News Round Up 2020

In a way it’s genius.

Put the price increases out now, when we are MONTHS away from reopening in any way shape or form, and most people will have forgotten about it when they do reopen.

Be public about it, so they can’t be accused of hiding it, but let everyone have their moment of sticker shock while they are all too swept up in pandemic to remember it for long. Then when the parks re-open, it’s just another tap with your magic band when you’re in vacation la-la-land and forgetting about your personal budget.

Just my two cents

Yep people will pay just like they will pay $35-$40 for ears when they reopen.

A question on everyone’s mind is when will we go back to work, school, Disney? I just read this article that doesn’t look good for those hoping for summer trips. It’s hard to grasp that in our 4th week in, we may have many more months of nothing.

“Cahall forecasts “zero park attendance” for the back half of fiscal 2020 and only 50% capacity in fiscal 2021. Disney’s current fiscal year should end around September, meaning the equity research firm is projecting that the current closures will last until at least then.“

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/ig...two-years-before-normalcy-returns-1234573760/

A question on everyone’s mind is when will we go back to work, school, Disney? I just read this article that doesn’t look good for those hoping for summer trips. It’s hard to grasp that in our 4th week in, we may have many more months of nothing.

“Cahall forecasts “zero park attendance” for the back half of fiscal 2020 and only 50% capacity in fiscal 2021. Disney’s current fiscal year should end around September, meaning the equity research firm is projecting that the current closures will last until at least then.“

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/ig...two-years-before-normalcy-returns-1234573760/

No one knows and it is impossible to even guess at this point.

In a way it’s genius.

Put the price increases out now, when we are MONTHS away from reopening in any way shape or form, and most people will have forgotten about it when they do reopen.

Be public about it, so they can’t be accused of hiding it, but let everyone have their moment of sticker shock while they are all too swept up in pandemic to remember it for long. Then when the parks re-open, it’s just another tap with your magic band when you’re in vacation la-la-land and forgetting about your personal budget.

Just my two cents
That's a good point. I know I get sticker shock when I buy things at Disney, but I usually shrug it off. It's not like I am NOT going to buy the $10 hot dog when it "used" to be $9 .. I will just complain about it more. :)

Hopefully this means though that they will severely discount the hotels to get people IN the parks. A $10 hot dog is worth 0 if no one wants to come to the parks out of fear (or lack of disposable income).

Been off the news and rumors page for a week or two because work has been crazy. Just got a two week-long furloughs this quarter. One this week and one in april. Not going to complain because I still have work. Assumed the rumors and news would have slowed a bunch, and it seems it did.

Hope all is well with you and your family in my beloved Buffalo (I'm formerly from Boston, NY). I'm using this down time (we're in lock down here in MA? ) to research more on DVC. Is there a way to message my "contract questions" to you directly? I trust your knowledge and objectivity when looking at DVC.I'm new and have no idea how to post them.

yeah, I think even if they wait a bit longer they still need to have some limited openings for the first week or something as a lot of people will really want to go back to get their Disney Fix. Maybe almost have a lottery to get a ticket to a park each day for a week or something (I know that is not ideal, but some system that enables as many people as possible to get a bit of "Disney" in that first period, safely)
I dont know the logistic side of things as well as others on this board but I was just talking with my wife the other day and we thought they could open up resorts with limited park access and treat it like After Hours essentially. You get 3 hours at a park and can only go to one per day. They could so far as to limit one visit per park every x amount of days. You would have to go to MK, HWS, EPCOT, and AK before you could do a second MK day.

Clearly, Disney will need to recover income, but they might be ignoring a potential recession and large job losses in the country. There will be people who can pay just fine, but potentially not in the numbers they are used to.

For the last several years, we’ve all said Disney will be blindsided by a recession In how they take their “guests“ for granted. I think they’re going to be backing this up quickly when they open. Naturally with it , more cuts.

My only question - Doesn't Hollywood Brown Derby have a full bar? How do you remove a martini from the menu? Can't you still just order one if you want?

The outside lounge had different, specific martinis and you could order them as part of a martini flight - so I think the point/concern is those flights might not be available any more. I am sure you could still order a regular martini for them to make for you

This really isn't news. Disney has plenty of price increases and item descriptions that are scheduled to change regardless of the pandemic. A few websites decided they needed traffic though.

Just recently, they removed Easter brunch offerings that were on their website...sorry... BREAKING: Disney removed Easter brunch
++

I really doubt this was specific to the closures. Likely in the works for a while and now was when they were able to roll them out.

++

I really doubt this was specific to the closures. Likely in the works for a while and now was when they were able to roll them out.

That's my point. Just like all of the other price increases and item addition/removals, it has been in the works. Unscrupulous site(s) need clicks

I'm not sure what good temperature checks do for a virus that spread asymptomatic ly. I mean, it would catch some, but not most. Disney is a germ factory, especially since there are so many little kids that simply don't understand social distancing. The more I think about it, I wonder if they will have no choice but to stay closed until there is a vaccine available.

That's my point. Just like all of the other price increases and item addition/removals, it has been in the works. Unscrupulous site(s) need clicks
Oh but you really don't have to increase prices. In the works or no, you don't.

It would be news anyways..it has been at least the last several years I've been paying attention. It just looks worse to do it now when you know there's a global pandemic at play..

Oh but you really don't have to increase prices. In the works or no, you don't.

It would be news anyways..it has been at least the last several years I've been paying attention. It just looks worse to do it now when you know there's a global pandemic at play..
No they don’t “have” to necessarily but Disney has to find ways to increase revenue when they are losing it. There are several ways to go about that and this is just one of them.

No they don’t “have” to necessarily but Disney has to find ways to increase revenue when they are losing it. There are several ways to go about that and this is just one of them.
I know. We've been talking about this stuff for years so it's not new of course this is a way they do things. If this was already in the works it's not related to them losing revenue related to the parks closing, it's a seasonal (because it's been happening multiple times in a year for the past several years) thing they do but during a global pandemic seems like a poor time to continue to raise pricing like business as normal.

How much money are we even really talking about that it will gain them in revenue (rhetorical question) when they don't have the parks open, don't have a clue when the parks will open, don't have a clue how many people will even travel to the parks when they open, don't even know in what capacity the parks will be in when they reopen, etc.

There are businesses out there struggling and there are ones who don't do the same decisions that Disney does. Business is business but not all business is done the "disney way". And to be clear it's not Disney themselves; it's businesses in general who would be making these types of decisions during this time that all look bad.

Anyways I get it but it doesn't stop me from having a less than stellar opinion of them at the moment :)

I'm not sure what good temperature checks do for a virus that spread asymptomatic ly. I mean, it would catch some, but not most. Disney is a germ factory, especially since there are so many little kids that simply don't understand social distancing. The more I think about it, I wonder if they will have no choice but to stay closed until there is a vaccine available.

I think Iger used temperature checks as an example ... but they're going to need some other type of diagnostic much better than temperature. I'm not sure what other types of screening will be available in the coming months, but I envision something like a rapid antibody check performed before your resort stay or you enter the parks (if staying off-site). And how many guests will want to go through that?

I still predict limited park openings won't happen until AFTER Labor Day at the earliest, and probably targeted by November as we head into Thanksgiving and beyond.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter