Nikon D7100 Review

Gianna'sPapa

DIS Veteran
Dpreview. com has just posted their in-depth review of the Nikon D7100. It is impressive and (for me) answers a lot of questions (positive) about the 24mp sensor. The only real surprise is the small buffer which could hinder those that doing a lot of continuous/burst shooting.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/25/nikon-d7100-review-posted

I'll be in trouble if my manufacturer releases something similar as is rumored!:rotfl2:

Why would they want to use a small buffer. :confused3
It's things like this that I don't understand unless they want you to buy a more expensive model. :scratchin
You would think this would be a deal breaker for those wanting to buy the D7100.

I can only assume its because of the higher mp sensor and they are marketing this to the consumer market not to the professional sports shooters. For what I shoot you are right, but for those who don't shoot a lot burst, it looks to be great camera.

Even the Sony SLTs, where burst shooting is a big selling point, suffer from buffer limitations. I suppose they figure most users aren't going to use the feature that intensely, and it may not be so cheap to increase buffer size/processor speed.

I would think that if a vote was taken you might find that more amateur photographers are using burst mode now days then in the past.
I know I do, I use burst mode a lot when i'm taking pictures. It gives me a selection to look at ensuring that I get the image i'm looking for.

I'm still thinking that the 16mp Sony sensor is still the sweet spot for now. The 24mp sensors still show more noise at 3200 than the 16mp. The Pentax K-5IIs is still right up there with the D7100 in terms of resolution even though it only has 16 vs 24mp. I had the Nex 7 with the 24mp and it definitely showed more noise above 1600 iso.

I chose to upgrade for the D7000 to the D7100. It was a wise move I love this camera. I would recommend this camera to anyone. Best past is the increased number of focus field and auto focus in the video.

These reviews look good! I had ordered this, but ended up returning mine after DxOMark gave the camera a pretty mediocre score.

These reviews look good! I had ordered this, but ended up returning mine after DxOMark gave the camera a pretty mediocre score.

It will be interesting to see what Canon releases to replace the 7d. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

While Nikon has made much of the D7100's omission of an image-softening OLPF, we've found that in practical terms the filter's removal is essentially a neutral move. Under the overwhelming majority of real world usage you get no visible benefit in terms of image detail, but neither are you at notably increased risk for generating color moiré in still images.

Interesting. If I still owned a D7000 I don't think I would upgrade to this model.

I got the D7100 on launch day back in March, and so far really pleased with it. I had the D300 since 2009 so this was to replace that, and then use the D300 with another lens, as swapping was becoming a pain when shooting certain things.

I've not found the small buffer to be much of a problem from the football and boxing I've been taking pics at. I've not been out too much with it, but here are a few pics taken with it.

DSC_2093-L.jpg

DSC_2521-L.jpg

DSC_0051-L.jpg

DSC_0193-L.jpg

Thought I'd chime in with my .02. I've had the D7100 for only 5 days so my .02 is just about all my opinion is worth at the moment. So far I love it! I've been taking pictures seriously for 30 years (I'm that old;) and have a beautiful collection of both digital and film Nikon bodies.
The D7100 has just about everything I could want in a camera at a reasonable price. It's light enough to carry around WDW all day and night and loaded with features.
With the help of everyone here on the DIS I think I've picked up enough memory (I went with the 32GB 95 MB/s), a WU-1a and ML-L3 remote.

I'll write up a real review when I get back from my WDW trip. Leaving in 9 days. Squee!

Interesting. If I still owned a D7000 I don't think I would upgrade to this model.

I agree. I didn't think that there was enough new improvements to warrant the upgrade from my current D7000.

But it sounds to be a good update from a D40 :lmao: I was planning on picking up a 7000 but now i will go with the 7100 when the funds work out.

I know this thread is from a over month ago, but if anyone has any updates or anything more to add, I'm interested in hearing it... thinking about making a purchase!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter