News Round Up 2020

Bummer. :(

This paragraph makes it sound like we won't be able to use our phones to unlock door and such? Or is that already available.

I haven't been in a few years...

MagicBands will no longer be provided complimentary to Disney Resort hotel Guests with arrivals beginning January 1, 2021. For Disney Resort hotel room entry, Theme Park entry and charging purchases to your hotel room with a valid credit card, you may use a Key To The World card (provided at the Front Desk). Or, you may use a MagicBand from a past visit or purchase a MagicBand prearrival.

The next paragraph mentions being able to use your phone if you do online check in.

"In addition, we highly recommend using our Online Check-In/Direct-to-Room service, which allows you to get to the fun faster with real-time, room-ready updates. Sign up for room ready notifications and use the MyDisneyExperience app as a digital room key to enter your Disney Resort hotel room. The app is also a great tool to help you plan before and during your visit. "

You can add it to your MDE account either on the app or on the website. You just have to type in the number on the back of the band and then select which person to link it to. Then everything that that person has, the magicband has. We do it all the time when new limited edition bands come out.

I think we will buy the mint green and light pink magic bands! Because apparently I need to find a way to spend money that I don't have to spend...

(I also like the lavender and turquoise...hmm...)

Last edited:
It is a bummer .. as it is another "free" magical thing we all have gotten used to "sorta" going away, but frankly surprised the complimentary stuff didn't end sooner. Still pretty convenient for the tickets/hotel key/photo pass/touchless payment . Though .. I can easily see them just phasing them out over time and have everyone exclusively use their own phone if the bands aren't selling .. way cheaper to let the customers bring their own device to use .. especially when probably a huge percentage (if not all) of guests have smart phones

I would think that SOME people would still want them as collectibles/souvenirs though --(I am a sucker for them .. when I saw I could get a Baby Yoda one for only $15 for our January trip I ordered it immediately for my son. I was planning on not getting any since we have four premium magic bands that were shipped but we never got to use for June 2020). (You can probably picture my wife's eye roll when I told her I bought the kids more magic bands :)).

I think the bands will lose their "magic" when not everyone is using and when you don't get them "for free" as part of your resort stay. Less and less people will get them and use them . .and then less and less people will "want" them.

It is a bummer .. as it is another "free" magical thing we all have gotten used to "sorta" going away, but frankly surprised the complimentary stuff didn't end sooner. Still pretty convenient for the tickets/hotel key/photo pass/touchless payment . Though .. I can easily see them just phasing them out over time and have everyone exclusively use their own phone if the bands aren't selling .. way cheaper to let the customers bring their own device to use .. especially when probably a huge percentage (if not all) of guests have smart phones

I would think that SOME people would still want them as collectibles/souvenirs though --(I am a sucker for them .. when I saw I could get a Baby Yoda one for only $15 for our January trip I ordered it immediately for my son. I was planning on not getting any since we have four premium magic bands that were shipped but we never got to use for June 2020). (You can probably picture my wife's eye roll when I told her I bought the kids more magic bands :)).

I think the bands will lose their "magic" when not everyone is using and when you don't get them "for free" as part of your resort stay. Less and less people will get them and use them . .and then less and less people will "want" them.

I could also see them adding them as part of promotional packages or have trav l agents be able to include them for "free" ... Basically using them as more promotional items and extras when you book certain ways vs just every room coming with them

Some people definitely took it too far - I saw a post that someone did a 13 night stay with changing resorts 12 times during it so they got 12 sets of magic bands

I could also see them adding them as part of promotional packages or have trav l agents be able to include them for "free" ... Basically using them as more promotional items and extras when you book certain ways vs just every room coming with them

Some people definitely took it too far - I saw a post that someone did a 13 night stay with changing resorts 12 times during it so they got 12 sets of magic bands

That just sounds exhausting.

I think part of it is Epcot should be more than festivals. Epcot has relied on festivals to bring in people for the last 10 or so years. The park should be able to live on its own. It’s nice to have special events but these festivals are change some colors and repeat one after another.

I hate how EPCOT has become basically a giant, themed bar with a few rides up in the front. I hate walking around World Showcase at night having to wade through people with drinks. Now, people are drinking there more and more during the day. I sat outside at Regal Eagle at LUNCH a few weeks ago with my kids, waiting for my husband to bring our food. I watched a young lady try to juggle three beers filled to the brim to her friend waiting at a table, spilling them all the while. I will admit, I'm not a drinker, but I don't mind folks having a drink. What I see there more and more, though, is people going with the intention to get drunk. Even my 7 year old pointed out a group with matching "Drunk #1, 2, 3" shirts! I saw another Dad with his family wearing an Incredibles shirt that said "Incredibly Drunk." Sorry - I'm on my soapbox, but if you can't take your kids to a theme park for a few days without being hammered, you might have a problem. I'd be for opening Pleasure Island back up and leave the alcohol in the parks to the table service restaurants again, but I know I'm in the minority.

I love Flower and Garden - I remember topiaries WERE EPCOT before Flower and Garden was a thing, but Food and Wine turning into year round booze and overpriced samples I am not a fan of.

I HATE BEING ON MY PHONE at Disney. I want to AT Disney, in the moments, not using my phone. :(
the magic bands are easy and nonintrusive and I don't have to CARRY them.

I hate how EPCOT has become basically a giant, themed bar with a few rides up in the front. I hate walking around World Showcase at night having to wade through people with drinks. Now, people are drinking there more and more during the day. I sat outside at Regal Eagle at LUNCH a few weeks ago with my kids, waiting for my husband to bring our food. I watched a young lady try to juggle three beers filled to the brim to her friend waiting at a table, spilling them all the while. I will admit, I'm not a drinker, but I don't mind folks having a drink. What I see there more and more, though, is people going with the intention to get drunk. Even my 7 year old pointed out a group with matching "Drunk #1, 2, 3" shirts! I saw another Dad with his family wearing an Incredibles shirt that said "Incredibly Drunk." Sorry - I'm on my soapbox, but if you can't take your kids to a theme park for a few days without being hammered, you might have a problem. I'd be for opening Pleasure Island back up and leave the alcohol in the parks to the table service restaurants again, but I know I'm in the minority.

I love Flower and Garden - I remember topiaries WERE EPCOT before Flower and Garden was a thing, but Food and Wine turning into year round booze and overpriced samples I am not a fan of.
People are going to drink around the world with or without the festivals.

I know. Thanks. I have no problems with the free ones going away.
It was just an opportunity to complain about everything moving to the phone.

Considering I’ve tried, and failed to unlock my room in the 10+ times I’ve been down there since they introduced the ability to unlock your room with your phone, I have no plan on ditching my magic band. I also don’t like mobile ordering.

I think we will buy the mint green and light pink magic bands! Because apparently I need to find a way to spend money that I don't have to spend...

(I also like the lavender and turquoise...hmm...)
I like the mint green, turquoise and lavender :)

My husband probably doesn't care too too much but he did seem to like MB when we were there. We'll need news ones by the time we go back since it's been since 2017 with no plans in the near future. I've liked some of the patterns but the cost is too high. I just have to hope they don't creep too much in cost by the time we make it back. It's not exactly a cost I want to pay but it's small enough right now not to be too too bad.

Old MBs to my understanding will still work but ride photos may not after so long (I *think* something like 2-3 years?), someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

I enjoy the festivals! We normally go to Disney once or twice a year so it's nice to have a festival to enjoy at Epcot. While many here go numerous times a year, I would guess many Disney guests only visit once a year (or even less) so it's nice for them to have a festival to enjoy during their stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter