No conversation at the bus stop, why?

Conversationist

Creative intellectual type
I have waited for the same bus stop with the same people for months without any conversation or greeting. It is a mixed group culturally, ethnically and financially. The only thing that brings us together is the advantage of mass transit and a lack of parking downtown.

Here is my question--- Why won't anyone talk to each other? I see the same people standing at the same place DAY AFTER DAY. I have tried striking up a conversation a number of times, but get a blank look. The people are strangers but see each other every day twice a day.

I know people can be tired but how about an hello or pleasant small talk with people they see and stand inches from day after day? Your thoughts- please?

I know when we were in D.C. it seemed like NO ONE on the Metro would talk. Now being from the South we will start a conversation with anyone. I found it really weird.......Oh and I KNOW people from the D.C. area talk..........SNOOPS!!!!!!!! LOL!

So take some cookies some morning and see if anyone loosens up. :)

Beauty said:
I know when we were in D.C. it seemed like NO ONE on the Metro would talk. Now being from the South we will start a conversation with anyone. I found it really weird.......Oh and I KNOW people from the D.C. area talk..........SNOOPS!!!!!!!! LOL!

:rotfl: Beauty!

We are "country folk" and I can strike up a conversation anywhere with anyone! I have noticed that people in the city typically look at you like you are nuts or something!

Our daughter attends college in a major Penna. city - she gets embarrassed when I start talking to girls in the dorm elevator or with the street vendors. She always hisses at me, "They don't do that here!!" :blush:

I say keep talking to them, maybe you will eventually wear them down and they'll become friendly!

Pam said:
We are "country folk" and I can strike up a conversation anywhere with anyone! I have noticed that people in the city typically look at you like you are nuts or something!
I know what you mean! Tennessee here, and I am almost possitive that my mother knows everyone. We talk to anyone and everyone.

I have a "new" next-door neighbor (moved in about 8 months ago). He and his DW moved here from a place a bit closer to Detroit. Apparently his DW, shortly after they moved "up" here, thought it strange (but nice) that employees at our local Kroger would say "Hi" to her, especially ones she hadn't yet met! Hopefully, she and her DH will loosen up a bit.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter