Newbie Ready for our MAW Trip!

Hioctanechic

Colby's MAW Trip
(but a little overwhelmed)

First post (ever) so please forgive any abbreviations not used, lingo not understood, and any other misnomers!

We just received our packet with flights and instructions last night at our Make A Wish Party! I suppose I had really expected more information in there. I'm truly having to learn the art of "flow". I'm a planner and a little obsessive about having everything perfectly planned out. I can appreciate MAW attempting to make it all easier on us by handling all of it, but the not knowing drives me BoNkErS! :inhale: :BiG exhale:

Anywho, 17 days until our trip. I worry that I have read too many threads, blogs, and pinterest pins! I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info and tips. All I can hope is that we are halfway prepared and that my kiddos all get to relax and have a good time.

Thinking of which, we have three kids...Wish kid is Colby, age 12, then brother, Kevin, age 11, and baby girl, Katie, age 9. I may have to force the 12yo to loosen up and act like a kid, but maybe that's why he chose this wish...an excuse to act his age. He was diagnosed at 5wks old with Cystic Fibrosis. He's our warrior! A tenacious, hard-headed, eternally brave boy that acts like he's 30! (Seriously. Coffee and Headline News every morning)

O.M.G. 17 DAYS UNTIL OUR TRIP!

I have an itinerary for our week. Three suitcases (of 5) are packed. Packing list is typed. Kids have watched TSA videos and GKTW videos. Again, overwhelmed. o_O

So, here's the overall outline:

Day 1: Travel Day
Arrival in Orlando @ 2:35PM
Relax and settle in at GKTW and attend orientation (sounds easy enough, right?)

Day 2: EPCOT

Day 3: Magic Kingdom

Day 4: Animal Kingdom in the AM, Disney Studios after lunch. (only a few things at AK that interest the kids.

Day 5: Universal Studios in the AM, Islands of Adventure after lunch(ish).

Day 6: Enjoy GKTW, maybe hit a water park, Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique appointment booked for 6pm.

Day 7: Head for airport by 9am.

So, who's starting the betting pot on whether we follow this outline or not? It's quite possible it all goes flying out the window as soon as we step off that plane. Until then, I'll stress the mess and continue counting days, hours, and minutes!

Blue%20Angels_zps1ymbgrvh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Colby, Katie, and Kevin

First post (ever) so please forgive any abbreviations not used, lingo not understood, and any other misnomers!

This is funny, since I have no idea what TSA and GKTW are! I guess you know more about the lingo than I :)

I have a friend who had similar stress due to going with a school band. He KNEW he could book and plan better than the travel agent the school hired.

Hope you have a fantastic trip! There is plenty for a 12-year-old to do, whether he's acting 5, 12, or 30!

Do you have FastPasses and dinner reservations?

Welcome! I'm glad you are able to experience WDW. I agree, it can be very overwhelming, even for those of us that have visited several times. It sounds like the overall plan is already there, I would just take it one day at a time. I've found that for my family, it is good to have a plan, but also good to be flexible and just kinda let the kids and the flow of the day dictate what we wind up doing. I like the pic of your kids with the Blue Angels. What airshow was that at, if you don't mind me asking?

This is funny, since I have no idea what TSA and GKTW are! I guess you know more about the lingo than I :)

I have a friend who had similar stress due to going with a school band. He KNEW he could book and plan better than the travel agent the school hired.

Hope you have a fantastic trip! There is plenty for a 12-year-old to do, whether he's acting 5, 12, or 30!

Do you have FastPasses and dinner reservations?

No fastpasses. I think the "Wishes Button" acts as such from what I've been reading on here. If anyone can clarify that, I'd be eternally grateful. We don't even have actual park tickets, yet. Just an explanation of what we will receive when we arrive at GKTW (3 day park hopper passes for Disney, 2 day park hoppers for both Universal parks, and SeaWorld).

The only reservation I've made is for Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique. Food is free at the resort, so I don't really feel the need to pay out the yazoo for a character meal. Sounds like a lot of trouble for kids too old to really appreciate it. (Maybe I waited too long to take them to WDW. lol)

Welcome! I'm glad you are able to experience WDW. I agree, it can be very overwhelming, even for those of us that have visited several times. It sounds like the overall plan is already there, I would just take it one day at a time. I've found that for my family, it is good to have a plan, but also good to be flexible and just kinda let the kids and the flow of the day dictate what we wind up doing. I like the pic of your kids with the Blue Angels. What airshow was that at, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I'm gonna have to just release my OCD and go with it, I think! Haha!

The airshow we attended was this past weekend in Tuscaloosa, AL. MAW invited us to a private practice...truly spectacular!

Okay, so we have TWO days left! Time is flying! The suitcases have been in process for about 28 days now. I'm really hoping that I don't forget anything since I've been packing for a month in anticipation! I have an excel spreadsheet with all our clothing and such to pack and check off. So, maybe that will help. WDWprepschool is to thank for that. It wasn't a spreadsheet, but it helped jumpstart mine (and include things that I hadn't considered before).

I wanted to share the luggage tags I made. I found ones on Etsy that were stitched, but couldn't commit to paying $8 each for them. I have a cricut, so I just went for it! I'm in love with them. They could be a little smaller (they are 6" across), but I made them work.

Y'all don't go blowing up my phone, now.

Those tags are so cute! What cartridge did you use? My daughter was granted a wish and we are going to WDW from May 12-18. You have about what we are ding except instead of Epcot since my daughter is 3, we are going to SeaWorld!

Those tags are so cute! What cartridge did you use? My daughter was granted a wish and we are going to WDW from May 12-18. You have about what we are ding except instead of Epcot since my daughter is 3, we are going to SeaWorld!

I have the Explore, so no cartridges. I built each piece myself to create them. I find joy in what some may think tedious.

Congratulations! I hope to find your TR on here!

Yeah haven't even started a pre-trip report because to much going on before we leave plus trying to make sure we have everything on order for the trip! Big planner here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter