Nikon D700
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
Nikon 24-120mm f/4
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Backup:
Nikon D7000
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye

I'll do reviews of all this gear once we get back from our upcoming trip. Quick note: the 24-120mm f/4 is a far better lens for my purposes. Cheaper, still great IQ, VR, and more range. So glad I got it.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR is amazing for full frame. I've used it in the past on my old D90, but I wasn't prepared for how much I like it.

All of that said, nothing compares to the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. It's the Chuck Norris of lenses.

Congrats on the new setup Tom! I hope to go full frame someday as well. Maybe D600? Though rumors that it won't have the autofocus screw would be a deal killer. I have a couple older full frame glass. Oh well...

I also wanted to thank you for the Tokina 11-16mm. It's my first ultra wide! I haven't taken a spin around the block with it yet but I'm sure there will be many adventures and challenges to be had with it.

Congrats on the new setup Tom! I hope to go full frame someday as well. Maybe D600? Though rumors that it won't have the autofocus screw would be a deal killer. I have a couple older full frame glass. Oh well...

I also wanted to thank you for the Tokina 11-16mm. It's my first ultra wide! I haven't taken a spin around the block with it yet but I'm sure there will be many adventures and challenges to be had with it.

The D600 is intriguing, but it sounds like too many compromises for me. I do think it will sell well, but probably for the wrong reasons. There's a bit of an arbitrary allure to full frame, and it will capitalize on that market of people who want full frame but can't afford a D700, D800, or above. The thing is, though, how will they be able to afford full frame glass?

It just seems like it's too expensive for true entry level users and doesn't offer enough for those seriously in the market for a full frame camera. If the rumored specs are true, I'd personally rather have a D7000 than it. Now, if it turns out that ISO performance is on par with the D3s, I will QUICKLY find myself eating crow. So perhaps it's too early to call at this point.

Glad the lens arrived to you safely. Best of luck using it. I've done plenty of field testing with it at Walt Disney World, so it's fully broken in for you! :wizard:

It is much too early to comment on the high ISO performance of the "D600". Everyone thought that the high ISO performance of the D800 was going to suffer and it turns out that is not the case. With that being said, I have no interest in the "D600". I can't see buying a FX camera with limitations.

The D600 is intriguing, but it sounds like too many compromises for me. I do think it will sell well, but probably for the wrong reasons. There's a bit of an arbitrary allure to full frame, and it will capitalize on that market of people who want full frame but can't afford a D700, D800, or above. The thing is, though, how will they be able to afford full frame glass?

It just seems like it's too expensive for true entry level users and doesn't offer enough for those seriously in the market for a full frame camera. If the rumored specs are true, I'd personally rather have a D7000 than it. Now, if it turns out that ISO performance is on par with the D3s, I will QUICKLY find myself eating crow. So perhaps it's too early to call at this point.

Glad the lens arrived to you safely. Best of luck using it. I've done plenty of field testing with it at Walt Disney World, so it's fully broken in for you! :wizard:

Lower price lenses are coming.

One or more low-priced f/4 lenses will be announced with the D600. For example, Nikon recently filed a patent for a 24-70mm f/3.5-4.5 full frame lens which seems to be designed for a cheaper FX DSLR body

Lower price lenses are coming.

One or more low-priced f/4 lenses will be announced with the D600. For example, Nikon recently filed a patent for a 24-70mm f/3.5-4.5 full frame lens which seems to be designed for a cheaper FX DSLR body

I saw that.

I guess my thing is this... if you're making sacrifices everywhere, what's the point in even having a full frame camera? Just to say you have one?

I saw that.

I guess my thing is this... if you're making sacrifices everywhere, what's the point in even having a full frame camera? Just to say you have one?

Yes I have a D800 not the E. I also have a D7000 and D3200, sometimes I think I need therapy.

I do love my 14-24mm and 70-200mm on my D800, but on the less expensive side my 50mm 1.8G is great on it. The 50mm is so sharp my DW will not let me take close ups of her any more. I was counting eyelashes she was counting lines of a different kind. :confused3

We have picked a hobby that can burn up some money quickly.

Imagine our poor wallet if we had both cameras and Disney as interests.

Oh wait.... :rolleyes1

That is so true it hurts! LOL! :thumbsup2:lmao:

to the Nikon D800 lucky dog users...what is your take? Is it worth the 3K body only price tag? I am wanting one pretty bad!
I have a D90 and an older Olympus E-500 which I like them both, but really have the D800 on the wish list.:worship:

to the Nikon D800 lucky dog users...what is your take? Is it worth the 3K body only price tag? I am wanting one pretty bad!
I have a D90 and an older Olympus E-500 which I like them both, but really have the D800 on the wish list.:worship:

I have read a number of positive comments from folks who own the camera. I think whether or not you purchase it comes down to your want/need a high resolution camera. One the one hand the images are fantastically detailed, but on the hand the size of the files are significant larger. I remember reading that an average file on the D800 was 41mb and can be as large as 70mb (don't quote me on that). In my opinion, if you buy the D800 I imagine you are going to want to invest in additional memory cards and probably some external hard drives to hold your files. This appears to be a good camera for those interested in portrait and landscape photography.

Also, if you are one of those individuals that likes a battery grip with their camera, be prepared to shell out an additional $500 for the Nikon grip. I'm sure there will be some third party models available down the road. To this point I have not seen any third party grips foe the D800.

I plan to buy a D800 as a back up. I would love to take some shots of the castle to frame and put on my wall.

If you don't need the extra mega pixels, but still want a full frame camera, I would consider trying to find a D700. Great camera.

I love it. Yep on the 3K. The first thing I did was make a 20 X 30 print.

The new AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR was released on 6/28 and Amazon delivered it to me by 6/29.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produ...4/AF-S-NIKKOR-24-85mm-f%2F3.5-4.5G-ED-VR.html

It is pretty much what I was looking for, which is a small, light, and relatively inexpensive FX lens with a usable focal range and VR. It seems to perform well on my D800. Sharpness, color, and clarity are good across the entire frame and it maintains surprisingly good IQ when shot wide open. CA levels appear to be extremely low even wide open in high contrast areas. Build quality is on the same level as the Nikon 18-200 DX and it focuses pretty fast. The zoom feel is stiff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter