News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow ..
Why cancel it now? Just more "budget cuts"? I mean . .they just recently (within,what? last 2-3 years?) redid the stage. Why remove a VERY POPULAR "attraction" from a park that is still hurting for attractions until SWGE opens.

Maybe this means that Star Tours is going to see the chopping block BEFORE SWGE opens .. between this and the odd refurbishment of Tatooine Traders ...

Well, my dream of having my son or daughter do this is gone. I had one opportunity when he was 4 .. and he was too scared (don't blame him) to try.

Do we know if they plan on having this with SW:GE? Makes sense, but I haven't seen a "spot" for it on the maps.

"The travel agent who posted the news said that the attraction at Walt Disney World is expected to reopen at an unspecified later date with some changes"

Like I've said previously .. I wouldn't be surprised if this returns as a paid event .. where the kid gets to keep the lightsaber .. basically the same one as the "build a lightsaber" toy they sell in the store (fun and good quality). Essentially, the Jedi version of BB Boutique ..

Still odd to close it a full year before SWGE would even open.

I could've sworn the original announcement hinted at there being a special area built for this. But with the amount of people asking I'm questioning that memory now. I definitely could see them monetizing it though. $35 per kid at like 20-25 kids per show? That's printing money right there.

I could've sworn the original announcement hinted at there being a special area built for this. But with the amount of people asking I'm questioning that memory now. I definitely could see them monetizing it though. $35 per kid at like 20-25 kids per show? That's printing money right there.

I definitely recall some mention of this but am now questioning if it was anything official or just speculation of what *of course would* happen

Maybe it is one of those Berenstein Bears scenarios

They are going to cross new territory if they went that route. That would be the first time there's a separate paid attraction that wouldn't be included in admission, right?
There's parties that take place before and after hours, dessert parties with special viewing, but not an entire attraction or show that is now off limits.....

I don't know if I could see them doing that, and I'm definitely on the more cynical end of WDW opinions.....I'd hate for them to do that.

But as you describe, there is a demand, and the sign up process can be a zoo. I wonder if they just add it as a FP+ option? Seems like that would solve the issues without crossing into new territory....

But, they do like to monetize...

Nah, you'll be able to sign up in advance online like an ADR, but this special new service comes at the low price of just $59.99 per kid.

But that's not all, you'll get a cheap plastic light saber with every reservation!

I don't necessarily have a problem with this closing, it happens sometimes (although my kids love it so that's sad:(). But my goodness, why not give some notice! People have booked ADRs 180 days in advance, planned which parks they would be in each day, booked FPs 60 days in advance all for Disney's benefit. And now on less than 45 days notice you close something. Of course nothing is ever guaranteed but some people may have been showing their kids videos online, preparing them to participate, getting them excited. I feel bad for those folks, and for those who never got to see their kids do it, it truly was a neat experience for the kids.

I also agree that this may return as a paid event. That seems like an easy answer for Disney.

Or it becomes a tour. Get to meet Chewie & Kylo, fight Darth, see some memorabilia for $79.

Makes me sick to think about. That would be blatantly taking free entertainment and making people pay for it. At least with DAH and EMM they masked it by keeping some EMH.

To be fair there already is a guided tour which includes guaranteed access to these things. I highly doubt they would take all those experiences and make them upcharge only. But I could certainly see them charging for Jedi Training or a version of it. But there's always the issue of what happens when the child gets scared, sick, etc so guest recovery would be constant. Perhaps the more parallel experience would be a Jedi makeover, similar to the Pirates League or the BBB. Then go over and have a guaranteed spot for jedi training or a M&G. Of course we're all just guessing, maybe a little too cynical at that, but still just guesses.

Rumors that Disney might be interested in Gaga as Ursula in the live action Little Mermaid.

I seriously hope this is just a rumor. She is ALL wrong for the part, IMO.
I'd much rather have Rebel Wilson, Kathy Bates, ANYONE else. I'd love to see a heavier drag queen fill the roll - after all she was inspired by the drag queen Divine.

And if this movie does ever go through (it's still in limbo, right?) Disney needs to stop making the live action versions of Ursula as a thin woman. They did it in the Broadway play. They did it in Once Upon a Time.
I've said it before: Ursula is a witch. In the movie she proves that she can transform herself into a beautiful woman (Vanessa). She WILLING CHOOSES to be a fat, purple, sassy, over dramatic cecaelia. She shows over and over in her parts that she is fully in love with herself and the way she looks. Keep that aspect of her character design and personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter