• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No EP--tell me the positive stories

So as a follow up: we just came back from a trip, and had a few express passes gifted to us by someone leaving who got stuck on some rides. We used them on Hogwarts Express and the wait time for that was longer than the posted wait time? Also we noticed that we got onto ET before an Express group that got into their line at the same time... Awkward.

I'm certainly not badmouthing EPs :-) I just chose that wording because the original poster specifically asked for positive experiences without express passes and many people immediately chimed in with how great EPs are and suggested the poster consider them.
I noticed that, too. Both on here and on some of the UO Facebook groups, it can seem like the only way to have a good trip is to get EP. Don’t get me wrong; I think EP is fantastic and it’s available at a much lower price point than any advantages you can (or could) buy at Disney.

But I hate to think there are people blowing their budgets to buy it, or, worse, not going at all because the overwhelming message can seem like it’s not worth going if you don’t have EP.

I took my kids on Sunday the 25th for a 1-day, 2-park trip in the middle of a Disney trip. None of us had been before. I too read the EP posts with a lot of anxiety, but wasn't willing to pay the cost. I am happy to report that we had a great time and the waits were almost all much shorter than our Disney days. Hagrids was on the new experimental virtual queue thing, and we waited maybe 15 min after our time came up. The other HP attractions were maybe 45 min waits. We ended up getting more done in one day than I expected.

Adding to planning, I feel the stress is also me. As I mentioned we are a family of 5. My eldest is 18 now, 19 next year. She hasn't joined many family trips since COVID because she found full time work, and camping wasn't worth it to her. We were robbed of two holidays already. I feel I'm running out of time to get us all together one last trip.
There is no way I'd cancel a trip this important. If budget puts you in CB, then it sounds like a great choice. You are not going during a peak time (kids are in school) and you have a long stay, so you should have plenty of time to do everything you want.

I've loved the look of CB since I first started researching Universal years ago. Not to mention any premium hotel that fits us (5) is a minimum of $2500 more than CB. For us That's a big chunk.
Are comparing a CB family suite vs a suite (or two separate rooms) at a deluxe resort? If so, I could see where the difference would be huge. I'd like to point out that the the CB room is actually smaller (430 sq ft) than a regular PBH 2Queen room (450 sq ft). You'd need a rollaway for PBH, but my guess it is more comfortable than the sofa-bed at CB (kids complained about it when we were there). It will still be more expensive, but hopefully the difference is more palatable.

The good news is that you started planning so early that you should be able to get an APH rate for any onsite resort, which should save a considerable amount.

We were at Universal, stayed at Cabana Bay, at the end of June. Had a 5 day pass - no express pass. We basically did a park every morning til about 1 and got on every ride we wanted except Minions (this line was always crazy long). We didn't even go back to the parks at night, just wandered around and had dinner. On many days we got on all the rides we wanted by 10 a.m. (this includes Hagrids, velosicoaster, etc.), but we did get there early most mornings. So no, I do not think you need express pass to have fun, but also not sure how it will be if you don't arrive to the park early. We loved Universal though and had a great time. Hope you do too!

I keep leaning towards Cabana Bay for my family. I like the space and budget...of course no EP included.
I wanted to chime in specifically about Cabana Bay for a moment. My family stays in the family suites at CB because we are also five. Not only is the room a good size and comfortable (including the pull out) but the layout is very well thought out. The breakup of the bathroom pieces (the toilet is separate in its own space) and the additional vanity makes it much easier for us to all get ready.
Also, the kitchenette area has good storage space - we always get a fairly hefty set of groceries for our trips. We normally eat breakfast in the room (cereal, oatmeal, and the like) and often have snacks there. One tip - bring/get items for s'mores! They have fire pits all around the pool area. It is fun. But s'mores stuff is very expensive if you buy them in the food court.
On a couple trips, we brought our own tubes for the lazy river also. They sell them by the pool, but much cheaper if you can buy/bring your own cheap ones. We usually give them away at the end of a trip.

Really, that resort is so much fun for us - and that coupled with the ample space and low cost, we barely even consider other options at this point.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter