News Round Up 2020

But are they making any money off the AP holder? Maybe their info says those holders really don't offset, in the aggregate, their variable costs (more ride loads, more cleanings, more materials use of sanitizer/bathrooms, more employees needed, etc). I mean, if they have free parking and leave after a couple hours, not eating, what money have they brought the parks?

I think the numbers and the current strategy, and even the discussion in the meeting last week, show they aren't really bringing much right now, when you aggregate them (here or there, an AP spends a ton, but that's probably not the norm right now)...if they were, they'd keep selling APs...

PS - I think the next APs will be a "set cost" and then a "per day cost of use" to offset Covid costs...so it may be "buy the pass, get your 1st 4 days included, and $10/day for every extra visit)...
It takes an hour to get into and out of MK, I'm sure there are some APs that go just to ride PM once, but I doubt that is very common. I think most of the locals going to EP are there for the World Showcase and spending money, not Test Track. There are also different AP tiers that are going to have different patterns, out of state APs aren't coming in for an hour to ride one ride and leaving. Unless they are adding additional trains the additional rider count isn't really affecting ride cycles or maintenance. I am sure there are APs that come in, spend nothing else and leave; I personally would think that would be much lower at Disney World than at say Six Flags, who pushing APs like there is no tomorrow.

You are forgetting the other part of the equation though. If a resort guest blows though everything in AK in 4 hours, they probably aren't going to eat there, won't send much time in shops, etc. A few APs clogging up the lines extends the day of the high value guests. Of course, as @cbs0006 said, this is a fine line, because the low wait times are the main attraction right now. I never spend extra money at Frontier City because I can do the whole park in 2 hours (and their food sucks), but I do a TS everyday I'm at Disney because I am there for 12+ hours.

Unless they just want to kill the AP program, they will not add a variable cost on top of it. Six Flags used to charge APs for parking, but they realized they sale way more APs if it includes parking and those people visit more often. I could see them charging a no-show fee like they do with restaurants.

But I agree with PP, that this debate has probably ran its course on this thread (for now at least).

I really don't think this is the right equation:

The usable value of your pass(es) equals the total sale price of your pass(es) multiplied by the number of days that you could have visited any park prior to March 16 and divided by the total number of access days to any park permitted under the pass(es) at pass activation.

That would be Refund = Cost * (Used Days / Available Days). That produces a bigger refund the more days you went. I think it is probably this Refund = Cost * ((Available Days - Used Days) / Available Days). The math on that at least works out, but seems much more generous than what I've seen offered.

Disney isn’t selling APs right now because they can’t guarantee those people access. You can renew of course. Disney still hasn’t done anything for those who have water park options.

Chapek in the latest earnings call said right out that locals are not the spenders and their week long guests are.
Actually he did not say locals. He said Annual Passholders. There are a ton of Annual Passholders out there that are not local and come multiple times a year. Also, we pay more for our annual passes by a long shot. I am an out-of-state AP holder that frequently comes for a week or more. I have a nine night trip coming up in a couple of weeks. My May trip got canceled, my June trip got canceled and my July trip got canceled. I would have come to every reservation if they wouldn’t have canceled them all. To say that I and tons of other people that are not local don’t spend enough money there is extremely bad business and ticks me off to no end. I actually wrote to Guest Services about this. Basically what they told me was sorry you didn’t like what he said but we can’t wait to see you. Unbelievable

Actually he did not say locals. He said Annual Passholders. There are a ton of Annual Passholders out there that are not local and come multiple times a year. Also, we pay more for our annual passes by a long shot. I am an out-of-state AP holder that frequently comes for a week or more. I have a nine night trip coming up in a couple of weeks. My May trip got canceled, my June trip got canceled and my July trip got canceled. I would have come to every reservation if they wouldn’t have canceled them all. To say that I and tons of other people that are not local don’t spend enough money there is extremely bad business and ticks me off to no end. I actually wrote to Guest Services about this. Basically what they told me was sorry you didn’t like what he said but we can’t wait to see you. Unbelievable
Chapek is the one with the data on locals and annual passholders. I am an out of state Passholder too.

I'm working at home and I hear a commercial saying "We miss you..." anyways it's a commercial for Universal Orlando.
It's trying to get people back to the parks I think it said buy one day get a day, or something like that.

What is the issue with Disney. Are they at their imposed capacity and don't need people back?
Do they want people back but feel it's irresponsible to have deals?
Are the optics really that different between Universal and Disney that once can have offers to attract people back right now and the other can't?

Sometimes it's very hard to try and understanding the reasoning behind Disney's decisions.

And that .. and the continuing work on the NEW things like Tron and Guardians is the hope I cling to. :).
My only fear for any new attraction being finished soon is how will the fall look for guests traveling to Disney. That's when a lot of the government subsidies run out for a lot of people. Getting sick will be the last thing people willl be worrying about.

Honestly its a good news that the refund deadline is coming up. Disney needs to complete the refund process before they can open any new ticket categories. If Disney was to make drastic changes to the AP ticketing system be it what it offers and pricing for it, it would make more sense to have this window of refund opportunity before making changes public or selling them again.

To be honest everyone saying Disney isnt taking care of its most loyal AP holders isnt really giving Disney time to flush this new system out. For all we know the Disney AP system is planning to go to a drastic change, with a different price structure. Before you would roll something like that out it would make sense to offer and give refunds to those who feel the current AP system doesnt meet the expected value of what they paid.

Lets say if I was Disney and was planning to release new types of AP.

First thing you would do is allow renewels all the way up to the expect new AP start window. Second you would want to get the people most unhappy with the current value of their AP to request a refund so they either A have a option to buy in the new system when it goes live or B you limit the number of Passes that are out there that people can renew. The third thing you would do is change what the new AP system is offically offering. I dont have the numbers right here in front of me but suspect the water parks are mostly used by local APs where as Domestic AP holder from other states tend not to use the water park option as much because it hold less value. So lets say Disney gets rid of the water park and more option. Lets also say that even though the water parks are used by locals that the cost of running the water parks is very high and therefore offers less profit or no profit without the few out of state AP holders who do visit them. Lets also realize Disney is facing a staffing issue with the College Credit Plus or International workforce. So lets not open the water parks until everything is back to normal and we can staff them. So lets get rid of any AP with any water Park. Now lets address Park hopping. Right now its not a viable option because of capacity issues as well as the staffing requirements. If people make reservations for the parks they are going to ahead of time Disney can be the most nibble with staffing options and making sure they have the labor they need where they need it. So yep thats something we take away for now and only bring back when we can properly staff as well as have the safe demand.

So now really you only have 3 viable pass options. Florida Resident, Non Florida Resident and possibly if they even open Disneyland anytime this year the Signature Passport Pass. You need to remove the park hopping feature and water park feature. So you adjust the price and offer APs at whatever comfortable margins with the changes reflecting in the discription and pricing. I wouldnt be suprised if they also move the AP discounts around a bit through more weight towards Room Discounts and less to Merchandise and Dinning. The dinning Discount would prob push more people to getting the Tables in Wonderland Card but I could even see that eventually not being the best Discount. Right now Disney is trying to limit the discounts it gives out. They have to play a fine line with staffing and the only Discounts that really cant hurt them to much is room Discounts. Food is getting more expensive and the number of tables they can flip in a night with lower attendance isnt that many. So yeah if I was Disney right now I would be reorganizing my APs and re releasing them with reduced benefits but trying to put a spin on them at a lower price point as them offering All year Around Magic at a Cheaper Price. This would be more geared towards encouraging non Florida residents into buying APs to come back more than once a year and fill up Resort Reservations and forcing them to use that allocation of Park reservations instead of the locals.

But I dont work for Disney and I am not in charge of the bean counting, but if the data shows that local APs spend less than normal park guest or Out of State AP holders then It makes sense for Disney to try and make Changes to the AP system before making it live again, to push better benefits to out of State AP holders instead of locals. Not saying its right or wrong but that is very rarely something a corporation looks at when it comes to profit and shoring up pit falls in operation costs

Last edited:
I'm working at home and I hear a commercial saying "We miss you..." anyways it's a commercial for Universal Orlando.
It's trying to get people back to the parks I think it said buy one day get a day, or something like that.

What is the issue with Disney. Are they at their imposed capacity and don't need people back?
Do they want people back but feel it's irresponsible to have deals?
Are the optics really that different between Universal and Disney that once can have offers to attract people back right now and the other can't?

Sometimes it's very hard to try and understanding the reasoning behind Disney's decisions.

I saw it earlier too. It's buy 2 get 2 for a total of 4 days. Good for some but I'd imagine too many days for a lot of people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter