• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Years Traditions

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
Do you have any traditions? Be it something you do on New Years eve or day? Something you eat? Or anything else?

Since my daughters were young New Years eve meant appetizers & movies. Back then we stayed up until midnight and toasted with Sparkling Apple Cider. It has now been years since I stayed up until midnight and even though I "celebrate" alone I still do the appetizer thing. Some years I make them, some years I buy them but now I drink champagne and am usually in bed by 10pm.

NYE dinner is always Lil smokies in a bbq cheddar sauce, with Ritz crackers, a veggie spread, sometimes hummus or other add-ons. Not sure when my parents started that tradition, but it's been a thing my entire life.

Black eye peas, sauerkraut, prunes, and pork are the “good luck” foods. I usually make mashed potatoes and crescent rolls to go with it. My pork this year will be bacon, some of which will be used to season the black eye peas.

We used to take the Christmas decorations down on New Year’s Day because it was the day Dad was off from work (we put it up on Thanksgiving for the same reason). Now it usually stays up until the weekend after New Year’s.

No traditions really. There were times when our DGDs would come over when their parents were out and we'd have a grape juice toast at 9pm. But they're too old for that now, and we're too old to stay up late. It's really an overrated holiday from my perspective.

I noticed @Praying Colonel mentioned blackeyed peas. My mother used to insist that we had those on New Year's day. They weren't very good, and I haven't had them in many years.

Last edited:
My mother always insisted her brother to come New Years Day. A man should be the first to walk in your house on Jan 1.

Bubbles and a kiss at midnight...ham, collard greens and black-eyed peas for lunch.
Any idea why this is?
And preferably a dark haired man bearing gifts. This is a Scottish superstition/tradition called first footing. It goes back to the days of Viking raiders....not so lucky for the victims.

We stay home. To many crazy speeding freeway drivers and drunk drivers out there. It’s a 30 minute drive each way to celebrate with family.

Hbby, DD and I stay home. We eat and watch movies.
This year during the day we will have a meat, cheese and cracker tray.
dinner will be tamales my sister gifted us pork, chicken and jalapeño cheese. I might make some potato salad and some pinto beans.

we will finish the night with a toasted of sparkling apple cider Blush.

Im still full from Christmas tamales,beans,rice, pozole, meat and cheese tray, treats.

Sometimes we play games with family members at my sister's and some years we don't so we really don't have any true traditions. We have the grandkids for a couple of days leading up to NYE so this Grandma will be in bed asleep to bring in '23.

Last edited:
Nothing set in stone, really. This year, we're going to a late Christmas party on New Year's Eve.

NY Day is my favorite day of the year because it’s my annual day of nothingness.
I wake up
Go sit on the couch in my pjs
Watch movies (the last several years it’s been HP movies all day)
Graze on snacks
Graze on Christmas desserts
Eat frozen pizza
Keep watching movies
Go to bed
Be sad that I have to wait 365 days to do it again - LOL!

My family knows to not bug me
My family knows they can join me as long as there’s no talking or wanting to watch what they want to watch
My family knows that they are on their own for food
DH knew that he was responsible for the kids when they were little, because it was my day off from EVERYTHING - LOL!

❤️ I LOVE THIS DAY ❤️

We usually do a "fancy" dinner (filet, lobster, etc) at home and then play games (board games or rummy), watch the Dick Clark show, etc. We toast to midnight and then head to bed.

Now that the kids are older, we encourage them to have their friends at our house so we can keep an eye on things.

Nah not for years. We just chill for the day watch random things then flip to the ball drop and not too too long later off to bed.

There have been times every now and then we'd get out to go to dinner or a coworker's house for a small get together but that's been years. When I first started dating my husband I'd usually end up at his mom's house but that only lasted a short time.

We order chinese food for dinner. Then, we tuck an air mattress against the sectional making an enormous lounging space where the whole family will watch movies and eventually fall asleep. DS10 normally konks out by 10pm, while DS8 powers through until 1am at least.

Non-American here, doesn't the US have any tv programmes that are shown every year on the 31st?

Here in NL since the 50s/60s we have at least one comedian doing a 1-1.5 hour routine focused on the last year. These shows are shown on television and are usually the biggest hit this evening, at least 50% of the country watches.

Most channels have some kind of news recap, or an In Memoriam tv show looking back at all celebrities/important people who died this year.

I know in Germany and some other European countries, at least one channel shows a comedy sketch from 1963: Dinner for One.

And for the 1st of January I am going to throw in the Vienna New Year's concert. Also shown each year throughout Europe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter