Newbie questions - hoping for some help.

bas71873

DIS Veteran
Would like to treat hubby to an Italy vaca for our 10th anniversary (not until April 2011):

1. How do I know which "tour dates" are adults only. I would really like it to be an adult only thing (otherwise I think I would spend the whole time missing my own kid if others had families there princess: )

2. Are the adventures by Disney really "disney-fied"? DH is not as "in" to Disney as DD and I are, but never having traveled abroad and not really knowing where to start, seems obvious to go with Disney since they have done the legwork, tours, transfers, etc. are all arranged and Disney puts on a good gig when it comes to travel. But, I'm not sure an anniversary trip that involved all disney all the time would be his cup of tea if that makes sense.

Any advice, tips, suggestions?

We have only been on one disney trip and whilst we are regular visitors of Disney world with our young son we are not disneyites!!!
What we are are two mature parents, who are well travelled and love adventure travel and quality. In the past we have done this alone and no longer wished to take those risks when travelling with a small child.
Disney Adventures is about exploring with a little luxury and no hassel - there was only the daily pin which is your disney reminder but apart from that there really was no disney magic except for the most important one - their attention to detail.

I won't tell you there were not disneyites on the trip - there were, but who says we all have to be the same!! But to be honest there was so much else about the trip to discuss that Disney land and world hardly came up.

We have booked for 2009 and are really looking forward to it.

Hope this helps

We have only been on one disney trip and whilst we are regular visitors of Disney world with our young son we are not disneyites!!!
What we are are two mature parents, who are well travelled and love adventure travel and quality. In the past we have done this alone and no longer wished to take those risks when travelling with a small child.
Disney Adventures is about exploring with a little luxury and no hassel - there was only the daily pin which is your disney reminder but apart from that there really was no disney magic except for the most important one - their attention to detail.

I won't tell you there were not disneyites on the trip - there were, but who says we all have to be the same!! But to be honest there was so much else about the trip to discuss that Disney land and world hardly came up.

We have booked for 2009 and are really looking forward to it.

Hope this helps

That helps a lot. Thanks. That's exactly my thought too - the attention to detail that Disney offers. Just didn't want DH to be reminded that he's on a Disney vaca at every turn :).....WDW is no vaca for him, poor thing, because he goes along with DD and I and our commando style, so I was trying to find a nice trip for just us to take. He mentioned Italy at one point, but I didn't want the hassle (and the worry) of having to "plan" by myself and then worry about where we would end up ;). Thank you again for the reply.

I am also looking at Italy in April, 2011 for our 15th! Your DH sounds very similar to mine, not a Disney nut like some, and would much rather some one else handle the details. I know it is several years away, but I need that much time to convince him! My son and I are doing the Galapagos Adventure in July, 2009, and I hope that once we come back from that, and fill DH in on on the fun, he will be ready to try ABD himself!

Dahly

I confess, I'm a Disney-ite. We did the adults only London/Paris this year. I think the only Disney related part was the daily pins received. Otherwise, it was a pretty mature and luxurious vacation. There were 40 in our tour and except for me, there was only one other person that was a Disney-ite. Only 8 of us opted to go to Disneyland Paris after the AbD tour (which I could not imagine skipping since we were already THERE). Disney was not even discussed when we chatted with others. At the same time we were in London/Paris, my best friend and her husband did the adults only Italy and they've never even been to WDW; they both loved the tour and said they would go on another Disney tour.

We have traveled in Europe on our own (did Italy and Switzerland a few years ago) and were very nervous about doing a tour but we really enjoyed the AbD. There was plenty of free time to do our own thing and I was surprised by the flexibility for a group tour (I'm not a "joiner"). We had so much fun we are doing another adult only this year, going to Costa Rica.

I agree with pipch. While I am a huge fan of Disney, I'm no Disneyphile. ABD trips are about Disney attention to detail and Disney quality, but are not "Disneyfied". Daily pins, a Disney movie on the long bus day, that was about it.

As for Adults only, once the schedule comes out, they usually mark the Adults Only dates on the website with an asterisk * by the date. In the catalog, it's an (A). The other thing is, if you look at a particular date, and the Child price is listed as N/A, then it's Adults Only. From what I hear, the Adults Only trips do sell out fairly quickly.

If you're looking for a quality, low-fuss trip, ABD is the way to go. Their Viva Italia Italy trip is one of their most popular itineraries.

Sayhello

Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep my eyes open for the 2011 dates and start saving my pennies :)

I confess, I'm a Disney-ite. We did the adults only London/Paris this year. I think the only Disney related part was the daily pins received. Otherwise, it was a pretty mature and luxurious vacation. There were 40 in our tour and except for me, there was only one other person that was a Disney-ite.

Our trip was very different. We were 31 people, and absolutely everyone was a Disney fanatic of some stripe. Most were DVC owners, many had already been on another AbD, and all were regular visitors to the parks. However, it wasn't what we talked about for very long. Think of it as a conversation starter, a common interest that led to getting to know more about people.

We did the adults-only Southwest Splendors. My partner sounds exactly like the original poster's husband: he tolerates (barely) the wonderful world of Disney, which around our house also means he tolerates a lot! But as others have said, you're not going to encounter Goofy at breakfast or Stitch going to the Vatican Museum with you.

I call our trip "best vacation...ever," and the people were a big part of that.

We did the Viva Italia trip in September, it was an adults only trip. I think on the adults only trip we may have had a bit more wine than on the family trips....lol. It was absolutely the best vacation we ever had. Don't be put off by the Disney name. As someone said earlier on this board, it is all about the Disney attention to detail. There is nothing that you could want that they can't handle, most of the time before you ever realize you want it.

OK. Now I'm not so sure I will be able to stand to have to wait until 2011 to do this :(............

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter