News Round Up 2020

I think they could’ve compromised a little with APs (especially Platinum) at like 7 days. That way, those of us that are out of state APs could at least plan a week’s vacation. I’m not reserving a hotel and driving 8 hours for only 3 guaranteed days. Waiting to see if you can book a rolling day once the initial craze slows down. I spent $1,000s on APs, I’m not about to give them 4x my nice, discount, off-property hotel just to book more days with a resort reservation.

FYI - I know it was a bit inconsistent in the past but appears with the new updates that went through last night (including opening up tickets and resort booking for 2020) Disney officially changed to for AP holders they can book days for their resort stays AND 3 other days

The irony is that some of us already could do both. Glad they "announced" this and fixed it for all.

That makes ME much less appealing to me. We were already thinking about doing the unthinkable (to us) - renting a car. Being DVC and AP holders, parking is free. If I gotta lug my bags anyways I would likely Uber from the airport and back, which would run around $80. For another $100 I might as well get a car and then I am not beholden to probably the most COVID-risky part of the trip - the transportation.

Assuming this is due to more people handling baggage, entering your room, etc. hopefully it comes back. Totally stinks, one of my favorite features of the Disney experience.
It's a divided feature I feel like at least on the Boards with some people saying "I always use it" to others saying "I never use it I like to handle my own luggage". I have seen plenty of threads about time it takes to get the luggage to one's room. That said I know enough people see it as a plus for ME over getting to their resort a different way and that might be a big blow to them.

I do wonder if we'll see it come back. I know some things are welcome changes for our post-COVID lives but others we dearly hope are just temporary ones

Assuming this is due to more people handling baggage, entering your room, etc. hopefully it comes back. Totally stinks, one of my favorite features of the Disney experience.
This virus is really hurting "customer services" --- in the name of safety. I hope a lot of these things are temporary and things don't become like gas stations that went from full service to self service and stayed that way forever.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case -- it is more than likely that fast food restaurants won't even have counter service anymore in favor of the self-serve kiosks.

Heck -- my local McDonald's has a sign saying there is a "coin shortage" and they don't want to accept cash.

They need to manage the capacity for the parks so they would cap each day and if AP holders book every day and then don't show up that is capacity space they are taking up but not being used. Ad we saw how quickly the Passholder "bucket" of slots got filled and that is with limiting them to 3 days. If it was 7 or 19 or whatever it would have been even more extreme

Not sure what the best solution is (maybe some system that they keep track of unused reservations, or maybe 3 per month and a few extra per year you can reserve so that you can lock in some dates for an upcioming trip you have later in the year but still have some to use for more upcoming days?) ... they need something though just for capacity tracking

If they need to manage capacity, then they shouldnt be selling new reservations. If they dont like aps having that much access then refund everyone and discontinue aps.

If they need to manage capacity, then they shouldnt be selling new reservations. If they dont like aps having that much access then refund everyone and discontinue aps.

it's not that they don't want APs to come - they want every spot they hold to be filled witha person in the park spending $ so they don't want a bunch of spots held up by someone who makes a bunch of reservations and rarely shows up

and you can get an refund on your AP if you want

It's a divided feature I feel like at least on the Boards with some people saying "I always use it" to others saying "I never use it I like to handle my own luggage". I have seen plenty of threads about time it takes to get the luggage to one's room. That said I know enough people see it as a plus for ME over getting to their resort a different way and that might be a big blow to them.

I do wonder if we'll see it come back. I know some things are welcome changes for our post-COVID lives but others we dearly hope are just temporary ones

It certainly will change how I do things. I hope it comes back though I almost can't see it happening. It's a huge advantage, especially being able to check the bag to your airline. If they get rid of it all together, aside from the money aspect, why would I want to drag my suitcase to the other terminal to catch ME, so much easier to just take an uber. Not wanting to give them ideas either but I'd be ok paying a small fee for them to handle mt luggage, which shouldn't be needed.

It's hard for me as I do travel solo so I like staying on site, it's just easier but luggage really is part od that. Silly as it may be, but combined with the higher resort prices this might be enough to push me offsite, use hotel points and get a car. But then that all sucks up more time so is it worth it in the end even with an AP. Lot's to consider.

it's not that they don't want APs to come - they want every spot they hold to be filled witha person in the park spending $ so they don't want a bunch of spots held up by someone who makes a bunch of reservations and rarely shows up

and you can get an refund on your AP if you want

By that logic, every ap should be able to reserve as long as they attend, which means a system that punishes those who no show is better. Ill bet you a million they want to limit ap attendance as much as humanly possible without the pr issue. They would rather 0 ap and day guests.

By that logic, every ap should be able to reserve as long as they attend, which means a system that punishes those who no show is better. Ill bet you a million they want to limit ap attendance as much as humanly possible without the pr issue. They would rather 0 ap and day guests.

I don't know about 0, but yes, typicall a guest traveling in and staying on property will spend more $ / day than a passholder so yeah, that is why the split at least

In the past we did use the luggage service with Magical Express. But it most likely won't affect us either way for our next trip. We are most likely driving from PA instead of flying if we go in 2021 because we feel more comfortable with that.

In the past we did use the luggage service with Magical Express. But it most likely won't affect us either way for our next trip. We are most likely driving from PA instead of flying if we go in 2021 because we feel more comfortable with that.

I won't be getting on a plane for quite some time. I'll be driving from NJ for our next trip. Still can't book past September of next year.

I won't be getting on a plane for quite some time. I'll be driving from NJ for our next trip. Still can't book past September of next year.
I'm with you. We have a trip planned for November and I'm debating whether to go through with it and drive or just scrap it for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter