• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please read the article for more details. Disneyland MAY reopen April 1st but Orange County needs to be in Red status to do so. (Currently it's in purple) although it's anticipated to move to Red next week.

Capacity will be limited to 15% and originally limited to residents of the state of California.

Disneyland itself has also not announced its opening timeline at this point.

This is definitely great news though and a huge step in the right direction of reopening Disneyland!!!

Last edited:

Came across this news on the "Inside the Magic" blog about Disney stores. Shift to e-commerce, but I think some people will miss the experience of the physical stores, especially kids.

"Today Disney announced plans to focus on its ecommerce business and significantly reduce its brick-and-mortar footprint, beginning with the closure of at least 60 stores in North America this year.
Over the next year Disney will focus on providing a more seamless, personalized and franchise-focused ecommerce experience through its shop Disney platform which will be complemented by greater integration with Disney Parks apps and social media platforms. This will be coupled with an assortment of new and elevated merchandise from the Company’s full range of brands, including adult apparel collections and artist collaborations, trend-forward streetwear, premium home products and collectibles."

Will take time to recall CMs and train up. Current speculation is definitely open on May 1, but could be up to a couple weeks earlier. Maybe by that time the 15% cap will move to 20-25% or more. Their AP program was cancelled, so it'll be interesting how they handle tickets. I can only imagine how fast their signup site (and they could reuse the "A Taste of ... site) will go down.

Came across this news on the "Inside the Magic" blog about Disney stores. Shift to e-commerce, but I think some people will miss the experience of the physical stores, especially kids.

"Today Disney announced plans to focus on its ecommerce business and significantly reduce its brick-and-mortar footprint, beginning with the closure of at least 60 stores in North America this year.
Over the next year Disney will focus on providing a more seamless, personalized and franchise-focused ecommerce experience through its shop Disney platform which will be complemented by greater integration with Disney Parks apps and social media platforms. This will be coupled with an assortment of new and elevated merchandise from the Company’s full range of brands, including adult apparel collections and artist collaborations, trend-forward streetwear, premium home products and collectibles."
Most of my interactions with the Disney Stores came via malls. I haven't set foot in the mall for years even pre-COVID. That style of retail is dying/dead. Our Disney store closed a few years ago already.

Also, A Touch of Disney is scheduled to last until April 19th, so they can't reopen DCA until after then as the event is nearly fully booked :)

Will take time to recall CMs and train up. Current speculation is definitely open on May 1, but could be up to a couple weeks earlier. Maybe by that time the 15% cap will move to 20-25% or more. Their AP program was cancelled, so it'll be interesting how they handle tickets. I can only imagine how fast their signup site (and they could reuse the "A Taste of ... site) will go down.

I wonder if they will do some "preview days" as well perhaps that is what it will be when only 15%.

Just trying to imagine how much they could charge and people would pay to get back into DLR AND crowds be capped at 15%

$749/ticket?

[
I wonder if they will do some "preview days" as well perhaps that is what it will be when only 15%.

Just trying to imagine how much they could charge and people would pay to get back into DLR AND crowds be capped at 15%

$749/ticket?

Morning tickets and night tickets. They’ll take full advantage of the 15% capacity.

DL president hinted at this in an interview and now it makes total sense. Especially since the current Cali gov will keep this tier system, DL will adapt to make it work.

the better question is, will DL wait to be the last one open like they did in Florida? the comparisons will be interesting!

[

Morning tickets and night tickets. They’ll take full advantage of the 15% capacity.

DL president hinted at this in an interview and now it makes total sense. Especially since the current Cali gov will keep this tier system, DL will adapt to make it work.

the better question is, will DL wait to be the last one open like they did in Florida? the comparisons will be interesting!

Good thought with the multiple "sessions" get more people in per day

They were late to develop a "food festival" so I wouldn't expect them first here either - but this is a little different as they had plans in place before vs I Florida where they had to develop them first. Probably will take them longer to get enough CMs recalled and trained on new procedures.

My guess is they are later opening than others, but the gap is not as long as whatnot was in Florida

Good thought with the multiple "sessions" get more people in per day

They were late to develop a "food festival" so I wouldn't expect them first here either - but this is a little different as they had plans in place before vs I Florida where they had to develop them first. Probably will take them longer to get enough CMs recalled and trained on new procedures.

My guess is they are later opening than others, but the gap is not as long as whatnot was in Florida

UOR was June 4th (it was a surreal day to be in a theme park!) and July 11/July 15 staggered WDW opening. LEGOLAND June 1.

I bet LEGOLAND Cali will be open 4-6 weeks before DL. And then several weeks in between USH and DL.

**only** because of public perception AND ticketing structures/resort priority accommodations. (And possibly Union contracts!)

WDW didn’t have to overhaul their entire park when they opened. There was no plexiglass, and many of the markers hadn’t been placed yet (Disney springs especially was adding things for weeks that I saw first hand!). Looks like they’ll need some sort of ventilation/separation protocol for indoor rides and then any other hoops they e got to jump through.

Good news is that with DL opening, we might see a capacity change or other perk for WDW being added back. It’s always good to throw out smaller possible controversial news when everyone is taking about the big news!

UOR was June 4th (it was a surreal day to be in a theme park!) and July 11/July 15 staggered WDW opening. LEGOLAND June 1.

I bet LEGOLAND Cali will be open 4-6 weeks before DL. And then several weeks in between USH and DL.

**only** because of public perception AND ticketing structures/resort priority accommodations. (And possibly Union contracts!)

WDW didn’t have to overhaul their entire park when they opened. There was no plexiglass, and many of the markers hadn’t been placed yet (Disney springs especially was adding things for weeks that I saw first hand!). Looks like they’ll need some sort of ventilation/separation protocol for indoor rides and then any other hoops they e got to jump through.

Good news is that with DL opening, we might see a capacity change or other perk for WDW being added back. It’s always good to throw out smaller possible controversial news when everyone is taking about the big news!

Are a lot of CA people getting their Disney fix by traveling to WDW? Will WDW have a bit less people while people wait for DL to open?

My guess is DL has been prepping the queues and rides with the social distancing markers and plexiglass during their shutdown in anticipation of opening. The real bottleneck will be getting enough employees back and trained if necessary.

My guess is DL has been prepping the queues and rides with the social distancing markers and plexiglass during their shutdown in anticipation of opening. The real bottleneck will be getting enough employees back and trained if necessary.

They have had those markers in place since June/July, which is when they announced they were originally opening

Are a lot of CA people getting their Disney fix by traveling to WDW? Will WDW have a bit less people while people wait for DL to open?
We just did. But we go to WDW from CA every 3-5 years. We were waiting for the new rides to open for this past trip but once we learned of their delay and the lower crowds, we booked a last-minute trip. Just got back- It was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter