• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Year 2016 Park Hoppers?

jen23il

Earning My Ears
I know a question was asked about Planning a trip for Christmas New Years this year, it seemed like their question was answered. My question is about Park Hoppers, as stated on New Years Eve you should get to the park you want to celebrate New Years in and not leave.

We are driving in from Dana Point on the 30th just to visit the park (not staying overnight)(which one we have not figured that out yet) and then on the 31st we will check in to probably Paradise Pier or Best Western for one night till the 1st.

Considerations:
1) We are trying to decide if the 30th we should get a park hopper and 31st forgo it. But isn't buying 2 day tickets cheaper than 2 single day tickets? And you can't do a park hopper for only one 2 Day ticket. Correct?
2) Deciding whether we want to celebrate New Years in the Parks or from the room -we don't stay up late. If we don't stay in park would leaving one park at say 11AM and going to the other work - hence a park hopper.
3) Which park DL or DCA would be best place to celebrate the new year in? When we've done WDW we actually do Epcot.

This is our first Disneyland trip. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
1) We are trying to decide if the 30th we should get a park hopper and 31st forgo it. But isn't buying 2 day tickets cheaper than 2 single day tickets? And you can't do a park hopper for only one 2 Day ticket. Correct?
Yes, 2-day tickets ($183) are cheaper than two 1-day tickets ($119 times two, assuming peak pricing doesn't change). Correct, you cannot add the park option to only one day of a multi-day ticket. You also cannot use a 2-day ticket without park hoppers to enter both parks on the same day.

I have celebrated at Disneyland a couple years ago and if you want to spend New Years in Disneyland, DONT LEAVE :tongue:Disneyland normally hits capacity that day and they stop letting people in, even if other people leave. DCA is less busy and you still get they have a special WoC with fireworks at midnight.

One year I worked on NYE and actually liked seeing the midnight fireworks from our property better than in the parks. Less busy and you get to see fireworks from BOTH parks. So if you stay at a hotel that has a view of Disneyland, "staying in" may be a nice option.

DCA or DL? Personally I would go to DCA, just because it is less crowded. But Disneyland is the original park and the firework show with the new projections is great! Not much help there, but I am sure you will have fun in either park. :)

HTH,
Kriss pirate:

I've been to NYE at DLR the last two years. I had no trouble hopping back and forth. The worst year was NYE 2014 and I learned to stay clear of Main Street at 9pm. NYE 2015 it was not near as bad. But I also went and took a short nap in my car at 9pm to avoid the East Coast countdown. Actual West Coast countdown was downright pleasant in comparison.

That's not to say it won't pick up and get super crowded for NYE 2016, but it was not like the 2015 24-hour party where they cut off entry for hours and hours. My personal experience has been capacity closures last for a few hours, but that they do eventually open back up. Can't rely on it happening, though.

Crowd wise, I do prefer DCA. Especially since they do their own fireworks and that's a rare sight. But if you're not staying until midnight, that's kind of a moot point. In Disneyland you could "celebrate midnight" at 9pm.

Thank you thank you thank you for all the input it is very helpful. Other than personal preference I'm not sure which park I want to ring the New Year in at. It's great to hear that seeing it outside the park is an option. Now we are just trying to decide where. I'm willing to pay Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier, and then also thinking Best Western or HoJo. Only avoidance to the non resort is they don't have the music available to go along with the fireworks. Where as my understanding is Disneyland Hotel and Paradise have some sort of music that goes along with the show if in the room or if at PP on the pool deck. Any one know about this?

I'm willing to pay Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier, and then also thinking Best Western or HoJo. Only avoidance to the non resort is they don't have the music available to go along with the fireworks. Where as my understanding is Disneyland Hotel and Paradise have some sort of music that goes along with the show if in the room or if at PP on the pool deck. Any one know about this?

We were at the resort for NYE in 2014. Stayed at the DLH and yes they did have the music on the tv and in the club lounges. We actually had a really good time. We went early in the AM and left in the afternoon when the crowds started to get crazy (we decided to risk it, if it was at capacity we didn't want back in :)). We ate an early dinner at Carnation Station which was fun because you were in the area but away from the craziness. Steak House 55 or somewhere in DTD would have also been nice. We returned to our room and celebrated at the Hotel and the young adults actually choose DCA because it was less busy and they had a great time.

My one suggestion would be to book early---especially with the Hotels you have mentioned. This would include dining, make those reservations at the 60 day mark. The lines even for counter services looked terrible. People were GROUCHY!!!!! about trying to get food.

Thanks 4forMickey that info is very helpful. I will definitely get our reservations in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter