New Year's Trip???

poppop

Mouseketeer
We will be going to WDW December30-Jan 2 2003. there will be myself, DW and 20 month old DD. We have reservations at the GF.

We have never been this time of year. Any Tips? Any special events? Is it too cold? Too crowded? what do we have to look forward to?

I have not been at this time of year, but have read here on these boards that the week between x-mas and NY is the very busiest week of the year!:crazy:

New Year's Eve & July 4th are the 2 busiest days of the year for WDW. In fact, these 2 days often find the parks filled to capacity early in the day, from what I have heard. I have yet to experience that, but it seems that my first day working at the parks will likely be July 4th. What timing, eh?

It is quite cold...come prepared to dress in layers, just to be fully prepared. The holiday decorations are absolutely astounding. I love being here over the holiday season. Just make sure to come with patience as you're in for serious crowds.

I went to WDW 1989/1990 and to DL 1999/2000. New Years is VERY VERY VERY Crowded. I have also been there on the Fourth of July which is crowded but I think News Years in worse. By 9pm you will not be able to move. You will need to find a spot to sit and enjoy and maybe takes turns in your party saving that spot. I went with hubby and my parents and we took one hour shifts of resting at the spot we wanted.

It was very fun though and much worth it, just be known that it will be very crowded and if you have children, hold on to them very tight, they can easily be lost. BUT

Most people leave the park right after the new year, so if you are willing to stay up until 3am the park will clear out by 1am and you will have the wee hours to get on lots of rides. Same is true if you get up early and go the day after the big celebration because more people tend to sleep in on Jan. 1.

Any other questions, email me. Id love to help.

Angela

Ive heard the same about BUSY. But my wife and I always talk about doing something for New Years and we always end up falling asleep early watching Dick Clark. This year we're going to WDW!!!!!!! We'll be there from 12-29 to 01-05 i believe. We have a 4 and 2 year-old. We're not sure either, but we're ready to brave it and have another magical vacation at Disney. Good Luck!!!!!
PinCollector

If you're looking for a MAD HOUSE, NYE is the right time to be at WDW! My DW, 5-yr-old DD, 2-yr-old. DS, and I were there last NYE. We spent the day at Animal Kingdom and switched over to Disney-MGM for the evening. By 6PM, the temperature dropped to around 45-50 degrees and MGM was packed! It took us over 1 hour to finally track down a line where CMs were handing out complimentary NYE 2001-2002 top hats and noise makers (but well worth it, though)! Despite both kids running slight fevers the day before, they were both completely against going back to our room to call it a day.

The OFSofL was outstanding! I can't imagine this attraction being better without the immense number of people all around you ooh-ing and aahh-ing. My kids were in awe the entire time. The especially liked the "snow" falling from the sky and the glasses handed out to let you see "angels" coming from all the lights!

There was a stage just outside of the entrace to OFSofL and another stage set up in front of the Sorceror's hat. By 7:30PM, the bands were already in full force and tons of folks dancing in the streets!

Of course, there was the obligatory 60-90 minute wait for Fantasmic! The crowd was phenominal -- the energy was infectious! It was the first time I'd ever seen "the wave" in the Fantasmic amphitheater! After not eating all day, my "sick" DS managed to scarf down an entire 1-ft. hot dog after being inspired by everyone eating all around us pre-show. After Fantasmic!, Sunset Blvd. was packed shoulder-to-shoulder. It literally took us 45 minutes, with no diversions, to make it to the park entrance after the show!

If you choose to make it to 12AM, I wish you the best of luck! We will be back this year (12/30 to 1/5) and staying at the new BCV!!! Personally, if we wind up getting the Epcot-view room we requested in our ressies, there's NO WAY I'll be at the parks on NYE (but I'll sure love the fireworks from our balcony!!). I have NO regrets whatsoever having been there for the experience but been there, done that...

We celebrated NYE 1998/1999 in Disney World. My boyfriends father lives in Orlando so we did not have to worry about hotel reservations.

We spent a day in AK, a day in MK and a day in MGM. We celebrated 12/31/00 in Epcot. All the parks were crowded but it is something I would not miss. We had just been down to Disney a few months earlier so we only did the attractions in Epcot we really wanted to do (my boyfriends would never miss doing "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience"). The weather was cold one day and hot the next so you definately need to wear layers.

We arrived at Epcot early (we were afraid about them closing the park - which I think they did although I am not sure what time). We spent the early part of the day in Futureworld and then later spent time in the World Showcase. There were special shows in all the countries. We were given Disney New Year's Eve hats and horns.

We did not have any reservations for dinner. We could have gotten them in a few of the resturants but there was so much going on we did not want to waste time eating. What we usually do in Epcot is stop at all the food carts and eat "Around the World". We love the samon from Norway, my boyfriends 10 year old son loves the eggrolls from China - he usually has 3 or 4, we get some bratworst (?) from Germany, a cappachino from Italy, french fries from America, fish and chips from the United Kingdom and pastries from France.

We watched Illuminations from Mexico and it was the best I had ever seen. After the show there were fireworks going off for at least 1/2 hour. Everyone was friendly and singing together. Hopefully we will be doing this either this NYE or next.

We spent NYE 2001/2002 on the Disney Wonder. This was also great. It was our first cruise and we all loved it. We are hoping to do the 7 day cruise next year.

Have a wonderful time.
Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter