New Year's Eve

Ghostman

DVC Owner SSR & AKV
I've read several messages regarding crowd levels and things to do in the parks on New Year's Eve, but does anyone have any comments, suggestions, or thoughts on staying in at a DVC resort on New Year's Eve?
My wife and 2 daughters (5 and 2) are looking to head down after Christmas and are not really looking for a mob scene to ring in the new year, we would prefer to stay at a resort (looks like OKW, SSR, or AKL) and hit the parks bright and early on New Year's Day.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

We are also heading down to Disney but are staying from Dec 27-checking out on the 31st. It is VERY CROWDED during this time, just an fyi, but we still love to go and don't mind the crowds. It is a lot cooler weather too!

We'll be going down there too, Dec. 27-Jan. 3 at Bay Lake Towers. I'm not to worried about the crowd levels. If you plan accordingly, I'm sure you can still have a great time! I've been told to steer clear of MK on NYE. The park can reach capacity around 10am and make it every uncomfortable. For us, we're doing AK until it closes around 8pm then heading to DD. The shops stay open till midnight on NYE. Either way, I'm sure your family will have a great time ringing in the new year at Disney! :thumbsup2

We'll be going down there too, Dec. 27-Jan. 3 at Bay Lake Towers. I'm not to worried about the crowd levels. If you plan accordingly, I'm sure you can still have a great time! I've been told to steer clear of MK on NYE. The park can reach capacity around 10am and make it every uncomfortable. For us, we're doing AK until it closes around 8pm then heading to DD. The shops stay open till midnight on NYE. Either way, I'm sure your family will have a great time ringing in the new year at Disney! :thumbsup2

Sounds great.

I'm leaning towards a mellow night and a balcony sunrise breakfast to start the year off.

Would anyone know if any of the resorts have anything special going on? For New Year's eve of course.

I believe last year there was a pool party at SSR. The boardwalk area should have something going on. Susan

Thank you for starting this thread - we'll be there the Dec 26th - Jan 2nd and am also wondering about what are the opinions on things to do / where to do on NYE and NY Day.

The last time I was at WDW over the Christmas/New Year time period, I remember AK was at capacity one day around 1pm - but AK was still a fairly new park at that point and that could have been why.

From talking to my family, I think maybe we'll hang out at the resort on NYE and the watch fireworks. I'm also interested to know if any fireworks go off in the DTD area.

I have never been turned away from any park during my 3 NYE visits but I consider myself lucky. We usually go to Epcot around 7 and walk around the world with a drink in our hand and enjoy the party. We never line up for rides, just enjoy the atmosphere

It sounds like you don't have any reservations yet. NYE is probably the single most popularly booked night in all of DVC. You might have trouble finding something for your dates so I wouldn't wait too long as the 7-month window is already opening for late December reservations

The crowds are huge. We've done 7 NYE trips and will be there again this year. Don't plan on even trying to do any of the attractions. Get a fast pass if you can, but they'll all probably be gone by noon.

The longest lines we've ever seen have always been on NYE. For example Test Track could be a 3 to 4 hour wait.

However the festivities are good, fireworks are neat, and it's a lot of fun even without doing any of the rides.

"For us, we're doing AK until it closes around 8pm then heading to DD. The shops stay open till midnight on NYE. Either way, I'm sure your family will have a great time ringing in the new year at Disney!"

We will be at WDW Dec 30-Jan 3. Right now it looks like 2 nights BLT, 2 nights BCV. I was also thinking of AK, then hanging out at BLT. Maybe we can see some fireworks, maybe not.

It sounds like you don't have any reservations yet. NYE is probably the single most popularly booked night in all of DVC. You might have trouble finding something for your dates so I wouldn't wait too long as the 7-month window is already opening for late December reservations

The crowds are huge. We've done 7 NYE trips and will be there again this year. Don't plan on even trying to do any of the attractions. Get a fast pass if you can, but they'll all probably be gone by noon.

The longest lines we've ever seen have always been on NYE. For example Test Track could be a 3 to 4 hour wait.

However the festivities are good, fireworks are neat, and it's a lot of fun even without doing any of the rides.

We have a 1 bedroom at Saratoga Springs booked from the 29th to the 4th, but we are really considering splitting up our stay. Especially if the parks are going to be that packed, some resort hopping might be nice.

3 to 4 hours for Test Track?!?!

Great question!! We're also going 12/27-1/2, first 3 nites at AKV, last 3 at OKW, FOR NOW!! I think we're leaning towards epcot just because of it being spaced out more than MK. We also thought about just doing the resort, but how many times are you going to be there for this? My main concern is getting into a park, since my 2 little ones wouldn't last for 14 hours straight dealing with the crowds...nor would I!

When we were there over Christmas/NY's week a few years ago, MK, AK and DHS all closed to capacity by 11 or 12 every single day. Get there early, get your fastpasses and enjoy the atmosphere. You will still do lots and make unique family holiday memories. We did DHS on NYE and it was crowded. We used up our fastpasses early but did get into Fantasmic and just enjoyed the party music and fun until we left. Our kids were a little younger and no way would make it till midnight so we ended up at our resort for the actual midnight celebration. I believe we left the grandparents with all the kids in bed and the adults headed to the pool for midnight...that was fun!

Reiterating something above. If you do not have a ressie yet, you may be SOL. Members are already reporting not being able to get rooms for that time calling 7 months out.

As to NYE, we have done both MK and Epcot. Both are hugely crowded. Epcot actually offers more variety because the nations do a number of things outside.

Additionally, don't expect crowds to subside much Jan 1. That time of year has the largest crowds of the year and there will be huge crowds through Monday Jan 4 (people really don't start leaving until Monday and it really does not get nice until Tuesday). How huge: Soarin standby line can get to over 3 hours and even to 4, Test Track 3: the mountains and Safari ride 2 1/2; even the treehouse gets to over 60 minute line; fast passes for popular rides run out for the day and night before noon; if you want a sit down restaurant for dinner you must make ressies in advance. You can hit some things quickly in the early morning and sometimes ride lines decrease during parades. Many, many years ago they used to publish average daily entries to MK during different seasons, most off-seasons were in the 25-35,000 range, summer a high season was in the 55-65,000 range, Christmas week was in the 100,000 range.

We were there once for NYE and I seriously don't think I would do it again....we have since arrived on NYD and haven't had any issues with major crowd levels since depending on the day of the week NYD falls, the crowd level begins falling off dramatically. The one time we were there for NYE, we arrived on 12/30 and every park was at capacity by 11:00 a.m. on 12/30 and 12/31.........we couldn't even stay in the parks, but, opted to spend time at the resorts until the crowd level lessened after NYD.......crowds were shoulder to shoulder......it was a very claustrophobic feeling........even the lines for the restrooms were extremely long.......can't imagine having a small child waiting in a restroom line for 30 minutes......

3 to 4 hours for Test Track?!?!

No lie. Took my kids last NYE and we chatted with a CM who was in hysterics staring at the wait time board. Test Track and soaring were both Over 400 minute waits. :rotfl: Uh, by my watch not only would the people waiting in line miss the fireworks (both sets) but their margarita buzzes which told them it was OK to wait so long would wear off long before they were 1/2 way through the line. I had to wonder if someone was playing a joke on the wait time board.

Crowds in Epcot were horrible - however Imagination & Nemo were both walk ons. Navigating the crowds around the lagoon was a challenge & if you need a bathroom ~~well~~ just plan in advance. :rotfl2:

No lie. Took my kids last NYE and we chatted with a CM who was in hysterics staring at the wait time board. Test Track and soaring were both Over 400 minute waits. :rotfl: Uh, by my watch not only would the people waiting in line miss the fireworks (both sets) but their margarita buzzes which told them it was OK to wait so long would wear off long before they were 1/2 way through the line. I had to wonder if someone was playing a joke on the wait time board.

Crowds in Epcot were horrible - however Imagination & Nemo were both walk ons. Navigating the crowds around the lagoon was a challenge & if you need a bathroom ~~well~~ just plan in advance. :rotfl2:

Awesome stuff. Thanks.
I wouldn't wait 20 minutes for Test Track so to be honest I wouldn't care if it were 800 minute waits. LOL :laughing:

I've read several messages regarding crowd levels and things to do in the parks on New Year's Eve, but does anyone have any comments, suggestions, or thoughts on staying in at a DVC resort on New Year's Eve?
My wife and 2 daughters (5 and 2) are looking to head down after Christmas and are not really looking for a mob scene to ring in the new year, we would prefer to stay at a resort (looks like OKW, SSR, or AKL) and hit the parks bright and early on New Year's Day.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I would select SSR if it's still available. They have a party at the High Springs Pool that looks like fun:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2091902

I have never been turned away from any park during my 3 NYE visits but I consider myself lucky. We usually go to Epcot around 7 and walk around the world with a drink in our hand and enjoy the party. We never line up for rides, just enjoy the atmosphere
I have also never been turned away from the MK (x2) or Epcot (x7) on any NYE. We usually get into our NYE park of choice very early and then leave for a break when it becomes too crowded. We return to the park between 5-7 pm and are always allowed back in. That doesn't mean that the parks don't close! They do. But they always reopen by the time we are ready to reenter. Oh, we also make a dinner reservation to pass the time between when we enter the park and the fireworks since the attractions and the CS restaurants are usually packed to the gills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter