News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my poor knees. I would be very tempted to do a SW race! What's the absolute maximum time needed to still qualify?
No need to qualify. You just need to keep a 16 min/mile pace. The 5K is a lot more lenient than the larger races.

Well, I just checked my date and there is no availability and this offer hasn't even come out yet....Wonder if it is basically for closer to fall (and the last showings of Illuminations) but have included any dates that have open seating.... Either that or they just sat aside all available times...
I think they tend to have a buffer in the restaurant reservation system allowing for some walk up traffic. I'd assume in this case, that is probably going out the window. So the walk up guests will basically be shut out I'd guess.

Yeah. lots of people have commented that they have a place for those who are eating inside to go out and watch. Figure this late that is what we will do. I do spend a lot of money on food so it is not out of the realm that I change it once full details come out. Already hitting Ohanna, Boathouse, Cali Grill, and Yachtsman so $150 more than I had planned for that dinner wouldn't be ruled out.
I normally don't mind paying extra for dining packages, but this one is outrageously overpriced! It's $85 for a 3-course meal. I totaled up what we would probably spend and it was around $65 (no appetizers, yes to desserts) for 2 people (I also have the TiW discount). So, yeah, $105 extra for Illuminations viewing and meals I am not as interested in - hard pass!

We are doing the Rivers of Light package, but that is at Tiffins, where any dish is included, so if we get the surf & turf it almost is even already! ($67 for package vs $62 for entree, ~$15 for appetizer, ~$10 for dessert, ~$5 drink)

I normally don't mind paying extra for dining packages, but this one is outrageously overpriced! It's $85 for a 3-course meal. I totaled up what we would probably spend and it was around $65 (no appetizers, yes to desserts) for 2 people (I also have the TiW discount). So, yeah, $105 extra for Illuminations viewing and meals I am not as interested in - hard pass!

We are doing the Rivers of Light package, but that is at Tiffins, where any dish is included, so if we get the surf & turf it almost is even already! ($67 for package vs $62 for entree, ~$15 for appetizer, ~$10 for dessert, ~$5 drink)

In their defense, the all you can drink beer and wine would make it beneficial for me (that's why hoopdedoo is a great deal for wifey and I), just not my family. I usually will drink about 6-8 pints of Harp while I enjoy my meal and the show. That's easily $50-$75 worth. Like I said though, the rest of my party would only have a couple glasses of wine or a couple beers. And the princess that is my Granttinker would be all over the all you can drink milk with her cheesy pasta! :tigger:

In their defense, the all you can drink beer and wine would make it beneficial for me (that's why hoopdedoo is a great deal for wifey and I), just not my family. I usually will drink about 6-8 pints of Harp while I enjoy my meal and the show. That's easily $50-$75 worth. Like I said though, the rest of my party would only have a couple glasses of wine or a couple beers. And the princess that is my Granttinker would be all over the all you can drink milk with her cheesy pasta! :tigger:
I missed the alcohol option! Then yes, it could make more financial sense to some people. I drink, but only when I feel like it, and usually am too tired at Disney to bother (though I don't have any small children to wrangle)!

ARGH! This is sooo annoying! I specifically booked Rose and Crown during Illuminations to be able to see from the seated area. The package doesn't make financial sense at all, since I have TiW. Also, the food I would probably order isn't on the Prix Fixe menu!

There was no guarantee that you would be seated on the balcony anyway though.

I've been looking for just such a thing. Didn't want to do the Frozen one. Thought about renting a boat which like $380. Only 3 people in our party, wife, my son and myself. Son will be 10 at the time of the trip.
Wife will have a drink. I would have a few. I don't think my son will eat enough of what's there.

Yeah, we will be all over this if it's still in place when we go.

the unlimited drinks is appealing - so I assume no TiW discounts on things like this?

I missed the alcohol option! Then yes, it could make more financial sense to some people. I drink, but only when I feel like it, and usually am too tired at Disney to bother (though I don't have any small children to wrangle)!

I think it's a pretty good value for some people. I haven't looked at the menu recently, but figure something like this:

appetizer: $10
entree: $30
Dessert: $10
3 beers: $21

Total: $71

Plus you get a guaranteed seat on the deck and the $85 includes the tip. Priced pretty fair IMO.

I think it's a pretty good value for some people. I haven't looked at the menu recently, but figure something like this:

appetizer: $10
entree: $30
Dessert: $10
3 beers: $21

Total: $71

Plus you get a guaranteed seat on the deck and the $85 includes the tip. Priced pretty fair IMO.

given the unlimited adult beverages I think this pricing is much more reasonable than many other things - though, kinda sucks for those that don't drink - or are "Disney Adults" but under 21

The alcohol on the illuminations package is what tips in favor for me. However, I much as I like an adult beverage, I don't drink a ton at Disney. Usually I've had more than my fair share of sun and need to fill up on water. I like the idea of having a couple + drinks there, but I think at tops I'd have two. I'd like to think I'd have more as no rides would be likely as it's end of night at the park, but I think I'm starting to come down with an advance case of A.G.E.

I've been looking for just such a thing. Didn't want to do the Frozen one. Thought about renting a boat which like $380. Only 3 people in our party, wife, my son and myself. Son will be 10 at the time of the trip.
Wife will have a drink. I would have a few. I don't think my son will eat enough of what's there.

Find likeminded DISers to share a boat. There used to be a thread about this on the boards (Cruise shares). We've shared a boat twice. Divide the boat by 8-10 people it's a pretty good price.

Find likeminded DISers to share a boat. There used to be a thread about this on the boards (Cruise shares). We've shared a boat twice. Divide the boat by 8-10 people it's a pretty good price.
I'm in that thread now, no bites thus far.
I'll probably book our own boat and offer up seats, but this package is worth discussing with the spousal unit before I pull that trigger.

Side problem.....I need my kids hockey team to perform poorly in the playoffs, otherwise our vacation will be shortened. Unfortunately I'm his coach, so I can't really get out of it.

wonder what the odds are of this becoming the NORM..... We usually try to book R&C for Illuminations, but they have changed the menu, and now we find it less appealing. Used to really like the Steak and Fish & Chips - but sadly, it's gone. There are other restaurants with Illuminations viewing, but I'm not sure it they have as good a vantage point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter