News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uni's strategy of breaking ground and building up significantly before an announcement is ever made is incredible. Avatarland was announced in what, 2011? Six years before any potential opening? Even for a stellar IP with a huge fanbase, how many people will wait that many years for new stuff? In fact, Universal basically hits the nail on the head with their inside joke in the HHN Bill+Ted show.

"Avatarland, coming in 2017...if anyone still gives a *expletive*!"

I've never stayed at GF (and probably never will - it just doesn't appeal to me). However, pool hours in general is something of a pet peeve of mine. These "main/feature" pools should be open virtually 24/7. They should close them for couple of hours in the middle of the night for maintanence/cleaning and that's it. People paying the room rates that they are should be able to enjoy these pools if they wish after returning from the parks after they close - even late closures at MK.

I've never stayed at GF (and probably never will - it just doesn't appeal to me). However, pool hours in general is something of a pet peeve of mine. These "main/feature" pools should be open virtually 24/7. They should close them for couple of hours in the middle of the night for maintanence/cleaning and that's it. People paying the room rates that they are should be able to enjoy these pools if they wish after returning from the parks after they close - even late closures at MK.

IIRC it had always been 'swim at your own risk' after the official hours for a while, and then there was the accident at Pop where a child drowned. For reasons of cost they cannot have lifeguards all the time, but I doubt Disney wants to risk another death even with posted 'at your own risk' warnings.

ETA link: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/florida-disney-death/

Heard from a cast member in the parks today that the Great Movie Ride script and end movie were changed as of today. Has this been reported anywhere?

Heard from a cast member in the parks today that the Great Movie Ride script and end movie were changed as of today. Has this been reported anywhere?

Not officially, but the TCM changes did debut today. Updated queue, pre-show and the ride is now 60% pre-recorded spiel.

the ride is now 60% pre-recorded spiel.

That's kind of funny ... the ride that more than any other is the flagship for degeneration into irrelevance brought on by cost-cutting finally gets some attention ... in the form of more cost-cutting.

Although it has to share flagship duties for neglected irrelevance with half a dozen other attractions ... [name your favorite "classic" AA based dark ride/show here] ...

Uni's strategy of breaking ground and building up significantly before an announcement is ever made is incredible. Avatarland was announced in what, 2011? Six years before any potential opening? Even for a stellar IP with a huge fanbase, how many people will wait that many years for new stuff? In fact, Universal basically hits the nail on the head with their inside joke in the HHN Bill+Ted show.

Spoken from the stage of an attraction based on a 25 year old culty but inactive IP.

Spoken from the stage of an attraction based on a 25 year old culty but inactive IP.

Which is but one small part of an already culty and temporary experience. If anything, B+T has little to do with the films. It's more about the pop culture references and jokes. I've never seen the movies but 95% of the show last year was commentary on things that happened in 2014 that just happened to feature B+T at times.

That's kind of funny ... the ride that more than any other is the flagship for degeneration into irrelevance brought on by cost-cutting finally gets some attention ... in the form of more cost-cutting.

Although it has to share flagship duties for neglected irrelevance with half a dozen other attractions ... [name your favorite "classic" AA based dark ride/show here] ...
Really not that much cost cutting involved. Cast Members for the ride were given a .50 cent raise this past Sunday. They literally just have to interact with the narrator. The thrill of the kidnapper is still prevalent, but guest still learn about the movies in a new way. Some parts were a little cringe worthy, but overall the updates turned out rather well.

OK.

Have to admit, I didn't mind the switch to automated narration in Living with the Land at all. Something about baby alligators and upside-down tomatoes just moves me!

Maybe one of the things that's preventing a complete overhaul of Great Movie Ride is that it's more difficult to obtain licenses for actors likenesses. Would Al Pacino or Harrison Ford drive a much harder bargain than Clint did previously?

Perhaps the viewpoint of the ride could be changed completely ... instead of trying to put you IN the movies, put you instead into the position of a spectator at the making of the films. Sort of a fake backstage tour through dioramas illustrating how famous scenes in the movies were shot. With rear projections, matte paintings, green screens, models on wires, etc. The AAs in the scenes wouldn't be the likenesses of real actors, but would represent the anonymous stand-ins who are there when everything is being set up and lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter