News Round Up 2020

Suspending construction projects to save money is not what they are thinking. The longer a project takes the more expensive it gets (cost of materials go up, etc.)...delaying these projects just means they will cost exponentially more in the long run. If they felt they could have construction going on they certainly would, they are following CDC guidelines and thinking about the health and safety of the workers.
They are suspending construction projects to conserve as much cash on hand as possible.

This is a bit late, and most of it might be out of date or obsolete since our late February/early March trip to WDW.
We stayed at Copper Creek on our very first DVC stay.
Had a constant view of Reflections. We saw what appeared to be the first piling being driven into the ground. Copper creek pool which had been reported as having a broken heater, was most obviously fixed for our time there.
Tried like heck to get a good view of mk to GF walking path construction, but our one monorail trip, I got crowded out of the prime viewing spot.
Went to hoop dee do review. Construction on the waterfront of the fort is pretty apparent, but I do think it could be worse.
Rode the skyliner, and my wife used the same words I've read here before.....game changer. We used it on our ride of the resistance day to go kill time at Epcot. Actually got a little chilly on it, but wasn't a hot day.
Rise of the resistance.....wouldn't you know it we picked that one day where all the boarding groups were gone in 30 seconds as our first try. Wife actually got in, but then lost internet connectivity. No biggie, we were in slinky dogs line, so we can at least do that.......turned out that had a slow start, and didn't get on that anyway.
Got evacuated from Pirates one night.....that was interesting. We were about 3 boats back from the offloading conveyor when it stopped....just short of the treasure room.
The new Epcot fireworks were cool. I still like illuminations, but this was pretty good considering it's only an interim show.
Epcot construction is massive. Not much they can do to hide it, but still on the ugly side.
Tron, Rat, Guardians all seem to have been moving along fairly well..
Was able to do two moonlight magic events, one at AK and the other at MK. Enjoyed them and would do again.
Tried City works at Disney springs. Good service and food, but that place is up my alley, so I'm biased.
Bus service from Wilderness lodge especially to AK was less than the standard I'm use to at Disney. We were told they had just revised routes and schedules and it was a by product. Hope they learn and improve on it.
As always, we had a good time. Of course, I did come home and get laid off from my job after about 5 hours back in. Not entirely surprised and had been preparing for the eventuality, but was maybe a few months earlier than anticipated. With the Covid-19 thing my industry has taken a real hammering, so I think it was a blessing in disguise.
We have a trip planned for October, like everyone, I have no idea what that might look like at this point.

Last thing I noticed, after going to wdw at this time for the last few years, was it was certainly busier, but the lines were consistent. Where some of the attractions that have split loading, and use to only load at 50%, they seem to be loading at 100% speed and capacity. The noticable ones were space mountain and Pirates.

This actually gives me hope that they may actually open on April 1.
i guess I see two scenarios (for the country and WDW along with it)

After two weeks of this .. and if there is very little coronavirus in your own backyard, people will be frustrated with being cooped up inside, losing their jobs, potentially losing their businesses, tired of not seeing friends and family and say "enough of this!" and start congregating and re-opening things on their own but taking a LOT extra precautions. If the country starts to loosen up, then companies will start loosening up and re-opening (including Disney) .. I just don't know if that will be April 1 .. that still feels too son.

Or .. the virus is WAY more worse-case scenario and public pressure and government "guidelines" will prevent things from re-opening and this goes WELL into May.

i guess I see two scenarios (for the country and WDW along with it)

After two weeks of this .. and if there is very little coronavirus in your own backyard, people will be frustrated with being cooped up inside, losing their jobs, potentially losing their businesses, tired of not seeing friends and family and say "enough of this!" and start congregating and re-opening things on their own but taking a LOT extra precautions. If the country starts to loosen up, then companies will start loosening up and re-opening (including Disney) .. I just don't know if that will be April 1 .. that still feels too son.

Or .. the virus is WAY more worse-case scenario and public pressure and government "guidelines" will prevent things from re-opening and this goes WELL into May.

I sure hope people in this country are smart enough not to go with the first scenario. This is simply not about how you feel or how your neighbor/friend/brother/whatever feels. This is about keeping the strain off of hospitals. MA hospitals around me are already hitting capacity and we are not at the peak of this. My mom has already lost her income for the year (she is a teacher in OH). I am wfh currently but I support an industry that is going to want to make cuts soon and I may be out of a job. My trip at the beginning of May (rented points) is already in the midst of being reschedule which is something rental companies do not do normally. I am devastated but realize that is beyond just me and my trip to WDW.

This is going to hurt a lot of people. There is no way around it. But we cannot end up like Italy where doctors have to deny care to dying patients because they are out of resources and with this sort of attitude and America's lackluster early response to this you can count on a bumpy ride for a while. NY is projecting they will peak in 45 days and at the time be up to 50k short in terms of beds/space for people if we do not slow the curve.

It's honestly really irresponsible to not follow what actual medical experts are saying. The CDC and WHO have extensive resources on their websites available to the public. Dr Fauci has been very forthcoming about the severity of this virus. Why people choose to continue to ignore this is beyond me. Do you think AMC is closing for up to 12 weeks and losing income just as part pf a game of chicken to see what company or State can react the most? Seriously? I have close friends and family members with compromised immune systems. I have crohns and asthma. This is not a game.

They are going to open Epoct when they open the rest of the parks. They aren’t going to walk away from a revenue generator like food and wine.
Are you implying that none of the parks reopen until Food & Wine? Otherwise I could see the other parks reopen but Epcot remain closed until Food & Wine. People have suggested that in its current state it's a seasonal park; this would be Disney's excuse to make it one.

If the parks really are all closed until Food & Wine then (barring a government bailout) TWDC will likely be in Chapter 11 so what reopens won't be up to them, it will be up to the bankruptcy judge.

Last edited:
Yeah, we are talking months and not weeks when it comes to Disney reopening.
We will see but I'm doubtful it will be months. Yes, the virus will be around for longer, it will always be around. Things will not be quarantined for months After a few weeks the risk of people losing lives because of no income/being isolated is greater than the virus.

We will see but I'm doubtful it will be months. Yes, the virus will be around for longer, it will always be around. Things will not be quarantined for months After a few weeks the risk of people losing lives because of no income/being isolated is greater than the virus.
It’s been two months and counting for Shanghai. Shanghai is a little different of course since the Chinese government has majority ownership. They were also much more aggressive in the measures they took to get the virus under control. In the end it’s impossible to know at this point since we have not hit the apex of the curve yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter