• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NHL planning games this Feb at Lake Tahoe

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I guess there was the Winter Classic that got cancelled, as well as previous Stadium Series games. Without a crowd I they can just have it anywhere.

This one will be at the Edgewood Resort in Stateline, Nevada. That's where they normally have the American Century Classic golf tournament every summer. It's supposedly going to be set up along the 16th/17th/18th holes, but I can't see how that works out since they have so many trees. They probably want something fairly close to Lake Tahoe so that there are views of the lake showing up on the broadcast. It's going to be interesting how they manage to set up the rink on a less than flat surface. I don't think damaging the grass is an issue as they probably have to deal with fixing the grass after every winter.

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/20...en-knights-flyers-bruins-schedule/4108388001/
ACC_17_Map.pdf

I got to attend the Winter Classic last year, nightmare of a game with getting in/out of the bowl and the area around it. I'm honestly just happy to have hockey back, even if we have no fans in the stadium here.

I'll be curious how they set it up though

I got to attend the Winter Classic last year, nightmare of a game with getting in/out of the bowl and the area around it. I'm honestly just happy to have hockey back, even if we have no fans in the stadium here.

I'll be curious how they set it up though

Of course crowding is not going to be a problem. I understand that they only plan on there being 400 people total including the teams, the team support staff, and the broadcast crew.

Setting it up on a golf course is going to be interesting because obviously it's not going to be perfectly flat. Most outdoor football fields are crowned so that water runs off when it rains rather than making muddy puddles. However, a football field crown is pretty uniform. Golf courses are intentionally uneven, so that's going to be fun trying to level a rink.

I saw some photos of the public skating rink they set up every year. It's a small area near the lodge building, so I don't think it's quite as suitable for an NHL game. They'll want a picturesque location with the lake and all the trees.

I love Lake Tahoe. The 1960 Olympics were at (soon to be renamed) Squaw Valley, and they had hockey and ice skating outdoors for the last time.

The rink will be elevated and leveled. It takes a lot of equipment to make NHL quality ice.

Info is a little old (wasn't following it closely) but they have a logo and an artist rendition. Somehow I think it's leaving out some things. There has to be some high angle camera. I've been to a major golf tournament and seen some of the scaffolding setups they used for cameras going up maybe 80-90 feet.

Didn't pay attention to the schedule, but then flipped the channels and saw it was on. Looks pretty cool with the lake in the background and people on the lake in kayaks. Strike that. It was just a replay but because it was too sunny (where the ice is slushy) they shut it down and will delay until 9 PM local time tonight. I saw where they placed insulation on top of the ice.

The game tomorrow has been rescheduled to 4:30 PM local time. I guess that's because they realize the conditions aren't going to be very good during the daytime.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-outdoo...-flyers-boston-bruins-rescheduled/c-321613604

I don't have NBCSN, but they have a 10 minute free preview, so I'm seeing what it looks like under the lights. Can't really notice Lake Tahoe at night though.

So I guess this could use a photo. It's interesting that there were a few people who walked along the beach and tried to watch. Surprised that they weren't told to leave since they weren't exactly on the beach but on the property.

0220_AP_VGKAvalanche04_t653.JPG

Really pretty game tonight with the sunset backdrop...

I thought their goal was daylight overcast so that sunlight wouldn't mess the ice. I guess they had to improvise since the weather was too nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter