News Round Up 2017

Well - I agree with this - while Pandora can be an amazing land, there's very few people that are going to be drawn to Disney because of it beyond the "oh new rides"! level. Whereas Star Wars will likely be a massive draw on the order of Harry Potter. I would not be surprised if we see an overall 5-10% bump in WDW attendance (which would be massive) and probably a 25-50% bump in DHS attendance once Star Wars opens. I don't think Toy Story Land will have nearly that draw, but it's more that it's existence will help deal with the crowds.

I tend to agree with you. Though I do wonder if there will be any decrease from people that don't care about Star Wars. Could some of the bump (not all, can't imagine this group would be that large) be offset by people who know it's going to be chaos and don't want to deal with that? Or maybe even more, people that have been priced out with the giant rise in cost to hotels/tickets that I'm guessing will likely accompany the opening? Again, I have no doubt there will be A LOT more people who want to see the land than would decide not to head to Disney because they don't care about it. Personally I don't think I will be planning any sort of a trip for quite a bit after opening for that reason (and I do like Star Wars, but with what we have seen from Pandora and Frozen Ever After, I can't imagine).

The first round of the event was definitely not a huge success considering they ended up giving deep discount (free?) admission, but clearly they thought it did well enough to keep it going. They definitely are going to keep the crowds down at that price point, but I still have never gotten this concept. In 3 hours you can at best do 8-9 rides even with no lines - add another day to your vacation and pay $15 for another park day and you can easily get more done than in these 3 hours. The price point to get me to consider it would be about $50.

I have to agree with that price point, mostly because we did it 20 years ago for $10 pp (E-ride nights), so $115 is way too much. You may be underestimating what can be done in that time, however. Granted, back then, they only had 9 attractions open (PotC, Splash, BTMRR, Country Bears, HM, Space, Astro Orbiter, Alien Encounter, and Timekeeper). However, you could do each one multiple times (usually without ever getting off). Best $10 you could ever spend...hands down. No matter how good an experience, I don't believe anyone can say that about $115.

Well - I agree with this - while Pandora can be an amazing land, there's very few people that are going to be drawn to Disney because of it beyond the "oh new rides"! level. Whereas Star Wars will likely be a massive draw on the order of Harry Potter. I would not be surprised if we see an overall 5-10% bump in WDW attendance (which would be massive) and probably a 25-50% bump in DHS attendance once Star Wars opens. I don't think Toy Story Land will have nearly that draw, but it's more that it's existence will help deal with the crowds.

Boy, I tell ya what, Petey...

Are we entering one of these bizarre "agreeing with each other" periods again?

I totally agree with your AHM post (more on that when I have time...)

But let me ask you on this one:

What do you think would be more likely-
A family plans for an trip due to avatar?
Or a family plans due to toy story?

I'm not saying either is likely...just what is more plausible?

Last edited:
I believe same hours but it was $149 so actually lower now

So I assume they are trying to attract a few more people and thus would figure each night will feel slightly less exclusive but still pretty low head count even compared to holdisay parties

The flaw in your thinking there is assuming anyone other than a few nuts bought the thing last year in the first place...all evidence indicates something else

Oh, I would THINK more likely due to Toy Story...that's assuming they see the ads that will start coming out around.

Not to say that Avatar isn't a good land....but Disney got boned on this one. They went into the deal in 2012 with Cameron under the (stupid) assumption that he would have sequels out by the time they opened the park. Now it's 5 years later and no sign of sequels, and Avatar has ZERO cultural impact anymore. (If it even had any in 2012.) If they are lucky Cameron can pull another rabbit out of a hat with the sequels and impress people enough to re-envigorate interest. I never had an issue with them doing the IP, because I thought it could be a really interesting land, but honestly in terms of getting people to come to Florida, there is almost NO boost beyond "Hey Disney has something new let's check it out."

Toy Story on the other hand continues to be popular with kids - in fact we are at a point now where the kids who grew up on Toy Story are having kids of their own. (Think if they were 5 in 1995, they are 27 now.) So when the marketing push coming for TSL, and the 5 year old with his dad's buzz lightyear says "Oh boy!" then they're may just go. Not saying the "boost" here will be significant enough to tell the difference, but yeah that would be my first pick.

But neither compare to Star Wars. The only thing CLOSE to Star Wars is Harry Potter, and I think I would rank Star Wars higher because you have the parents were raised on Star Wars, whereas Harry Potter is still mostly a young people base, with some older generation that likes it as well. (I would say of family's we know, probably about 20% of the kids and maybe 10% of the parents like Harry Potter, while Star Wars is more like 50% of the kids and 40% of the parents.) I still think that Disney's biggest issue might be underestimating how much demand there is going to be if they do this right - though that is not a terrible problem to have.

Back ON TOPIC: Do they have the models out in the new Walt Disney Presents area? I thought those would be here by 9/8/17.

Boy, I tell ya what, Petey...

Are we entering one of these bizarre "agreeing with each other" periods again?

I totally agree with your AHM post (more on that when I have time...)

But let me ask you on this one:

What do you think would be more likely-

For families? definitely more will come for Toy Story Land. I have heard of some really big Avatar fans who never wanted anything to do with Disney now making trips because of Pandora, but obviously that is a relatively small number

I do think there could be a bit of of an uptick in guests next year after Toy Story Land opening as between that and the positive feedback from Pandora combined is a bit of a draw - and some people wanting to get a trip in before the craziness of Star Wars

The flaw in your thinking there is assuming anyone other than a few nuts bought the thing last year in the first place...all evidence indicates something else

well, obviously enough nuts out there that they are bringing it back. and like I said, all the response I saw from people that did this (and the morning paid one) was extremely positive - obviously from people that can afford the $ / don't mind paying it but they all said it was worth the $ to them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter