newbie pop up owner needs help!!

Whosemom

DIS Veteran
During the windy snow storm last week, we got snow blown in through a very small crevice. I don't want to end up with a stinky camper, any ideas? The forcast is horrible as far as popping it up.
I'll be so sad if it gets all musty before we ever get a chance to take it out. We're planning Lake Erie in June and FW in December - I can't wait!!

Micki

try some damp rid - or pehaps put a bucket of charcoal in the camper to absord the moisture...

I second with CamperStem.

clean out the snow as best as possible and put a small bucket of DampRid in there. We keep one in all year round. Our pop up is 3 years old and still has that "new" smell. (we live in Philly, so we certainly run into all extremes with weather.) The DampRid helps absorb the moisture caused by humidity in the summer as well.

- lori

We had one day that was warm enough for the snow that was in there to melt, but sleet scheduled for that night, so I didn't pop it up to clean it out. so, I guess it probably melted into the cushions. :( I put the damp-rid in. Could you just hold my hand and tell me everythings going ot be ok? Its very odd that tomorrow is March and we are still cold and under snow here! I plan to pop her up and air her out if I ever get a chance!!
You all are great
thanks! Micki

don't feel bad, we are still well under snow here too. (in the Philly area.)

How much snow got in there? It seems odd that it did at all. These things when locked down are pretty tighly closed. (Not impossible, mind you, just odd.)

It is wasn't much and just a very small bit of moisture made it's way into the cushions then you should be fine.

If it was a bunch and the cushions are wet to the touch, i would make a effort on the next clear day (not necessarity warm, but clear) try to get them out. (you may not have to crank the top up much to do this or even at all. I know that i can open the little door on our pop up and get our cushions out. All models are different though.) I would take them out and bring them in the house to dry. (most have fabric covers over a thick foam pad.) If really soaked, remove the cover and tumble dry gently or line dry in the house. Let the foam pads air dry someplace out of the way as they may take a while.

We got caught in a heck of a rain storm last year and we were not at our site. We had the "windows" unzipped a bit and took on plenty of water on those cushions. We did the above and were no worse for the wear. (and we learned our lession about leaving the camper unzipped and walking away from it!!!!:rolleyes: )

Good Luck

- lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter