New York or Orlando?? Heck, let`s do both.....12 nights NYC & Sapphire Falls...July 18 Trip Report

I’m caught up now, looks like a very nice travel day, your hotel in NYC is beautiful. I love the views. It is nice not to have a plan for everything especially since you have been quite a few times now.

Central Park is lovely.

Oh my, I'm late to the party! That's what happens when one works at the funny farm.....:rolleyes1 (don't tell the Doctors I work for that i said that:rotfl:)

So far, another great report...may I just say that I hope in my next life to come back as Carole or Tom? Such wonderful adventures, one can always dream.
(I hate green beans too, by the way.)

Last edited:
Hi Carole,

I am saving my spot, wow 6 pages in when I found this, so excited to start reading!

:welcome: Caroline...……...so happy you made it over for this one too...……

Always a spot for you anytime...…..hope you enjoy it...…...:wave2:

I love reading all of your reports. Thanks to the glowing prior reviews we are heading to Saphire Falls for Halloween Horror Nights. We grew up outside NYC and I enjoy seeing it through other people's eyes. I look forward to the rest of your trip.

A very warm :welcome: to you too EvilVillainess……...great name too!!!

Thank you so much...…...Oh I`m so happy to hear you`re going to Sapphire...…..it is beautiful...….we have actually decided to spend our last 4 nights on our Sept/Oct trip over there...…..we do love it there.

Living so close to NYC must have been amazing growing up...…..do you still live that close or have you moved away now...…..amazing place!!

Hope you enjoy the rest of it and thank you for the lovely comment, I do appreciate it and nice to have you along...…...:wave2:

Davy and I are sitting on the couch after a fun long day and I'm reading bits of this to him and we're fondly remembering our time in NYC in May/June. :) So, some thoughts... first, I hope it wasn't my recommendation that sent you to Brooklyn Diner. I did like it but we had dinner there -- so maybe different? It did feel a little.. hmmm.. maybe touristy? I'm not sure. I did like the food though.

Anyway...

So, a few years ago when Jason came with Davy and me, every single time we tried to talk to Davy he'd say, "WHAT?!" Not sure if he wasn't paying attention or just couldn't hear. So, we're in the middle of noisy Times Square -- we see the naked painted lady. I whisper to Jason, "let's try to go around so Davy's first view of a naked lady isn't this." Of course, THIS TIME, he hears me and says loudly, "SHE IS NAKED? WHY WOULD SHE BE OUT LIKE THAT?!?" LOL. I just asked Davy and he remembers none of this.

I think this is the Christmas store very near our hotel from last time. I was disappointed as well!

This just made me giggle. Love Tom!

I read Davy this one... today, Davy and a friend of mine and I did an escape room. Davy has always had a problem with getting frustrated easily, but he's so much better about it and calmed down almost instantly. That's his biggest problem -- and I feel so lucky! Because on trips, he's a joy to travel with. And, I always listen to him when he says, "ok, I need to rest now." You just can't push kids -- no fun for anyone! And, I am so so so lucky that my boy has never whined. He's a pretty good walker, really. We usually "train" for trips though. We walk a lot and now we're biking a lot because we had such fun biking around Central Park -- going to take him on some more biking tours in the upcoming months!

Well, love the report so far. I am sad you didn't get to see your aunt. But, happy you guys had such a great time otherwise!

Oh no Alice, it wasn't you who recommended it...…..lol......no it was a friend who had gone a couple of months back...….yes, I agree the food was good, but can`t quite put my finger on why I wouldn't go back...……

Yes those naked ladies are a sight to behold!!!! I can imagine a boy that age being a bit bemused as to why a lady would be out with "no" clothes on......lol.....actually we didn't see the Naked Cowboy this time...although we didn't really look if I`m honest.....but at least he pretended to have a talent with his guitar......he certainly didn't have many other talents :rotfl:

It would be the same one Alice...….it just looked like tat with a very high price tag...….I don't mind paying a high price tag, but at least let it be worth it...….

Tom wasn't funny at the time...…..:rotfl:I never made that mistake again...……..lol...….funny thing is I never hear him curse......ever!!!! Of course we haven't worked together in almost 24 years...…..::yes::

Your boy sounds a dream!!! He really does like a pleasure to travel with...….it makes trips so easy doesn't it....and yes, you`ve got to listen to them when they`re done...….Kyle was always easy to travel with too. Would walk forever and never complain.....

Well done on keeping up the bike tours......you are so fit and healthy!!!!!!

Thanks......yes it was a little sad at the time...….but she is doing better.....and we did have a fabulous time.

I`m so glad you are enjoying reading along...…..nice to hear......:hug:

Last edited:
I’m caught up now, looks like a very nice travel day, your hotel in NYC is beautiful. I love the views. It is nice not to have a plan for everything especially since you have been quite a few times now.

Central Park is lovely.

You did well!!!!!

Yes, we just don`t plan...….we have a painful lack of plans according to friends who like to plan...….:rotfl: But, it suits us...…

The hotel is lovely, we really enjoyed our time there...….and the views we loved.....me from a slight distance of course...….::yes::

Oh my, I'm late to the party! That's what happens when one works at the funny farm.....:rolleyes1 (don't tell the Doctors I work for that i said that:rotfl:)

So far, another great report...may I just say that I hope in my next life to come back as Carole or Tom? Such wonderful adventures, one can always dream.
(I hate green beans too, by the way.)

:welcome: back Tink2Day...…..doesn't matter you`re a little later...….always welcome...…..

There are a few names for Doctors offices......never heard that one before!!! We have to joke sometimes.....

Glad you are enjoying it though...….and another green bean hater...….:thumbsup2 What is the point of them!!! Tasteless strings of green...….::yes::

Thank you so much, glad you are enjoying this one too...…..more coming up soon...…..:wave2:

SATURDAY CONTINUED...……

Walking out of the park towards The Plaza was lovely.....but as soon as we were out of the shade of the trees, the real NYC heat hit......wow!!! Had I forgotten just how hot it can get...….but the sunshine was bliss. Even so, we crossed the road as soon as possible, avoiding the permanent sales tacks of the guys who operate the horse and carts. yes, very pretty but jeez they look uncomfortable. We found out another day that if it goes above 90F they have to take the horses away as it`s deemed too hot for them to work. It`s not the nicest thing to see them stood there like that.

But, we managed to cross the road and wo of course had our usual picture opportunity outside the classic hotel...….well, I did.

Although I love The Plaza, if I`m going to eat in their real restaurants, even for lunch, I`d feel more comfortable being a little more dressed...….of course some folks don't think like that, but for me I wouldn't go in with what I was wearing today...…..so we were going down the Food Court which we really enjoyed last year...…..and of course where we could enjoy a little early glass or two of champagne...…..or even prosecco would do...…..::yes::

i-Pkh8ZL5-XL.jpg

We went down and it was so cool!!! The aircon was wonderful as we both felt incredibly hot today...….we first bought a large bottle of water and drank that between us before we had anything to drink.....we are so aware of not wanting to get dehydrated...…...then we went round to our "usual" place.....I say usual, because if we do something once, it becomes the usual......creatures of habit.

I went and sat down while Tom went to the counter...….I saw him look a little funny, but never thought anything of it...….he came back and said they had stopped taking cash and would accept only credit cards. He wasn't keen on using it but she had already poured the drinks…..there was a tiny little sign up in a corner...….so he thought he`d just make sure to check the card online to make sure no fraudulent activity...….bit it was fine.

I took my first sip and said to Tom it was flat. And it was. It looked bubbly, but they use a device or gadget on the bottle on the pretext of keeping it fresh and sparkling, it doesn`t really work beyond a couple of hours, anything after that it will go slightly flat. so we took them back up and she wasn't very happy to have to open a fresh bottle...….but she did. And I have to say at the cost with the cc exchange rate I was darn straight not going to pay $45 for two glasses....tiny ones at that......and it be flat!!!

But, it was nice when we got the fresh stuff as we watched her open a fresh bottle. I`m sure she would still try and sell the other stuff to someone else who maybe wasn't as concerned with quality...…...but this would be our last time at this little place. Although she must have felt guilty as she did come top us up at no extra cost...….that was nice.

i-82Kn38S-XL.jpg

We had a quick bathroom visit, and then had a walk around to decide what we wanted for lunch...…..there are plenty of places to choose from but we decided to go back to the little sushi area they have. We enjoyed it last time and figured we would enjoy it again...….
although we hadn't found a sushi that beat Orchids in RP yet......but it was nice...….

It was four young men who worked there, and as soon as we sat down they smiled and were very friendly...….they asked if we needed any help with choosing and we said no, we just needed a few minutes to choose.....but we would have two glasses of prosecco...….they came in little individual bottles.....so quite fresh although not the best quality....but we enjoyed them.

i-kXhgwws-XL.jpg

We didn't want to eat too much right now as we had dinner plans for later, but something would do......so we chose the salmon with jalapeno as a little appetizer while we waited for the other two choices we had made.

i-jkrfr86-XL.jpg

It was so light......and very tasty!!! It`s hard to imagine how little slivers of raw salmon can taste so nice......but it was. And having an odd number of pieces is not a good thing with us :laughing:...…..especially having no knife to split it with.....lol...….but we managed it......I took a bite of the last one and somehow managed to eat the full slice of jalapeno......oops!!!!! And Tom got the other maybe slightly smaller piece...….oops again...…..:rolleyes1

We decided to share Shrimp tempura roll and a Rainbow roll...….both were spicy on their own...…..with the added wasabi they were a delight!!!! And I get all the pickled ginger again as Tom doesn't like it...…….I however love it...….anything ginger and I`m there!!!

i-99h6dN8-XL.jpg

They were fresh and tasty, we could see how fresh they were as we watched them being made as we sat...…...and we did enjoy them a lot. We too our time a little now as it was lovely being here......it was busy, but not so busy it felt cramped.

i-XD8Q95K-XL.jpg

We came back out into the brightest sunshine......of course being underground there are no windows, so no natural light......I needed my sunglasses on straight away...…..we love to have a peek in to the private entrance as you exit the food hall at the top of the elevator...…..for folks that live their permanently it must be lovely having your own entrance away from the tourists and such...….and I like seeing where Cary Grant entered the hotel in North by Northwest...…yep, I love old movies and Hitchcock made some of the best around!!

i-KPq87C6-XL.jpg

We didn't take a lot of pictures and we did pop into Tiffany......didn't buy anything this time...….but we did go up the second floor and we saw Tony who did indeed remember us...….he immediately asked if we made it to Orlando okay in September....he had remembered our delay.....we said yep, we had......he immediately spotted the two new rings on my wedding finger...….in case you hadn't read the September trip report from last year, he had sold us the ring Tom bought me as a surprise for my 50th birthday, but he recognized the other two straight away...…...those were purchased in Orlando as another surprise for my 25th wedding anniversary when we went down there...…...some nice big surprises that trip!!!

We chatted and he offered to take them all to be cleaned, so I took them off and we had a good chat while we waited. He did ask if we wanted some champagne, a token normally offered if you were spending some money......we had enjoyed it last year, but we thanked him but declined as we genuinely weren't buying anything today. But we did appreciate the offer. We did however take some bottled water...…..he is a nice young man and I would happily buy from him again. Although we also like the guy in Orlando Tiffany too...…..the thing is I don't really wear a lot of jewellery…...what I wear I tend to stick to them so I`m running out of things I really want. But, I do love the rings he bought me last year along with the bracelet...…...I was very happy with them and they are very special.

My stuff came back and we put it on and said our goodbyes and thanked him again...…..

We began to walk back down towards the hotel.....and immediately we pass Trump Tower. We had gone in last year but today we just admired the huge armoury that is his protection outside and walked past...….those are some scary weapons!!!! We looked in a few windows but really we just wanted to be back in the hotel cooling down at this point. And from this point in 5th Ave, we were only less than 10 minutes away. We usually hit St Patrick`s Cathedral and turned left...……

Today as we turned up we noticed a huge street market which must have covered 5 or 6 blocks.....white canvas tents were set up along the streets selling all sorts of produce and products...….the first thing we noticed was the smell of the food...…...oh my, it was tempting!!!

i-wtwPMTK-XL.jpg

i-QVgBJMq-XL.jpg

i-Wxxxd2T-XL.jpg

It was fun. And no we didn't partake in the advertised Rum Cake...….although we loves the rum ::yes::......I detest the taste of alcohol in cakes and any dessert.....it is a little weird and can`t really understand why.....but will never eat anything like that...…..

Although the aromas gong around were making us wish we hadn't eaten lunch already...…..sizzling chicken, steaks and burgers among other things were very tempting......but we took a pass. We did wander around the full length...….a lot of the stalls were all the same really, but it was nice to see and a little bit different...….I did buy the cheapest bag I ever bought...….it was $15....and probably only worth $2!!!! He was originally asking $40...….I have to say again, it was a very cheap bag......and eventually he agreed on 15 and acted as if I was ripping food out of his kids mouths...….lol......we both knew he was still the one laughing......I had forgotten to bring my park crossover bag....it was still at home......so I was planning to use this when I wasn't using my nice bag.

My one and only purchase made we headed back to the hotel, which was a 5 minute walk from here...…….

Again it was so cool and welcoming heading in to the lobby...….we turned in the Towers doors and grabbed a couple of bottles of water and headed up in the elevator...……

The room was again sparkling when we went in it...….we don't leave a room untidy ever, we don't leave a lot of stuff around but it`s still nice to come in and see the bed all freshly made and lovely fresh towels and products in the rooms.

We sent a message to Kyle to say we had a change of plans and were in the room if he wanted to Skype...….he did indeed and we chatted for around 15 minutes as he was watching football or something.....I forget...…. But it was nice to see him and talk to him.....he was doing ok.....we agreed when we would Skype again and said our goodbyes.....he was laughing as we were yawning our heads off!!!

We then both kicked our shoes off, flopped on the bed and conked out for 2 hours. I did manage to press the button to send the blinds down first.....then I remember nothing till around 2 hours later...…..

We had really needed that...……

Tom put the tv on to discover more Potter movies...….they were having a marathon weekend and showing them in no particular order...….so while we got ready they were on in the background which was nice as we do enjoy those movies......and so many differences between the British version and American......we saw scenes in these ones we hadn't seen before.

We felt good now......all showered, freshened up, changed and even enjoyed a small afternoon nap...….

Heading out we stopped to speak to a member of staff for a few minutes who started a conversation with us...…..this was the only thing I found a little off about the whole place. We mentioned the concierge man we would miss seeing......and why. She automatically thrust her card in our hand and said oh you can give me a mention in Trip Advisor then!!!! She had barely said hello to us...…..I know TA reviews mean a lot to staff, but I found this a little off. I can`t even remember her name as her card went straight in the first trash bin we found.

So, we were off out again into the heat of the city...….the doorman informed us it was just above 90f. Must have been 7pm by now...…..it was hot...….but pleasant....

We walked around Times Square and headed to John`s Pizzeria. It`s on W44th street so wouldn't take long to walk there at all...….we knew it was always busy and there was always a wait...….so we were prepared to not actually eat for a while...…..lunch did seem ages away now I have to say, but I would be glad we hadn't ate much then...…..

The line to the desk was around 10 minutes...….there is a barrier and it tells you in one door and you come out the other...…..you would think that would be simple...…..the amount of people who tried to walk past us to get their name down was incredible...….they were hot to stop it though...….once we got to the podium we asked for a table for two, and were told 45 minutes to an hour and they gave us a number...….the area was busy...….you had to watch a screen and when your number appeared you went back to the podium. Simple.

i-nk9TfGz-XL.jpg

We scrambled our way over to the bar and a couple moved just as we got there......so we managed to get a seat. The barman I didn't find very friendly......but I ordered a chardonnay and Tom had a beer...….no smile or thank you...….but, it was busy I suppose.

We really don't get the hang of these selfies.....folks obviously have more practice than we do...…...the wine was alright though......nothing special.

i-pPx3snv-XL.jpg

We only waited less than 20 minutes before our number flashed up on the screen...…..I did laugh as one buttock was still on the chair as I got to get up, when a woman obviously desperate for a seat was half on before I had fully removed myself :eek:...….I burst out laughing......now, if that had been me, although I would never have done that in the first place though..........I would have at least exclaimed how much I needed a seat and said sorry, but she brazenly never said a word.....lol......but moving we were...….Tom said he was glad I wasn't just shifting around to get comfortable...…...that would have been funny!!!

We went back to the podium and he told us to go to the back stairs and at the top we`d be taken to our table. No worries...….we had never been her before, and it was an impressive building to say the least...…..you would never guess from the front it would be so cavernous inside......it is huge!!!

i-NSKMpCF-XL.jpg

I like our table as we can see over but we are not too close...…..our waiter is obviously rushed off his feet and tells us he`ll be with us soon as he whizzes past for the second time...…..we really are in no rush......we hate to be rushed when out for a meal, so this was fine for us...……

We have a look at the menu and decide to go for a cocktail each...…..Tom chooses a Black and Blue Raz which was absolut raspberry, Cointreau, blue curacao and cranberry juice...….sounded nice......I went for a strawberry daiquiri...…..and they were both lovely......mine was not a very strong pour I have to say, but it was nice enough. Tom`s had a kick!!!

i-3DV7Gz5-XL.jpg

i-bXzvKR4-XL.jpg

We knew we were going to share a pizza......but I liked the sound of the Antipasto salad...…...we would share that too...….it had prosciutto, hot soppressata, roasted red peppers and hot cherry peppers, sun dried tomatoes with mozzarella on salad leaves....

i-DrzsLh4-XL.jpg

It was lovely!! Very fresh and those hot peppers weren't kidding around!!! They were hot I`m glad to say...….this would easily do someone a full meal if they wanted to as it was filling...….but not us...…..:laughing:

We had taken a long time to decide on which pizza we would get...…...eventually we opted for a large traditional and it was large....with grilled chicken, pepperoni and those hot cherry peppers again...…..there were also jalapenos on them......they must have figured we like it hot!!!!!

i-STZ48Sm-XL.jpg

It was large and incredibly fresh...…...the toppings were lovely.....and plentiful...…...it was a very good pizza. I think Tom may have preferred it without the nuclear hot cherry peppers...…..we didn't quite finish it, but there was barely a slice left when we were done...…….

We had enjoyed it a lot...… and we would happily go back again...…...we were full to bursting now......you know when you just want to go lay down on a very comfy sofa!!! That was us right now...…..so we paid the check and went to the rather limited bathrooms...….and left. It was still as busy as earlier in the waiting area.

It was beautiful outside so we decided to walk down to Macy`s...…..it`s not too far a walk......although it did feel incredibly warm......so we walked slowly taking it all in, sights and sounds.....and it was lovely walking in the city at night. It really does feel incredibly safe, of course keeping your wits about you at the same time....but I have never once felt unsafe there.

Macy we like. And I like the NYC one due to it`s sheer size......it is massive!!! However tonight we got there around 9pm and I think it opened till 11pm on a Saturday night...…..so we were in no rush!!!

i-PVjB4fj-XL.jpg

i-g9hqHw4-XL.jpg

i-H58WPWD-XL.jpg

We took some pictures outside before going inside, including the ESB all lit up......and then we were in cool air again!!!

Perusing around the store we actually didn't buy anything...…..I did see some lovely bedding again......but, I had to think of getting it down to Orlando then home...…..maybe not then!!! I tell a lie, I did pick up a couple of scarves to put past for a special time of the year at the end of December......far too early to mention that word yet!!! And a few little household items......that didn't seem so small when packing them!!

I do have to confess too...…..it was so hot......we had planned to walk back up to the hotel, but we grabbed a cab...…..and he was crazy...….I`ve been in what I would have termed death cabs...….this guy thought he was on his own personal race track!!!! But, at least we made it back in one piece......I swore I heard him go wheeeeeeee at one point. Tom says I have an overactive imagination...……:D

I went straight in to the lounge and sat down, Tom dropped our purchases off in the room and came back down...…….Trouble`s Trust is a nice bar...….the guy who runs it has been here 20 years.....we certainly remembered him from last year. He can seem a little stand offish at first, but when you speak to him he soon becomes normal...….and he was very nice to us...….

We order 2 chardonnays and sit back and recount our day...…...it hadn't been the day we had planned, but it had turned out to be one of the most relaxing days we had enjoyed in a while...…….

i-r2N5sBc-XL.jpg

i-nbNjLn2-XL.jpg

i-vKc3w9Q-XL.jpg

We enjoyed our wine and must have sat for an hour or so. Eventually after declining to order another drink we decided it was time for bed......we paid the check and headed past the beautiful and classical lobby stairs...……..

i-jQg5k8v-XL.jpg

Turndown had been much earlier, so the room was again lovely and cosy, and very cool...…..first thing I did was open the blinds and admired that wonderful view again...….and even at around 11pm or just after, The Burberry building temperature was 84f.

Everything looks so pretty with the lights glistening away all over the city...…..I loved this view and could actually sit here all night just watching it slowly and deliberately change to dawn...….I couldn't decide if I preferred the night view or the day view...……

i-5jvRMHF-XL.jpg

i-Xm5GGNW-XL.jpg

i-5GBnD8k-XL.jpg

I soon discovered Harry Potter was on again...…..and that was how we fell asleep...….with the Philosophers Stone on again...….I did wonder with the sleep this afternoon would we be able to get to sleep tonight...…..easily apparently...…….:thumbsup2

Last edited:
I do have to thank @angryduck71 for the recommendation of John`s Pizzeria...…

Seeing her mention it in her trip report made us want to go and it was lovely...…...:thumbsup2

I do have to thank @angryduck71 for the recommendation of John`s Pizzeria...…

Seeing her mention it in her trip report made us want to go and it was lovely...…...:thumbsup2
So glad you liked it! I loved the food -- we went twice -- once at dinner where it was as busy as you had but the salad and pizza were amazing. Second time, went for lunch. No real wait, but the pizza wasn't QUITE as good. Still, it was our favorite place to eat that trip. I am missing NYC! Sigh...

So glad you liked it! I loved the food -- we went twice -- once at dinner where it was as busy as you had but the salad and pizza were amazing. Second time, went for lunch. No real wait, but the pizza wasn't QUITE as good. Still, it was our favorite place to eat that trip. I am missing NYC! Sigh...

Get yourself back there...…...you know you want to ::yes::

If we ever go back we should try and co-ordinate a trip...…..you and Tom could talk SW stuff and Davy and I could talk Charles Dickens......lol...….and of course if you bring your boyfriend.....he could talk to all of us...….:laughing:

Yes, we loved the pizza...….I did read comments on a review site also that said lunch wasn't as good as when they went for dinner...….we certainly noticed that at a few places in Orlando before......

Get yourself back there...…...you know you want to ::yes::

If we ever go back we should try and co-ordinate a trip...…..you and Tom could talk SW stuff and Davy and I could talk Charles Dickens......lol...….and of course if you bring your boyfriend.....he could talk to all of us...….:laughing:

Yes, we loved the pizza...….I did read comments on a review site also that said lunch wasn't as good as when they went for dinner...….we certainly noticed that at a few places in Orlando before......
YES!

Whew! Finally caught up. The photos from your room are stunning. I love the night-time shots the best. Something about NYC at night with all of the twinkling lights. *sigh* Can't wait to read more.

Wow - for a "relaxing day" I can't believe how much you did!

I'm sorry that the champagne bar was a disappointment but both the sushi and the pizza look great (although I'd have had to have gone for a less spicy version of each - no jalapeños for me thank you!).

Great update...love the food porn!

A little off topic but what is your favorite sushi at Orchids? We plan to check it out next month and any drink suggestions are also welcome :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter