Newbie to Aulani! Dining recommendations?

SpectroMan71

Mouseketeer
Hi! I can't believe I'm finally going to Aulani this October. Not only my first visit, but my first time ever to HI.

Trying to do some food research ahead of time.
1. Is the Luau worth $175 or would you recommend one nearby at another property that could be better?
2. Ama Ama - worth $125 for dinner?

Any other recommendations welcome. Originally I did not want to rent a car due to ridiculous cost, but they came WAY down to regular mainland prices, so now we'll have one for the entire time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi! I can't believe I'm finally going to Aulani this October. Not only my first visit, but my first time ever to HI.

Trying to do some food research ahead of time.
1. Is the Luau worth $175 or would you recommend one nearby at another property that could be better?
2. Ama Ama - worth $125 for dinner?

Any other recommendations welcome. We won't use a car so we're at the resort 5 days so there's about 15 meals to think about :)

Thanks.
Congratulations! Luau worth the price, no. Would I recommend something else, yes but with no car it may be rough but you could always UBER. I recommend Germaine’s Luau in Campbell Industrial Park about 8 mins away. Ama Ama, I guess so if you get the view prior to and during sunset. If not, I’d consider Roy’s which is across the street! Lots of options but you’d have to head off site and could find some quality ones in nearby Kapolei. Also, there are spots in town that I’d recommend as well but of course, all via UBER. I’m sure we’ll converse more. Exciting times!

For a local casual restaurant, head to Broke Da Mouth Grindz - via Uber it’s about 5min away. Local plate lunches, they’ll have Hawaiian style BBQ, garlic shrimp, etc. the food is great, and priced for the local crowd.

I haven't been to the luau but did see it from our room. That is very expensive and I would say not worth it. We went to Toa Luau which was awesome. Entry to Waimea Falls Park($25 value each) was included in the price and we did the hike up to the Falls before the luau. You will need transportation though but could definitely make a day of it in that area.

We really enjoyed our dinner at Ama Ama--food was very good (skip the wine pairing-not a good value), service was a little too chatty and the view is spectacular. For us, yes it was worth it!

Personally I think the luau is the best you can find on the island. Very authentic, good food.

We have not been to Ama since it reopened but it’s a gorgeous view at sunset.

Other restaurants close by are the monkey pod across the street, longhi at the Marriott a 5 min walk (on Tuesday Marriott has its luau which you can see from the restaurant if you tine it right). The Four seasons next door has a happy hour with a few half price appetizers and drinks on the patio. Noe Italian is also very good but pricey.

Eggs and things across the street, next to Monkey pod,,great for breakfest or brunch. Crab Bennie yummm. Do mid morning and the food will take you to dinner time.
I second Timeforme with Tao,,but your not driving. If you factor in the cost savings, there are many services that will drive you around the island,,guided tours and work that in.
Have a blast, go explore the whole island if you can.

Our first time to Hawaii, first stay at Aulani is coming up at the end of May. I share your excitement! We are skipping Ama Ama and the luau but have reservations at Longhi’s at 5:30 on a Tuesday to hopefully enjoy their luau. I have also made happy hour reservations at Mini’s Fish House and Monkeypod. We plan to eat at the various places at Aulani you can make the off site reservations via Open Table. We probably would have done the Aulani luau but all the Prefered Seating spots were sold out and at $204 each, I’m sort of glad.

Just got back and we loved the breakfast buffet at La Hiki. We did the regular $55 breakfast, not the $100+ Sunday brunch. There were tons of options (pastries, yogurt with toppings, charcuterie boards, make your own omelet, eggs benedict, lomi lomi, short ribs, fried rice). They rotate the meats and you can call in the morning to see what they have. The short ribs were AMAZING!

I think the value of the luau is really individual and it's hard to know for sure if you would like it or not. We went to the Toa Luau in Waimea Valley and it was truly, for me, worth the money and so amazing to be at. But, we had a rental car and we did make a day of being on North Shore, which I also thought was well worth the time. We watched the Aulani luau from our balcony and I found it a touch boring, but that's just me.

Luau - yes, it was worth it. I preferred it over Paradise Cove. I was happy the luau included alcohol.
Ama- I never tried it but we are not signature dining people so no interest in it

In 2019 our best meal of the entire trip was the Italian restaurant at the Four Seasons next door, which you can get to just by walking down to the beach and over up the Four Seasons. We also did Ama Ama and Makahiki a few times as well as Monkey Pod.

We do Ama Ama, Makahiki, Olelo Room, Longhi's, Mina's, Noe, Monkeypod, and Longboards or Off the Hook for lunch most days. Usually just buy breakfast at the Ulu Cafe (love the Coconut Chia Pudding)...

I’ll chime in as a positive for Paradise Cove luau—we paid for VIP and I felt it was well worth it. Food was just ok but enjoyed the whole experience. I thought we HAD to do a luau because it was our “once in a lifetime “ trip to Hawaii. Five years later we were back LOL and I still wanted to (drop serious post-Covid cash to) do another one! I guess you either love them or not.

We also enjoyed several budget-friendly meals from the ABC markets on both Oahu and Maui.

Thank you everyone, I've been remiss in my planning. Sounds like I have a TON of dining from which to choose and only 5 days to eat it all. Aulani's luau is not available for either type of seating online; guess I could call - who knew it fills up this early; should've known better, a lot like WDW. For other ones sounds like I have to pick between Germaine's, Paradise Cove and Toa. And then explore Marriott and Four Seasons options, as well as what's across the street. Toa is enticing because of the included time at the falls/gardens but that means rental car - UGH.

What about Fia Fia at Marriott? Worthy Luau alternative?

Last edited:
I've heard good reviews of the Paradise Cove luau, that it's nice and the convenience to Aulani makes it worth it.

Without knowing anything else about your trip, I suggest you rent a car for the whole day so you can see other locations around the island and end the day with the Toa Luau. There are lots of free locations around the island worth seeing.

For other meals, the Foodland Kapolei delivers to Aulani, and they have a large menu in addition to normal groceries.

Thank you everyone, I've been remiss in my planning. Sounds like I have a TON of dining from which to choose and only 5 days to eat it all. Aulani's luau is not available for either type of seating online; guess I could call - who knew it fills up this early; should've known better, a lot like WDW. For other ones sounds like I have to pick between Germaine's, Paradise Cove and Toa. And then explore Marriott and Four Seasons options, as well as what's across the street. Toa is enticing because of the included time at the falls/gardens but that means rental car - UGH.

What about Fia Fia at Marriott? Worthy Luau alternative?
As pp Jimmymc says,,,,rent the car for the day and explore. There is a rental right at the resort. Total will still be less than going to any of the close Luau. And bonus you get to experience part of the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter