• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NIGHTMARE table mates. Request table for 2?

TN_mom5

Earning My Ears
Hi All!

My family of 5 recently sailed on the Fantasy and everything was magical EXCEPT going to the MDR at night. We were put with a family that made it no secret they didn't like us. They were also rude to our servers so I think they were just obnoxious, rude people in general. The part that upset me the most is that their behavior was not just reserved for the dining room. If we saw them on deck 11 or anywhere else on the ship they would make comments about us loud enough for us to hear. We considered asking for a table change midweek but we wanted to stay with the servers we had grown to really love and just ignore the rude family. It was awkward to say the very least.

My husband and I are planning an anniversary cruise with our placeholder but I'm honestly scared to have table mates now! Can just 2 people sit at their own table? Our next cruise will probably be on the Wonder.

One last question.. I know this family sails often so I'm considering calling Disney and telling them our experience. This family should NOT have table mates on future cruises. I don't want any other family going through what we did! Would this be a waste of time or can they note this on the family's account??

Thanks in advance for your advice and reading my post. It helped venting about it.

Wow, being a jerk at the dinner table just shows bad manners but making comments loud enough for you to hear elsewhere on the ship shows some mental or emotional issues. I would say definitely contact the cruise line and report the behavior. There is probably a way they could also ask the servers about them.

As far as requesting a table for two, you can definitely do that. They will try to accomodate. However, with one exception in 10 cruises, my DH and I have always enjoyed meeting other couples at our table. When traveling as a couple, we've never been seated with a family...usually 2 other couples or a couple and two unrelated singles. Perhaps you could request seating with only couples/adults?

Sorry about your table mates- great ones can elevate the cruise and not so great ones can really put a damper on things!

DH and I always request private seating for two-so far (knock on wood, don't know how July will shake out!) our request has always been granted.

I suspect if the family sails often DCL won't do anything about them, sadly.

My suggestion is to let Disney place you with table mates. Yes, you can request a table for 2 and it's possible, but I think your experience was pretty abnormal. I would also highly recommend that next time you consider switching tables. It's possible to sometimes switch tables and still keep your servers, but you should never subject yourselves to harsh treatment on a regular basis.

Hi All!

My family of 5 recently sailed on the Fantasy and everything was magical EXCEPT going to the MDR at night. We were put with a family that made it no secret they didn't like us. They were also rude to our servers so I think they were just obnoxious, rude people in general. The part that upset me the most is that their behavior was not just reserved for the dining room. If we saw them on deck 11 or anywhere else on the ship they would make comments about us loud enough for us to hear. We considered asking for a table change midweek but we wanted to stay with the servers we had grown to really love and just ignore the rude family. It was awkward to say the very least.

My husband and I are planning an anniversary cruise with our placeholder but I'm honestly scared to have table mates now! Can just 2 people sit at their own table? Our next cruise will probably be on the Wonder.

One last question.. I know this family sails often so I'm considering calling Disney and telling them our experience. This family should NOT have table mates on future cruises. I don't want any other family going through what we did! Would this be a waste of time or can they note this on the family's account??

Thanks in advance for your advice and reading my post. It helped venting about it.

Wow. I would have asked for a table change immediately. We had to on one cruise as well and, though we missed our original servers, it made our sailing so much less stressful.

Yes, on your next cruise, request a private table for 2 and, yes, let DCL know of your experience. It's not a waste of time. If it helps get you a private table and helps others avoid that type of behavior, it's worth the time, IMHO.

You can certainly have DCL put your request for a private table on your reservation. I don't know if you have early or late seating but it is easier to accommodate private tables in late seating. But you can request regardless of which seating you are on. Once you are onboard, you can go to the location for dining changes and check to see if your request was met. If not, you can talk to them to see what you can do to get a private table. Let them know your last experience was not the best. They've always tried to be accommodating but depending on how full the ship is and which seating you are at, there may be only so much they can do.

Also in the future, I'd discuss your situation with your head server. Let them know the issue you are having with your tablemates and that you are enjoying your servers. They may be able to give you the best of both worlds. (It would not be unheard of for the head server to approach the other party and indicate that they had a better arrangement for them and they would actually be the ones to leave the table not you.) But even if they can't, they are more likely to be able to find you servers you enjoy more than they can change obnoxious tablemates. If something is interfering with you having a great vacation, speak up. They can't work their magic unless they know you need them to!

This is my worst fear of the MDR. Sorry you had a bad experience. Those people sound really nasty. Especially making comments about you loud enough to hear! What is wrong with people!

Hi All!

They sound like ol so great parents and people!! NOT!! but in good news department my husband and I did get a table for 2 on our last cruise when we requested it :)

As a confirmed solo cruiser I had always looked forward to meeting my table mates on my Disney cruises, however that all changed in 2011 when I had nightmare table mates too. Luckily after the first dinner with them in the MDR I asked the head server for my own table and received it. Since that cruise in 2011 I always had concerns about getting nightmare table mates again so I always request my own table and have received it even on several specialty cruises and a maiden voyage cruise.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We didn't ask to be moved immediately because it wasn't real bad at first. It progressively got worse AND like a previous poster said, we were definitely dealing with mental/emotional issues. Our kids went to Vibe with theirs so it was just best to ignore them and not make a big deal about it. On the last morning breakfast we told them to have a safe trip home. They told us they were glad they never had to see us again. With people like that you just never know what they are capable of IMO. It was a learning experience! I'm glad to read that others have gotten their own table with just a party of 2 :) I'm sure eventually (once the shock wears off) I'll be okay with having table mates again and enjoying their company!!

Honestly I don't thinks its your place to have something noted on someone else's account, and I doubt DCL would do that. Just request a table for two next time or take your chances.
Seriously? It's not my place to tell DCL what my family and I had to endure with these rude people?!! I guess I like to think of other people and want to save them from the hassle of dealing with them OR having to move tables.

Seriously? It's not my place to tell DCL what my family and I had to endure with these rude people?!! I guess I like to think of other people and want to save them from the hassle of dealing with them OR having to move tables.
If it makes you feel better you can tell them, but I doubt DCL is going to blacklist them. It's just your word against their's. You did not have to endure it DCL would have accommodated you had you asked to switch tables.

I agree.

Let them know that you want to change tables, or request your own table for your next cruise.

There are two sides to every story. DCL isn't going to put a mark against someone just because they heard your side.

I think I have someone on block because I'm not sure what this is referring too. I hope my above comment didn't upset you. You can still write a letter to DCL to let them know and I'm terribly sorry you went through all that.

I think I have someone on block because I'm not sure what this is referring too. I hope my above comment didn't upset you. You can still write a letter to DCL to let them know and I'm terribly sorry you went through all that.

No, you didn't upset me. It's all good. I think you do have someone on block.

Cruiser21: I'm trying to be sensitive and not stir the pot. There are many other things at play here that I'm not sharing. I also thing "blacklisted" is a strong word and I know I definitely don't have the power to do that! :D I'm just letting DCL know what we dealt with and it's up to them what they want to do in the future.

Do you have any idea what their issue with your family was? Like were politics discussed? Was someone in either family wearing a red ball cap with a certain slogan on it?

LOL No. Just Southern. I think that was enough. I wish they would have gotten a chance to know us because we were totally misjudged. Like I mentioned before, I think we were dealing with some mental issues mainly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter