anything? You have no other options that I can think of. That's the solution.

I'm not saying it is a good option... But it's the answer to the no lid problem.

Yeah and the people that bought coffee from McDonalds that spilled it on themselves and won a Multi-Million dollar lawsuit because the cup didn't say hot on it knew that coffee would be hot but they still won the case.

Not to be “that girl”, but you should definitely read up on that case before using it as an example. Everyone assumes it was an overly litigious person out to make money, but in reality the woman who everyone talks about was horrendously injured by coffee that was far, far hotter than is legal to sell.

Sorry about the lecture, I used to say the exact same thing, but when I learned what actually happened, I felt so awful!

Okay so don't do anything? You have no other options that I can think of. That's the solution.

I'm not saying it is a good option... But it's the answer to the no lid problem.
It would be nice if they tried keeping lids and straws behind the counter and gave them out on request. But I've seen too many stories of people being told no to think that's what they're actually doing.

Something to keep in mind as well is that people who are against this aren't necessarily against it in daily life. This is a vacation to a theme park. People might need more conveniences on vacation than they use at home on a daily basis.

Not to be “that girl”, but you should definitely read up on that case before using it as an example. Everyone assumes it was an overly litigious person out to make money, but in reality the woman who everyone talks about was horrendously injured by coffee that was far, far hotter than is legal to sell.

Sorry about the lecture, I used to say the exact same thing, but when I learned what actually happened, I felt so awful!

Good to know and I thank you for that information

Not any more gross than a kid putting a cup that had a lid but had just picked his nose and then pushed the button to fill the cup. Germs don't stay in one spot. That whole machine is covered in germs. Specially since people will sneeze and cough all over it all day everyday.

Not any more gross than a kid putting a cup that had a lid but had just picked his nose and then pushed the button to fill the cup. Germs don't stay in one spot. That whole machine is covered in germs. Specially since people will sneeze and cough all over it all day everyday.

I'm absolutely amazed that people seem to think that Disney's some kind of super clean,sterile, germ-free environment. Think of the sheer number of people that touch handrails, doorknobs, decorations, merchandise, show seats, ride cars, walls, restraints, benches, table tops, pushing/pulling chairs in... I've watched adults sneeze into their hands and then touch surfaces, including buffet spoons and drink dispensers. Not to mention those who change their kid's diapers without thoroughly washing their hands and then go on rides or go eat without stopping to wash their hands, or people who don't wash their hands after they've used the bathroom, or the ones who just quickly rub their hands together beneath the faucet. I had a lady tell me once that it's the friction that really kills germs, not soap. She rubbed her hands together and left. (Ick!)

That doesn't even cover what's airborne around us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter