newbie question about camping at fw

AR81

DIS Veteran
Not only are we newbies to camping at fw but we are basically newbies to camping in an rv period. My parents just out of the blue bought a motorhome a couple of months ago and since we have taken a couple of small trips to the river and beach. We live in Texas. So now we are really considering disney fort wilderness for next summer. My main question is can you fit the motorhome as well as another suburban/truck in one campsite pad? Besides the pad is there at least one additional parking spot for a vehicle? Our main reason to bring the vehicle is for transportation. The bus system sounds like it can be a hassle and besides the mk we would probably just prefer to drive to the rest of the parks and we might do a couple of things outside of disney. So those of yall that drive your motorhome to disney, do you also bring another vehicle? There will be probably 7-8 of us on the trip. Hope this isn't that stupid of a question... lol

I will try to answer your question. How long is the RV? What kind of campsite will you be reserving?

Premium campsites have enough room for the largest RV motorhomes and a passenger vehicle (I have seen million dollar motorhomes towing small cars).

Preferred campsites have less room, but can handle moderate class A, class B, class C, large travel trailers and their tow vehicle, and pop-up's and another vehicle.

There is an overflow parking lot at the check-in office.

I am not sure how it works if you are not pulling the suv with the RV. I know we were able to park our car at camp spot with no problem. FW has the some of the best RV and Tent camping spots I have ever used. If you can not park the SUV at spot FW rents golf carts for use getting back and forth to meadows, pool, and bus stop. Have you given thought to bringing bikes. We each had our bike and used that to get around park. Make sure you bring a few bike chains and locks if you do not all go to same area and are taking bikes.

FW is my favorite park :). IMO it even beats Boardwalk area when you have little kids-- or a bunch of kids :). There are so many activities for kids -- ok adults to. The one we did most was the evening sing along and movie. They provide fire for making s'mores. I think they supply the sticks to. You can also buy small packages of the items needed from the chuck wagon in case you forget or run out.

Have a good time. You will love FW, but then again I think RVing is the fun part and you get to sleep in your won bed every night :).

Since its my dads I am not sure on the exact length and he just bought it a couple of months ago. The whole family will be going. But it is definitely not a custom or huge one. I think he told me it was 30 ft maybe 28? We were looking at the campsite rates and more than likely will reserve the premium just for the full hookup and more room. But my brother will more than likely be following us driving his tahoe. So trying to figure out if there would be enough room for the motorhome plus his tahoe?

And we definitely know we cant just drive around the campground to get to the pool, restaurant, etc.. We will probably rent a golf cart for that. But wanted to be able to drive to epcot, hollywood studios, etc.. without having to take the buses...

That's interesting about the overflow parking lot? How does that work? So if we couldn't fit the tahoe in our spot we could park it there? So we would just either catch a bus close to that lot or drive the golf cart and drive from there if we wanted to?

You won't have any trouble fitting a Tahoe in a Preferred or Premium spot along with the mothorhome. We can fit a 40' motorhome and our truck(Silverado), which we tow, in a premium. Your family will have a blast at Ft. Wilderness and the bus system is not as bad as you think. We always take a large family group and the buses allow us all to come and go as we please. ( We don't always want to do everything together.) But, even if you drive to one of the parks and part of your group wants to leave early, they can take the bus or boat back to the campground.

We have about 50 ft between TT and truck and have always gotten onto our site. there were a couple times the truck was parked sideways but it worked. If you rent a golf cart it is nice to park the truck in overflow lot. Leaves the site open and allows more room.

All campsites are FULL hook up except Loops 2000 and 1500. Preferred is a bit smaller Loops 100, 200 and 300-most have tent pads.
The tent pads still exist in 1600, 1700, 1800 and 1900. Premium do not have tent pads.

Premium site still have a sand pad just not as big. We had our 35ft TT and 2 tents in the sand part of our Premium site last trip

We're about 60 feet long with the car hauler. Were in loop 700 in May and barely had room on the site ... no way for the car to fit. Couldn't extend our awning all the way b/c of a tree in the way. Trailer was past the pad several feet into the natural area.

Not only are we newbies to camping at fw but we are basically newbies to camping in an rv period. My parents just out of the blue bought a motorhome a couple of months ago and since we have taken a couple of small trips to the river and beach. We live in Texas. So now we are really considering disney fort wilderness for next summer. My main question is can you fit the motorhome as well as another suburban/truck in one campsite pad? Besides the pad is there at least one additional parking spot for a vehicle? Our main reason to bring the vehicle is for transportation. The bus system sounds like it can be a hassle and besides the mk we would probably just prefer to drive to the rest of the parks and we might do a couple of things outside of disney. So those of yall that drive your motorhome to disney, do you also bring another vehicle? There will be probably 7-8 of us on the trip. Hope this isn't that stupid of a question... lol

We were on an outside premium site on loop 800 for our last FW trip. We tow a 32 foot 5th wheel with an F250 Super Duty truck. We fit the RV on the site with the truck parked directly in front of it. We would have had plenty of room to put a tent behind our RV. Our friends were on a premium site next to us with their 40 foot motor home and would have had room to put their Chevy 1500 pick up if they had brought it.

The premium sites have a double wide pad. I should think you would fit on one of those with no problems.

Thank you all for the information/responses! We are still trying to make final decisions about dates and such but sounds like we are definitely going to give the fort a try! Thanks again.

We had a premium site last May and with a 35ft MH and Jeep Commander there was plenty of room. But I found that they put the hookups more to the middle so backing the coach all the way in you best have cable and most important (as I didn't have one) a sewer hose extention. My sewer hose connection is just in front of the rear wheel and after the jacks were down , slides were out, the sewer hose didn't reach and I had to pull forward. So make sure your parents have at least 25 ft of hose. Here is a pic of premuim site 1116.
IMG_0519-1.jpg

Glad I found this thread, we just bought an RV yesterday and already have a trip booked for next June. I booked a premium because DH is considering bringing the tent too which is a monster itself. But I can't tell from the pictures if a 29 ft RV and a 20 x10 tent is to much even for a premium.
I'm not sure if we are towing my car, I doubt it because once we are onsite, we typically stick with WDW transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter