• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Years Eve Epcot Questions

JungleCruiseFan

Mouseketeer
we are doing New Year's Eve at Epcot this year. I saw that at 6:30pm they have illuminations and then New Years countdown fireworks at 11:40pm.
Is the 6:30pm illuminations a regular illuminations? 2 years ago we did Epcot on December 23rd and they had a special illuminations with a crazy good finale. Anyone know what that illuminations was?
Any tips for viewing the 11:40pm fireworks? Best spots? How early to get a spot? Any other general tips for enjoying New Year's Eve there?
We know it will be super packed, we have been to Magic Kingdom on Christmas before and are doing it again this year but we have never done New Year's Eve at any Disney park.
Thanks!

Went last year. First one at 6:30 is normal. Second is normal and then the whole special NYE begins ............. I don't want to say anything more for those who haven't seen, but I was surprised and WOW-ed. You don't want to miss it. We found folks sitting around the lagoon before the first one and not moving .....blankets, board games etc ..... no way I was blowing my evening sitting. We stood in UK and enjoyed it just fine. I would locate a spot with minimal trees and obstructions of the lagoon.

ENJOY all the dance parties, all the music and entertainment. It was great! We paid out the nose to stay on property due to thinking we'd be drinking ......... lines so long it simply wasn't worth it. Had a couple drinks but easily could have driven. End of night the crush to front gate was kinda scary so we knew buses would be worse than ever. We walked right out the back gate to DHS, walked right up on to a coach bus and straight to hotel (they had bus lanes).

There were some extra food stations and buffet set up but we opted to get an early dinner (5-ish) at QS then snacks rest of night.

If you want the hats/horns go get in line early before they run out. We were actually first and CMs took a picture of us after we got them. They handed out by Wonders of Life pavilion, very organized.

Hint: While most bathrooms later in night packed, the one just outside the International Gateway was empty.

We walked around World Showcase all evening. We didn't stake out a spot at all. When the lights dimmed everyone just stopped in their tracks. We were right at the front of World Showcase and it was pretty packed there, but the view was great.

It was an awesome night! :thumbsup2

How were the FPP lines? I have my 3 booked for the evening, but will I be waiting for 30+ min to ride? I don’t want to waste the evening away in lines.

How were the FPP lines? I have my 3 booked for the evening, but will I be waiting for 30+ min to ride? I don’t want to waste the evening away in lines.
We had a fp for TT from about 8pm - 9pm. It just seemed like a regular fp line to me. It wasn't longer than usual.

How does the wifi/phone signal hold up that night? Just in case we split up

First show at 6:30 2 years ago definitely wasn't regular Illuminations. It was amazing.

FP lines are just like normal lines. Standby lines are insane. Living with the land had a 50 min wait around 10am and Figment line was out the door

It could be slower with all the people trying to use the bandwidth, is that correct?

It could I suppose but highly unlikely. I didn't experience any issues when I was there for nye. They have hundreds of thousands of people using their system daily

We will be there too! I’m so looking forward to this night! Did it 2 years ago but left after viewing the early illuminations and went to Studios to see their fireworks. This year we have dinner at Le Cellier at 7 then we are finding a spot and sticking to it!

We'll be there among the masses too.
We are doing our 3 FP, then having lunch at Spice Road Table at 2:30, walking over to BWI for a nap then heading back something like 7:00 for the duration. We have another ADR for Pizza at 9:00, DH's choice. Though I am worried that's too late and we need to be around the WS to enjoy the activities by then. I'm still undecided on keeping it.
We don't really have specific plans for watching the fireworks. I think we'll do at PP have said, just watch where we are when they happen. Since they are in the sky we'll just make sure we have a clear view

We will be doing our second Epcot New Years Eve. The first time we went during the day and ended up spending a hour and walking back to the BWV, it was packed and long lines. We ended up going back for Rose and Crown ADR and had to wait 45 min for ADR. This time around we have a Tokyo Dinning earlier around 5:30pm and then three FP's. Hope to be done with FP's and spend the last hour walking slowly back to international Gateway for Illuminations.
Can't wait to ring in the New Year!

My biggest piece of advice is that if you want to sit down to eat, make an ADR for whatever you can find ... QS lines will be long and tables will be hard to come by. The cool thing is they move the gates that enclose the green spaces leading towards World Showcase down to water's edge, so all of the grass is open for seating around 5 p.m. or so ... before the advent of FP+, we'd get there at Rope Drop and would do what rides we could or get FPs and then would hang out on the grass, read and enjoy the weather.

Now?

I arrive around 2 p.m. - I do three ADRs (late lunch at Biergarten, Happy Hour at Spice Road Table, 10 p.m.-ish dinner at Chefs), and then have filled in our FP+s earlier between the two ADRs so we can spend the later hours at the parties and celebrating. I've noticed FP+s being slightly longer, but nothing too crazy.

They also bring in extra toilet trailers and set up bars and food stations throughout the World Showcase - and they hand out hats and noisemakers around ... maybe 6 p.m.? at a couple of areas around the park, but those things go FAST so make sure you plan appropriately if having a year-dated plastic top hat is important to you. Around nightfall, the special NYE merchandise should all be out to buy as well - special shirts, light up lanyards, ears, etc.

Unlike MK, Epcot is really built to handle the flow of people ... it's going to be crowded, but not so much where you can't move around - imagine a really crowded F&W weekend night. If you're a fan of Rose & Crown Pub for beers, or La Cava for margs, you'll definitely need to get there early or pack patience to wait to get served.

I've always watched the midnight fireworks show from the bridge between France and UK, or from Japan. Honestly, the show is SO BIG that there really isn't a bad place - it starts like normal Illuminations, but when you get to the countdown, it doesn't matter ... it's just a massive party and then there are so many fireworks in the sky, you think it's daytime.

You give me hope for our 9 PM ADR at Via Napoli. I was concerned we'd be missing too much of the fun and frivolity but maybe not?

You give me hope for our 9 PM ADR at Via Napoli. I was concerned we'd be missing too much of the fun and frivolity but maybe not?

Nope! That's a perfect time to take a break and fuel up for the rest of the evening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter