News Round Up 2017

OF COURSE I realize that! I am not talking about physical "toughness" anyway. Did you read the film description?

Currently going by the running title Nicole, the story revolves Santa’s daughter who is forced to take over the family business when her father decides to retire and brother ends up getting cold feet prior to his first big Christmas Eve flight.

Potentially in this film, the brother is too scared to fulfill his "responsibility" and so the sister has to step in and do the job that he is too overwhelmed to do. Male is weak and inept (and therefore fails), female rises to the challenge and succeeds.

If this were one instance, no problem. But more and more men are made to look like complete idiots in commercials (especially) and shows/film. Have you seen the recent Samsung Galaxy S7 Gear Fit commercials? It is complete body-shaming for men. If those same commercials had women in them, there would be a HUGE public outcry. But because it's men, it's no big deal. Yep - this is a big soap box issue for me...

While I certainly agree body-shaming men should be a way bigger issue, I think as far as movies go there are plenty of options for you to show your boys that showcase strong male role-models. This one movie won't erase the three Santa Clause movies they made with Tim Allen taking on more responsibility and becoming proud of a job he didn't want. Also, knowing Disney, the "weak and inept" brother will probably have some kind of redemption arc and ends up conquering his fears and working with Nicole to save the day or something, which I think would be a really important message for little boys to see - that you can be scared of something but you can conquer those fears. Boys and men are so rarely shown having any emotion or personality in media beyond strong and angry, I think a story where a brother has to conquer his fears with the help of his sister would be a very realistic and rarely told story that would resonate with a lot of boys and young men.

All that being said, it's a little bit early for any of us to assume anything. I mean, how many times have we heard stories about Disney Movies that never happen, or don't happen for ages. They've been working on an Enchanted sequel for 10 years, and we're just now seeing the Beauty and the Beast movie that was originally announced in 2009, then cancelled in 2011, then revived in 2014. This movie might never happen.

Last edited:
OF COURSE I realize that! I am not talking about physical "toughness" anyway. Did you read the film description?

Currently going by the running title Nicole, the story revolves Santa’s daughter who is forced to take over the family business when her father decides to retire and brother ends up getting cold feet prior to his first big Christmas Eve flight.

Potentially in this film, the brother is too scared to fulfill his "responsibility" and so the sister has to step in and do the job that he is too overwhelmed to do. Male is weak and inept (and therefore fails), female rises to the challenge and succeeds.

If this were one instance, no problem. But more and more men are made to look like complete idiots in commercials (especially) and shows/film. Have you seen the recent Samsung Galaxy S7 Gear Fit commercials? It is complete body-shaming for men. If those same commercials had women in them, there would be a HUGE public outcry. But because it's men, it's no big deal. Yep - this is a big soap box issue for me...

Aw man, I wish there was somewhere we could find strong, positive male role models.

This is a discussion for a different thread. But what I'm seeing here is not weakness.
Here you have a story of a family business where the son is expected to take over when the time comes. He's probably been trained his whole life for this! But does he really want to take over for Santa? Does he care about understanding the logistics that is Christmas Eve? Does it really matter? It's the sons role to take over because That's What Is Done. I bet this is a generational thing that has been going on for years. You yourself put responsibility in quotes, so you must recognize this as well.
But then there's Nicole - she's been raised alongside her brother. She understands the work it takes to get those presents delivered and she enjoys it. But because she is not Nick, it was never her place to take over.

The time comes for Nick to take over but he's reached his breaking point. He never wanted to work for the business, and now he's being forced to run it? Nope. Queue very real emotional turmoil as he wrestles with the idea of owning this responsibility that was given to him long before he was born vs the responsibility he has to himself in living a fulfilling life. He can't do it. It wouldn't be fair to him, his family, or the children of the world.

So Nicole steps in. Maybe she never saw herself taking over because that was always going to be Nick. But she knows the system. Things are rocky at first, but by the end of Christmas Eve, she has the whole operation running better than any year before. Meanwhile, Nick has found some other role that allows him to be fulfilled.

In the end, both Nicole and Nick are in better places than the day before. Nicole is now recognized for the strong, intelligent woman that she is. While Nick has been allowed to express emotion (experiencing fear and being overwhelmed is not a sign of being weak as you called out before. It's something that happens to everyone, but males have not been allowed to express) and start on the path to his own happiness.

Yes, there should be more of an equal ground. But a few films that turns the male protagonist into the Damsel in Distress is nothing compared to the years of films that do the same to females

And as for showing this to your sons? Use it as a teaching opportunity. Teach them that it's okay to not be strong. It's okay to have doubts, and fears, and emotions. But don't hold them in under the guise of masculinity because that is far more damaging to an individual than an empowered woman

You've found one of my soapboxes as well

If this were one instance, no problem. But more and more men are made to look like complete idiots in commercials (especially) and shows/film.
Have you seen Mary Poppins (1964)?
“Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they’re rather stupid.”

Last edited:
I usually don't have a problem with tangents - but I think it's time to move on from this discussion.

Did I miss it on this thread? I didn't see a post for this:

NEWS - Electronic FP system at Disneyland is going to be PAID service...

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/01/break...gital-fastpass-service-called-disney-maxpass/

Also of note is that Matterhorn and TSMM are going onto the FP system out there.

http://disboards.com/threads/breaking-disneyland-maxpass-coming-later-this-year.3570884/

OK - but I and others only go to this thread for news - but thank you for adding the link to the main thread - I didn't realize that existed.

I missed it at first as well. I think this one just missed being posted here before taking off in it's own threads

OK - but I and others only go to this thread for news - but thank you for adding the link to the main thread - I didn't realize that existed.

I missed it at first as well. I think this one just missed being posted here before taking off in it's own threads

I started a new thread right away for that since it's big news. I knew it would generate discussion.

I'd be very fine with either. Though I do lean a bit more toward Ratatouille because it's more gender neutral.
Because boys should only like things with boys as the main character, but girls shouldn't care what gender the main character is, right? o_O:-)
Anyways, Beauty and the Beast is undeniably a better movie than Ratatouille, so I would 100% prefer an attraction based on it.

Because boys should only like things with boys as the main character, but girls shouldn't care what gender the main character is, right? o_O:-)
Anyways, Beauty and the Beast is undeniably a better movie than Ratatouille, so I would 100% prefer an attraction based on it.

It's kind of a bummer that there's tons of Princess related things is all. It's pretty heavy handed with the girliness. I didn't even consider the gender of the animal, just that it was something a little different is all. Sorry I offended you, wasn't my intent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter