News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

interesting - seems not the most family friendly to be one of the first promotions for the new service (e.g., the prick joke)
Yah, I was kind of surprised there wasn’t at least a little warning that this is not as kid-friendly as most Disney/Pixar content. I wonder if it’s an attempt to set the streaming service apart a little?

interesting - seems not the most family friendly to be one of the first promotions for the new service (e.g., the prick joke)
Right -- who is that geared towards? I mean animation doesn't have to be for kids -- but you see the snapshot of the cute, pink ball of yarn and you think -- how cute.

But, this is the first Pixar short i just didn't like (with Bao a close second)

Adult content (and language) .. it wasn't particularly funny (or sentimental) and was just a 8 minute animated political statement about women breaking into the male-dominated workforce.

It doesn't really do much to sell the Disney+ service.

(So Pixar is getting in on this political train now? I am not enthused about seeing politically charged shorts -- I get that enough already in my Star Wars. :)).

https://www.pixar.com/sparkshorts/

Sparkshorts itself is supposed to be an "experimental" project within Pixar. So it makes sense that work it produces aren't quite what you'd expect from regular Pixar output. What's weird is that this was used as a promotion for Disney+. I mean there will be plenty of more mature offerings on Disney+ I assume, but leading with Purl is indeed an odd marketing decision.

Sparkshorts itself is supposed to be an "experimental" project within Pixar. So it makes sense that work it produces aren't quite what you'd expect from regular Pixar output. What's weird is that this was used as a promotion for Disney+. I mean there will be plenty of more mature offerings on Disney+ I assume, but leading with Purl is indeed an odd marketing decision.
Thanks for linking that.

I watched the short and I do agree it's a bit odd. Maybe because it's such an in your face type thing with certain aspects of the short catching people off guard.

I looked over the other shorts from that link and I am intrigued about them.

I can't say that it's necessarily political in nature (though it def. could be) but I would say is it's taking current as well as a more classic theme in at least one short. I've put this next part in a spoiler just in case people don't want to know what some of their other shorts are which can be found in the link:

you've got autism in one short, a pitbull (on a chain too) in another interacting with a stray cat, a child with differences (in this case floating) and the parental and public reactions to that difference, a grandmother and grandson in another maybe hinting on family bonds (which is one I could see is a classic theme). The robot one I'm not quite certain from the description what it may be touching on.

All just my thoughts and I could for sure be wrong on some of the things related to future spark shorts listed in the spoiler.

yeah, I don't have an issue with Pixar doing this sort of thing, but with Disney+ it seemed like an odd choice to sort of lead with. Didn't Disney come out and say they won't have any R rated material on Disney+? Not saying this short was R Rated or anything, but clearly Disney is trying to position Disney+ as more family friendly than other streaming services, so you'd think they would focus on examples of that

yeah, I don't have an issue with Pixar doing this sort of thing, but with Disney+ it seemed like an odd choice to sort of lead with. Didn't Disney come out and say they won't have any R rated material on Disney+? Not saying this short was R Rated or anything, but clearly Disney is trying to position Disney+ as more family friendly than other streaming services, so you'd think they would focus on examples of that
Iger flat out stated that Disney+ will be family friendly and Hulu will be for mature content.

right, so seems odd to have one of the first things out there that they state will be available on Disney+ to be very much not Family Friendly
I find it subjective. Obviously that's not a short for toddlers (not everything Disney makes needs to be) but I do think the vast majority will be family friendly for all. Disney is developing marvel content which I imagine won't be rated G either. There will be a wide variety of content for this service.

right, so seems odd to have one of the first things out there that they state will be available on Disney+ to be very much not Family Friendly
I don’t really see this as being any less friendly than the Star Wars or Marvel content they’ve released so far, and we know more of that is coming to Disney+. I’ll assume that the line is PG-13 content being okay, but beyond that being Hulu stuff.

I find it subjective. Obviously that's not a short for toddlers (not everything Disney makes needs to be) but I do think the vast majority will be family friendly for all. Disney is developing marvel content which I imagine won't be rated G either. There will be a wide variety of content for this service.

well, I might be more on the prudish side but I would let any of my kids watch this (oldest will be 10 this month)

I don’t really see this as being any less friendly than the Star Wars or Marvel content they’ve released so far, and we know more of that is coming to Disney+. I’ll assume that the line is PG-13 content being okay, but beyond that being Hulu stuff.

Obviously everyone is different but I let me kids watch Star Wars but I wouldn't let them watch this - with the use of the A-word and the prick joke

Obviously everyone is different but I let me kids watch Star Wars but I wouldn't let them watch this - with the use of the A-word and the prick joke
That's why I said its subjective. I can't remember everything I watched when I was 10 but I probably did see some things once in a while that had some things other people wouldn't let 10 year olds watch.

Like I said though there will be a wide variety of content and this is just one short in the grand scheme of things.

Difference in judgement I guess. But I also don’t have kids and grew up watching things like Goodfellas, Godfather, and Rambo younger than your kids are now. You probably have a better gauge on that than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter