News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
For that matter, is Mickey still relevant?

Yes.

EDIT: I guess I should have elaborated. Mickey Mouse has been on TV almost consistently since 1999 (3 year absence between House of Mouse and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse). Currently he is on two TV shows (one aimed at younger kids and one aimed at older kids).

He's also...y'know, the mascot of a multi-billion worldwide entertainment company...
A debate over what age to depict a character in a ride would never cross my mind before I read this.

If you're going by how old Ford was in comparison to Indiana, then you have to remember that Temple takes place before Raiders. So Ford was older but Indiana was younger. If you're saying the ride takes place "Now" then Indiana would be 119 years old.

Y'know what, that is something I overlooked. The time the ride takes place is most important. Fair enough.

Maybe the could make it a SEA ride, with Indy, the character, as the introducer to the concept of SEA, but Indy wouldn't be the focus of the ride. That whole area would be kind of cool as a SEA mini land eventually. They've already tied SEA into Indy myth at Hanger Bar, so wouldn't be too big of a jump. Although a SEA area in AK could be cool too.

That would actually be a really cool idea. And you could even have non-grandpa Indy being introduced to SEA.

Last edited:
I suppose my question for adding any additional Indiana Jones (to any park) is that is Indiana Jones still relevant? If Kingdom of the Crystal Skull went differently, and actually passed the torch, then perhaps. But think about it, Temple of the Forbidden Eye opened in 1995. Harrison Ford was 52. So that animatronic actually looks like 50 year old Harrison Ford. But when you go to add a new attraction in 2018+...and you have Indy 5 potentially happening with a 75+ year old grandpa...what do you make the boat ride about? Do you have young Ford or new Ford? Young Ford...so did we time travel? Old Ford...do we want to be on a boat ride with grandpa?

I don't know, I think if they want to add any Indy IP, they should reboot the actual character.

We're Indy fans but I don't understand the push to add anything Indy to the parks. I think there are other IP's that would be far more current and work just as well or better in the parks.

With Harrison Ford though, right? Maybe they pass the torch in that movie and on any subsequent Indy attraction we follow new Indy with old Indy guiding him?

I enjoy the Indy films, but man, I really don't want to see 80 year old Harrison Ford jumping around.

This, this and this. I just don't get investing in Indiana Jones in the park at this point. Is there really a demand for that?

With Harrison Ford though, right? Maybe they pass the torch in that movie and on any subsequent Indy attraction we follow new Indy with old Indy guiding him?

I enjoy the Indy films, but man, I really don't want to see 80 year old Harrison Ford jumping around.
Honestly, I would love the following...
1) a new trilogy(?) - Young Indy similar to the TV program that was on, using a new star to reset Indy, but using Harrison Ford at the start of each in recalling the different ages. Then once those 2-3 are done...you could use the "younger" actor to move forward.
2) Pass the torch Indy - Harrison is getting too old, I wonder if he will force "death" as he did in Star Wars...and then pass the torch...
3) Just move on, Have Indy to early intro to new replacement(not child..but former student???) and move on...

I am all for more SEA - though you have the Skipper's Canteen with the connection in MK already as well - so perhaps then it would be more little pockets of it in multiple parks rather than a mini-land in one park

Side note, the kids club on the Disney Wonder is all themed to the SEA and it was really cool - though probably more to me during the open house than the kids who were actually there
Yeah, I was hoping the SEA angle would be expanded with the "coming" jungle Cruise Rock movie

1) a new trilogy(?) - Young Indy similar to the TV program that was on, using a new star to reset Indy, but using Harrison Ford at the start of each in recalling the different ages. Then once those 2-3 are done...you could use the "younger" actor to move forward.
2) Pass the torch Indy - Harrison is getting too old, I wonder if he will force "death" as he did in Star Wars...and then pass the torch...
3) Just move on, Have Indy to early intro to new replacement(not child..but former student???) and move on...

My two cents...
1) Didn't this already kinda' fail?
3) Super dicey. Who knows how/if this will be well-received? Still seems that big $$$ in parks for Indy is an odd place to put money in 2018.

My two cents...
1) Didn't this already kinda' fail?
3) Super dicey. Who knows how/if this will be well-received? Still seems that big $$$ in parks for Indy is an odd place to put money in 2018.
1) was never official - crystal skull had his.."son" but it never called out passing the torch...and the movie wasn't that well written...
3) totally agree - this is the bigger risk

I'm kind of crossing my fingers that Ford is able to have Indy killed off. Put that character to rest.

Back in 2016 Dwayne Johnson was reported as confirmed for a Doc Savage movie. The fact that's it would be written and directed by Shane Black gets me all sorts of giddy. Doc Savage will be a Sony Picture though. But my point is that there is probably some other old Indy-like IP Disney can drudge up and repackage. Problem with that is there wouldn't be name recognition, which is really all that matters, unfortunately.

As much as I don't want to see an action packed Jungle Cruise movie (I'd prefer corny shlock), it wouldn't surprise me if that Dwayne Johnson vehicle, if successful, becomes Disney's next Indy-esque property.

I’ve posted before I think they should reboot Indy. Start with a very young Indy and how he first met Marion. Then move on from there.

As much as I don't want to see an action packed Jungle Cruise movie (I'd prefer corny shlock), it wouldn't surprise me if that Dwayne Johnson vehicle, if successful, becomes Disney's next Indy-esque property.

That would actually be an interesting angle if the Jungle Cruise back story gets built out even further (maybe connected to the S.E.A. as well) and then you could build a "sister" attraction to the Jungle Cruise that is Indy-esque, but not tied to that character specifically

I’ve posted before I think they should reboot Indy. Start with a very young Indy and how he first met Marion. Then move on from there.

Yep. I've argued this point before. Indiana Jones is more like a James Bond type to me. I love the movies but I am all for a recast.

And I really think the character works the best in that early 1900s era. I don't think he worked that well in the 50s.

What is Indy without the Nazis?

Arg. I was all excited for this since I loved the movie when I was little. My thought before I read the description was, "Yes! My almost six year old son will love this - a boy show besides Miles from Tomorrowland/Mission Force One (which he really watches because it reminds him of tomorrowland at WDW)."
But, no.
I think Disney Junior does a good job with programs that appeal to boys and girls. Doc McStuffins, Lion Guard, Puppy Dog Pals, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, PJ Masks... This one probably will too.

I don't know. Sometimes my son just wants to watch what he calls a "boy show". And for him, Disney Junior doesn't have much to offer. I guess I was hoping this could fill the gap between DJ and XD. Oh well.

Arg. I was all excited for this since I loved the movie when I was little. My thought before I read the description was, "Yes! My almost six year old son will love this - a boy show besides Miles from Tomorrowland/Mission Force One (which he really watches because it reminds him of tomorrowland at WDW)."
But, no.
I think Disney Junior does a good job with programs that appeal to boys and girls. Doc McStuffins, Lion Guard, Puppy Dog Pals, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, PJ Masks... This one probably will too.

I don't know. Sometimes my son just wants to watch what he calls a "boy show". And for him, Disney Junior doesn't have much to offer. I guess I was hoping this could fill the gap between DJ and XD. Oh well.

I agree that a lot of their shows aren't really "Boy shows" or "girl shows" - but they generally do have either a boy or a girl as the lead so I can see that driving it

Given that they recently announced a show called "Fancy Nancy" which has a girl lead, a bit surprised this one also had a girl lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter