• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Vendor Drop-Off Policy? Update: CONFIRMED exclusive drop off vendor = Scooterbug

What I do at home is irrelevant. My concern is what I need while at WDW. The walk at the resort combined with the walk from the bus stop to the park entrance would likely cause a flare up for me, and my spouse has similar issues. So not having an ECV of my own to use throughout property is not an option. Yes, in my specific case on this specific trip, I should be fine. As long as WDW honors the grandfathering that has been mentioned. But I am not the only person this will affect. Yes, scooter rental companies will try to inform their guests as much as possible, I am sure of that. But some people won’t be aware due to a variety of factors, and this will definitely cause some headaches.

Then it sounds like you could benefit from bringing your own with you. I am not unsympathetic to those who have issue. I have issues myself, most people do. And I know that it is frustrating when they take away something that made things more convenient for you. But we all have to adjust. I never expect anyone to do anything for me and am happy if there is something that is more convenient, but I don't plan on having that. I plan on taking care of myself and figuring out how to do things with the understanding that my problems are not everyone else's problems.

You do understand that at some resorts your room can literally be over a mile away from the lobby/bus drop off area, right? Most people don't have to walk a mile to get from their car and into a grocery store and most grocery stores offer ECVs, so no, they would necessarily need their own.

But they can take you to your room in a golf cart. And it is not like you are unable to get and ECV for your trip at all. You just might have to wait a bit for it. Plan ahead. And at no resort is the walk a mile from your room to the nearest bus stop.

You do understand that at some resorts your room can literally be over a mile away from the lobby/bus drop off area, right? Most people don't have to walk a mile to get from their car and into a grocery store and most grocery stores offer ECVs, so no, they would necessarily need their own.
What resort requires a mile walk from your room to the nearest internal bus stop? No reason to make up facts. I understand some people can only walk a few steps, if that, and require a mobility aid their entire stay.
This is a none issue. Existing reservations will be grandfathered. Guests can either rent from scooterbug or rent from a vendor which will accommodate their schedule .

Scooterbug has updated their website. Their new offerings seem in line with guest needs.

Last edited:
What resort requires a mile walk from your room to the nearest internal bus stop? No reason to make up facts. I understand some people can only walk a few steps, if that, and require a mobility aid their entire stay.

Any resort that has multiple buildings (eg Saratoga).

I was under the impression SSR has many (5?) bus stops. How many rooms are more then a mile from the closest bus stop? Is complimentary golf cart transportation available to guests with such a long walk, assuming one exists?

but they have multiplet bus stops at them
70B3FB05-FFE9-4D9D-ADC8-355397033AB8.jpeg. Yes I counted 5. Yes depending on where your at in any resort you might have to walk 5 or so minutes but one mile no I do not believe that one for a minute yes some can not walk that fair.

I think one of the furthest walk you can do is at fort wilderness and that took me a little over 5 minutes at a slow walk. ( I stayed pretty much where that red dot is. C1DD9F87-A972-4740-8636-A16FF16BE4ED.jpeg

Last edited:
We always use scooterbug because they offered a larger wheelchair. It was cheaper and in good condition.

They only downside was it was too wide for the bus ramp so my fiance would have to try to walk on the bus while I lifted his chair on.
A chair with a 24" seat is 28 inches wide, so yeah, a tight fit.

This new development has me considering getting our own scooter. For one Scooterbug will have no competition and they may perceive this perk as a way to raise prices. Also, I will be suspect of them having poorer equipment. Again, because they have a captive audience. This is a wait and see.

For us, the scooter is becoming more necessary. It's not just for long distances. Even a museum is difficult and most of those don't rent scooters. Smaller zoos and smaller amusement parks don't have scooters, either. It would be nice to have one for a National Park.

I'm also thinking of renting a scooter from our home area and not buying one. We do road trips mostly; so, this an option for us, too. Just called a rental place and scooters rent from $150 to $200/week depending on the model.

Last edited:
This new development has me considering getting our own scooter. For one Scooterbug will have no competition and they may perceive this perk as a way to raise prices. Also, I will be suspect of them having poorer equipment. Again, because they have a captive audience. This is a wait and see.

For us, the scooter is becoming more necessary. It's not just for long distances. Even a museum is difficult and most of those don't rent scooters. Smaller zoos and smaller amusement parks don't have scooters, either. It would be nice to have one for a National Park.

I'm also thinking of renting one from our home area and not buying one. We do road trips mostly; so, this an option for us, too.
My friend got a really good second hand ECV it was barely used ( the batteries needed replaced ) but beside that it was just like new. And under $200. I hope you have great luck find one thst meets your needs.

but they have multiplet bus stops at them
View attachment 440686. Yes I counted 5. Yes depending on where your at in any resort you might have to walk 5 or so minutes but one mile no I do not believe that one for a minute yes some can not walk that fair.

I think one of the furthest walk you can do is at fort wilderness and that took me a little over 5 minutes at a slow walk. ( I stayed pretty much where that red dot is. View attachment 440688

I don't any of them are that far from a bus stop but my fiance definitely couldn't make that walk at FW. Caribbean Beach & Coronado springs kinda sucks but if bell services is willing to take you, then it is okay. The bus stop at the CSR new tower requires you take stairs or walk around the entire bus stop to get around front which could be a pain for some guest.

Last edited:
Then it sounds like you could benefit from bringing your own with you. I am not unsympathetic to those who have issue. I have issues myself, most people do. And I know that it is frustrating when they take away something that made things more convenient for you. But we all have to adjust. I never expect anyone to do anything for me and am happy if there is something that is more convenient, but I don't plan on having that. I plan on taking care of myself and figuring out how to do things with the understanding that my problems are not everyone else's problems.
I think we all realize we will have to adapt to it. But everyone is free to express how they feel about the changes. Anyone is within their right to be upset over it. I highly doubt Sarah was expecting anything.

But they can take you to your room in a golf cart. And it is not like you are unable to get and ECV for your trip at all. You just might have to wait a bit for it. Plan ahead. And at no resort is the walk a mile from your room to the nearest bus stop.
The issue could be getting from your room back to the lobby to meet them. But I would think and we plan on sticking with scooterbug to just avoid that.

Some resorts have extremely long hallways, such as Boardwalk Inn/Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge/Villas. It can be a 1/2 mile walk from the check-in desk to your room. And these are internal hallways, so there may be no vehicles that can take you to your room.

Yeah, I looked at the scooter offerings that ScooterBug has and I’m not impressed. If you like to pull “All-Dayers” in the parks like I do, ScooterBug’s units only AT-MOST have 5-6 hours of drive time before you need to charge them. And the battery life HEAVILY DEPENDS ON the weight of the user, how far/rough you drive the scooter, AND if you have to go up/down any hills (And Disney has some REALLY BIG HILLS).

Also, if you prefer a 3-wheeler to a 4-wheeler, then your choices are EXTREMELY LIMITED. They only offer ONE 3-wheeler and it ain’t even the Vic 10’s that EVERY OTHER RENTAL COMPANY OFFERS!
Those are my concerns too. I'm wondering if they will be changing their offerings. What this will mean is that I will have to schedule flights to accommodate being able to meet Buena Vista/Gold who have better equipment. Or not go at all. Or take my own scooter. There is no way I am comfortable with a scooter that only has a 5-6 hour operating capacity and I don't think that is "market." What is interesting is if you look up what I believe their 3-wheel scooter is (a Golden LiteRider 3 wheel) the Golden specifications say it is good for 12 miles so not sure where they are getting 5-6 operating hour estimate from.

Another option--though by no means ideal if you are arriving late or leaving early--schedule a Scooterbug scooter for a one-day rental and then on the second day meet with the company of your choice for a smooth change. Or if you have an early departing flight change to end your rental with your preferred scooter company the day before you leave and take on a Scooterbug rental for that last night. The price for a one-day rental is $50 (same as in the parks?) so it will cost a few dollars more to implement my plan above but well worth it in my opinion. INTERESTING--Scooterbug has updated their website--and their info for the "normal" 3 wheel now quotes the 12 mile capacity I mentioned above.

Another option--though by no means ideal if you are arriving late or leaving early--schedule a Scooterbug scooter for a one-day rental and then on the second day meet with the company of your choice for a smooth change. Or if you have an early departing flight change to end your rental with your preferred scooter company the day before you leave and take on a Scooterbug rental for that last night. The price for a one-day rental is $50 (same as in the parks?) so it will cost a few dollars more to implement my plan above but well worth it in my opinion. INTERESTING--Scooterbug has updated their website--and their info for the "normal" 3 wheel now quotes the 12 mile capacity I mentioned above.
I think people either need to give Scooterbug a day or two to update the information on their site, I suspect cached pages may take time to clear, or give them a call.

Older information on their site probably refers primarily to equipment rented in the parks.

Those are my concerns too. I'm wondering if they will be changing their offerings. What this will mean is that I will have to schedule flights to accommodate being able to meet Buena Vista/Gold who have better equipment. Or not go at all. Or take my own scooter. There is no way I am comfortable with a scooter that only has a 5-6 hour operating capacity and I don't think that is "market." What is interesting is if you look up what I believe their 3-wheel scooter is (a Golden LiteRider 3 wheel) the Golden specifications say it is good for 12 miles so not sure where they are getting 5-6 operating hour estimate from.

Yeah, it all seems kinda sketchy. Not everyone who has their own mobility device wants to/can take their device to the airport and subsequently on the airplane. Some devices you have to dismantle COMPLETELY in order to be able to get it on an airplane. Then as soon as you land, reassemble the device and check it out for any damages.

I wouldn’t rent a scooter that has only 5-6 hours of battery life. Some people when they’re in Disney spend ALL DAY in the parks from early morning-late night, give or take a shopping spree in Downtown. A scooter that you would have to charge every 5 hours wouldn’t cut it for those people.

Some resorts have extremely long hallways, such as Boardwalk Inn/Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge/Villas. It can be a 1/2 mile walk from the check-in desk to your room. And these are internal hallways, so there may be no vehicles that can take you to your room.
I agree some people need a mobility aid their entire stay. That said your 1/2 mile number is an exaggeration. Requesting a room close to the lobby for medical reasons is a reasonable request, not guaranteed.

I'll agree a person staying at BWV or AKL might need a mobility aid around their resort, a guest staying at the Contemporary might not.

Yeah, it all seems kinda sketchy. Not everyone who has their own mobility device wants to/can take their device to the airport and subsequently on the airplane. Some devices you have to dismantle COMPLETELY in order to be able to get it on an airplane. Then as soon as you land, reassemble the device and check it out for any damages.

I wouldn’t rent a scooter that has only 5-6 hours of battery life. Some people when they’re in Disney spend ALL DAY in the parks from early morning-late night, give or take a shopping spree in Downtown. A scooter that you would have to charge every 5 hours wouldn’t cut it for those people.

Posts above you have already said scooterbugs website has been updated. Their standard resort scooter has a range of 25 miles.
Another poster said the 5-6 hour number is for continuous use. Scooters are off when your dining, watching a parade, parking the ECV for some attractions, off while on some attractions etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter