Newbie here...Questions about trading timeshare weeks

mom2aiden

Mouseketeer
My parents are close to retirement and just told me last week that they want to take my sister, myself, DH and our kids to WDW in 2008!! They own a timeshare in Las Vegas and are able to trade weeks (I think that's the terminology) to get time at a DVC resort:cool1:

So, our question is, if their "home resort" is a 1 bedroom, can they upgrade at Disney for a 2 or 3 bedroom (there will be 8 of us)? How do they upgrade, is it extra cash or extra "points"? We're new to this whole thing so any help you can provide is so appreciated.

Would we get all the same perks as a DVC member?:confused:

Thanks for your help!!

Hmm ... I respectfully suggest that exchange you are seeking may be difficult. Even though many "Interval International" (II) affiliated timeshares show the DVC resorts in their wish book -- not many are actually able to make the exchange.

If your parents timeshare is sufficiently rated to pull a DVC exchange -- there are very few DVC 2BR units available through II and no 3BR units. As far as I know -- you cannot upgrade an exchange from 1BR to 2BR. If you are offered a 2BR in exchange for the home resort's 1BR deposit you may accept it -- but there are no upgrade paths defined once the exchange is booked.

However -- there are many very nice properties available near WDW offered through II as either exchange or Getaway Weeks (rentals). You may want to explore these as options.

DVC Perks: If you are successful in making the exchange into DVC there will be an additional $95 fee payable to Disney covering your transportation (resort<->parks), access to booking dining reservations, and a few other features. The fee also currently covers Magical Express (airport to resort transportation) but this service may or may not be offered at the time of your travel. You will not be eligible for DVC owner [perks] addressing dining discounts, valet parking, annual pass discounts, etc.

Process from here: Phone II, open the request for all DVC resorts in Orlando (dbw,bcv,dvo,dss,dwl), ask for the largest unit they'll allow based on the deposit and hope for the best. While this is working, begin exploring other II resorts as alternatives via exchange or rental (Getaway weeks).

Best wishes!

Thanks bwvBound for your response. My mom was going to call today so I'll have to see what she finds out. Doesn't sound too promising though! We'll definately check out the other resorts.

One more question...if we do get lucky and are able to trade, would we be able to take part in the dining plan?

Most trades for Disney are trading a non-Disney 2-b/r for a 1-b/r at Disney. I'm not saying it's impossible, but trading a 1-b/r for a 2-b/r Disney is extremely unlikely.

Non DVC timeshares often trade a 1-B/R for a Studio at Disney.

Dean may come on with some actual numbers, but I think the number of requests for trades INTO Disney from other timeshares, that actually succeed, is very low. Perhaps as low as only 1 out of 10, or even less.

As mentioned, if their Vegas timeshare is high end, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt for example, it has more trading power and your chances of getting a trade of any kind are better than average. If it's not a high end trade, then your chances of getting anything decreases significantly.

It really depends on when you want to go. Assuming their timeshare is a 1 BR Interval Intl. resort they cannot request a unit larger than they give up but if they see it online, they can reserve it. Few 2 BR units make it to the online listed but are rather secured by ongoing searches, which would require a 2 BR in this case. The same is not necessarily true if their resort is RCI but DVC does not participate with RCI. I am assuming that there are no more than 3 kids involved. The chance of success otherwise depends on your willingness to get up every morning early and look online to grab what's there plus the exact time of year.

DVC doesn't deposit many summer weeks from mid June to mid August so that would further complicate this scenario for many and they essentially don't deposit 3 BR units. If you let me know the time of year I might be able to offer a little more info. I'd say either try to get an off site larger unit by looking online and doing instant matches OR try to get two exchanges for the same dates in a 1 BR would be your best bet. There are a number of resorts in the area at least as nice as the DVC resorts, it's just that they are not on property and you will need a car where you could get by without one otherwise.

An alternative might be to rent something either on or off property. Even rent a studio for the exact dates of a 1 BR exchange and ask they be put together might be an option with OKW being the best place to do this for the group in question.

If I had a dime for every member who called wanting a DVC resort.......:upsidedow

I sincerely do with you the best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter