• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newly Reopened DLH- Here Now. Anyone have questions?

pharmama

DIS Veteran
Checked in to the newly reopened DLH last night. The hotel looks beautiful and clean and the have welcoming balloons everywhere.

Things I have noticed from the “refresh”, many of which have been mentioned elsewhere:
-New carpet in rooms and hallways
-New bed linens (no more “a dream is a wish your heart makes” accent pillows 🙁)
-New drapes with motif that matches bed linens
-New platform style beds with space underneath for luggage
-Cushioned part of headboard has been redone (used to be brown fabric, now blue. Rest of headboard including light up stuff is the same 😊)
-I can decide if the rest of the furniture is new. If it is, it’s the same style as it was before but all the pieces in our room look brand new- no dings or scratches at all. And the desk has two USB-C plugs (in addition to two “regular” USB plugs) that I’m sure weren’t there last time we stayed here.
-Coffeemaker is now a Keurig
-Rooms keys/locks are now tap and enter style instead of insert

Bathroom looks the same.

We went to the pool last night and it was lovely, though it was almost 9pm so definitely no construction going on at that time.
Trader Sams and Tangaroa Terrace were hopping. I went up there at 9:30pm to get Dole Whip but they were sold out. Had to go with consolation Mickey Bars instead.

Anyone have questions or anything they want me to try and check on while I’m here (until Monday)?

Checked in to the newly reopened DLH last night. The hotel looks beautiful and clean and the have welcoming balloons everywhere.

Things I have noticed from the “refresh”, many of which have been mentioned elsewhere:
-New carpet in rooms and hallways
-New bed linens (no more “a dream is a wish your heart makes” accent pillows 🙁)
-New drapes with motif that matches bed linens
-New platform style beds with space underneath for luggage
-Cushioned part of headboard has been redone (used to be brown fabric, now blue. Rest of headboard including light up stuff is the same 😊)
-I can decide if the rest of the furniture is new. If it is, it’s the same style as it was before but all the pieces in our room look brand new- no dings or scratches at all. And the desk has two USB-C plugs (in addition to two “regular” USB plugs) that I’m sure weren’t there last time we stayed here.
-Coffeemaker is now a Keurig
-Rooms keys/locks are now tap and enter style instead of insert

Bathroom looks the same.

We went to the pool last night and it was lovely, though it was almost 9pm so definitely no construction going on at that time.
Trader Sams and Tangaroa Terrace were hopping. I went up there at 9:30pm to get Dole Whip but they were sold out. Had to go with consolation Mickey Bars instead.

Anyone have questions or anything they want me to try and check on while I’m here (until Monday)?
What time does the pool close? I am hoping to swim late!

How was check in? I’ve read some horror stories about GCH lately. Had also read somewhere they were allowing PPH guests use the GCH entrance to DCA but that seems crazy?

A little sad about the missing pillow, I loved those. Sigh. But I suppose change happens.

Hope you have a great stay! Soak in all that magic!

What time does the pool close? I am hoping to swim late!

Pool closed at 10pm last night. Similar to what I’ve seen for GCH, the slides closed at 8pm. We were glad for later hours since we got in later than we had hoped. Kids were so happy to still able to get a swim in while DH went and grabbed food from Tortilla Jo’s Taqueria which we then ate poolside.

How was check in? I’ve read some horror stories about GCH lately. Had also read somewhere they were allowing PPH guests use the GCH entrance to DCA but that seems crazy?

A little sad about the missing pillow, I loved those. Sigh. But I suppose change happens.

Our check in around 8pm last night was totally painless. Walked straight up to the desk and there was no one else checking in at the time. But we were a bit on the late side with our arrival. The reduced capacity at DLH with only one tower open for now also may also keep things in check a bit.

I loved those pillows too! Definitely a little sad to not see them on the bed.

Pool closed at 10pm last night. Similar to what I’ve seen for GCH, the slides closed at 8pm. We were glad for later hours since we got in later than we had hoped. Kids were so happy to still able to get a swim in while DH went and grabbed food from Tortilla Jo’s Taqueria which we then ate poolside.

Let us know how the construction sounds are for the rest of your stay. I’m almost about to call and try to switch to GCH, but I really just want to stay at the DLH :(

Mondo is my favorite YouTuber and he just did a recent walk through Disneyland Hotel for those interested in watching, the video is linked below.

He covers everything from the daytime construction noises outside and around the pool area, upgrades to hotel décor and an updated room tour. Plus he has updates at eating\drinking at Trader Sam's and Tangaroa Terrance.

FYI, they also checked out Steakhouse 55 and nice to see it one last time before they change the layout.

Let us know how the construction sounds are for the rest of your stay. I’m almost about to call and try to switch to GCH, but I really just want to stay at the DLH :(
Check out the video I just posted above. You can clearly hear it in the daytime when you're outside and by the pool areas.

Last edited:

Yeah, there’s lots of stuff on social media, YouTube etc. I just wanted to offer if anyone here has questions I can help with quickly without having to sort through all that.

So here’s the thing about the construction. The amount of noise and what they’re working on is going to vary somewhat each day anyway as is each person’s tolerance. It’s going to be ongoing for quite a while as they build that tower. They do say it will not start before 9am at least.

Yeah, there’s lots of stuff on social media, YouTube etc. I just wanted to offer if anyone here has questions I can help with quickly without having to sort through all that.

So here’s the thing about the construction. The amount of noise and what they’re working on is going to vary somewhat each day anyway as is each person’s tolerance. It’s going to be ongoing for quite a while as they build that tower. They do say it will not start before 9am at least.

Thanks for doing this and appreciate the feedback. Quick question I have, was the doors from Disneyland Hotel to Downtown Disney. Were they open the entire day\night or do they close those doors once Downtown Disney closes at 11pm?

Have you heard any rumblings of when they're going to open the remaining towers or increase room capacity?

Have you heard any rumblings of when they're going to open the remaining towers or increase room capacity?

I've read that the new DVC tower, that is being built right next to Frontier Tower will take a bit over a year and be rumored to be ready for late 2022/early 2023. Also rumored are that Frontier Tower, since it's so close to the construction site and noise that goes with it, will be closed for the duration of construction.

I have a random question about the gate/entrance into the Disneyland hotel. We're coming for our visit in 3 weeks, and while I was watching the opening walk through videos yesterday, I noticed that there is a gate from downtown Disney into the resort, but the gate is wide open. I would imagine this is so the general public could visit traders sam's, but is it always open? Does it close at night after a certain time? It just seems pointless to have a gate if it's always left open. I hope your having a great time, we can't wait to be there!

I have a random question about the gate/entrance into the Disneyland hotel. We're coming for our visit in 3 weeks, and while I was watching the opening walk through videos yesterday, I noticed that there is a gate from downtown Disney into the resort, but the gate is wide open. I would imagine this is so the general public could visit traders sam's, but is it always open? Does it close at night after a certain time? It just seems pointless to have a gate if it's always left open. I hope your having a great time, we can't wait to be there!
I just called the hotel to ask same question :) 714-778-6600

They said they are still working out details of the "gate hours" (one near DTD).... however if it's ever closed, outside guests can still walk in through DLH valet/main drive. You may just have to exit through DTD security between old Rain Forest Cafe/ESPN Zone and then around to the DLH driveway.

I wouldn't panic as much as some vloggers make it sound, as it seems like it will work similar to the Grand Californian gate entry area in middle of DTD. At least this gives Disney more security control over property access. Of course it would be sad if they closed hotel areas, but I think Disney realizes Food&Bev (and gift shop) purchases happen a lot from non-hotel guests too.

Last edited:
Just found out that I'll be going to DTD next week. My dd has an audition so I'm going down with her. We will only have a partial day to visit and we're not going to the parks, but we'd love to celebrate her recent 21st birthday at Trader Sam's/Tangaroa Terrace. Is that possible? From the linked video above, it looks like the indoor area opens at 4 and we'll be gone by then. Do they do walkups outside or can you make reservations? Thank you for any info! I haven't paid much attention as I didn't think I'd be going down until Sept or so.

Hi! Thank you so much for answering all these awesome questions! Does the mini fridge have a freezer? And are the community microwaves in the lobbies available for use? We go next month. SUPER excited!!

Re: the gate- sounds like others have gotten more info about hours etc. I haven’t seen it closed yet but did notice that it had a key card reader on the outside (DTD side). I can’t tell from the questions above if people are concerned about getting locked out or what but if so it does seem like you’ll still be able to get in with your hotel key if it is closed. But even if you can’t it is an easy walk around to the front entrance (you would not need to go out a different DTD exit as mentioned above-there’s a walkway right before that gate that goes around to the front). I’ll admit I’m a little confused by the all the concern over the gate. Can someone help me understand?

I’m afraid I don’t have good intel on the construction. I am at the pool right now about 20’ from the construction walls and there’s nothing happening over there. I don’t know if that’s because it’s Saturday or because it’s 5:30pm(ish), though I didn’t hear anything when we were walking back to our room around 4 either. I don’t know if it’s safe to take away from that there won’t be work on weekends or after a certain time though as it might vary some?

Last edited:
Just found out that I'll be going to DTD next week. My dd has an audition so I'm going down with her. We will only have a partial day to visit and we're not going to the parks, but we'd love to celebrate her recent 21st birthday at Trader Sam's/Tangaroa Terrace. Is that possible? From the linked video above, it looks like the indoor area opens at 4 and we'll be gone by then. Do they do walkups outside or can you make reservations? Thank you for any info! I haven't paid much attention as I didn't think I'd be going down until Sept or so.
Congrats and break a leg for your daughter!
It’s true that the inside seating at Trader Sams does not start until 4pm. No reservations at any time. The outdoor lounge area opens at 11am. There is a Virtual Walk Up list you can join in the app or just regular walk up, though we haven’t tried either. Tangaroa is open all day.

Newbie to DLH - trip booked for the end of August, we have only ever stayed at hotels on Harbor Blvd, first time staying at DLH. What is the security line like to get into Downtown Disney compared to the Harbor side?

Newbie to DLH - trip booked for the end of August, we have only ever stayed at hotels on Harbor Blvd, first time staying at DLH. What is the security line like to get into Downtown Disney compared to the Harbor side?
What line? ;) Admittedly we didn’t do rope drop this morning but we walked basically straight through around 9am.
A few weeks ago I also used the same entrance when staying at the new Westin and it was totally painless then too. I’m sure it will get busier as hotel and park capacity increase but even in “before times” the security lines at this entrance have never been that bad, in my experience (I’m excluding when only DTD was open last year and this was the main entrance from DTD parking I hear the lines were madness then).

I will add this about the pool/construction sitch- the walls are a bit in your face in the slide area. A fair bit of greenery and chair area is gone and there’s a wall there. But down by the regular pools is still the same as always.
It’s very easy to find a good spot in either area and the pools are definitely not packed at the current hotel capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter