New van help needed!

SueOKW

Go Tribe!!!
Hello!

My DS is 14 1/2 - - severe spastic quadrapalegic cerebral palsy. (it's been so long since i've typed that I'm not sure that's the right order or spelling!! :rolleyes: ) Anyway, the time has come for us to realize that this kid is starting to gain so much weight (yay for tube feeding) and his chair is getting so much heavier, we absolutely need to get a new van with ramp, tie downs etc....

I found this web site called mobilityworks.com - and they seem to have plenty of choices. Does anyone have any experience with them? What other options are there?

Any info appreciated, as always!!!
Sue :cool1:

We went to the local accessible van dealer who's prices were very high and a local Ford dealer. WE made out much financially putting a lift in a fullsize van bought at the local Ford dealer.

I really wanted a mini van but the adaptations to lower the floor added about 17,000 to the price. The accessible dealer tried to talk us into getting a used van and adapting it -- but we didn't want to spend that much extra to adapt a van with miles on it!

I have a car to do errands in and to use for work to save wear and tear on the van. We just got back from Florida and were loaded down with the dogs kennel, presents, suitcases, etc etc etc etc
We never would have fit in a mini van! So the big van has a few advantages besides the decreased cost!

Linda

Thank you Linda- that's very helpful. My husband enjoys the full size van we have now - but it's getting a little old (1995) to retro-fit.

We will investigate getting a new van and retro-fitting it. Where does a person find that kind of info?

I had a side lift mini van and still do to drive back and forth to work but I would never have another side lift van. I also have a F350 used to be 15 passenger van that I had all the seats removed and 2 bucket seats put in for a total of 4 and 2 wheelchair tie downs. The first tie down is a manual tie down because my youngest daughter is going to grow and so will her chairs. The second tie down is an automatic tie down, it works like a 5th wheel trailer. The chair has a bolt under it and when it slides into the tie down it locks. I also have a rear lift with automatic doors. The best thing I ever did was get a rear lift. I no longer have to look for some place to park any spot will now do.

Interesting point - thank you very much! My husband is very excited that we will be getting another big van. (I hope I don't have to drive it much - my perfect car is a little Honda CRV - we are so opposite!)

I don't mind driving the big van when Dan is with me since handicapped spots are larger BUT hate putting it into "standard" parking spots when I am alone.
We were able to move our old lift to our new van which decreased the costs and Ford offers the 1,000 adaptation discount so that helped with that cost.

I wish Ford or other mini van manufacturers would make lower floor models rather than having to rebuild a new van ! IT is so expensive to lower the floor on top of the price of a new vehicle! I have meant to write Ford about this but it remains on my to do list! Seems like their are many folks who would purchase mini vans if this was an option!

Linda

I have an adapted Dodge Grand Caravan that came with the lowered floor, an EZ lock ( I drive the van) and other driving adaptations which were put in after the purchase. It has the side ramp. It's an Entervan conversion- fortunately VR paid for the adaptations and I only had to pay for the van itself. Kathy

I purchased an accessible van late last year. I purchased it from AMSVANS.com. I had a wonderful experience with them. They have great financing plans, and are great to work with. If you would like any further information PM me.

Purchasing my van was hassel free. I bought a 2004 Chrysler Town & Country. I love my van!!!!!

dclfun said:
I have an adapted Dodge Grand Caravan that came with the lowered floor, an EZ lock ( I drive the van) and other driving adaptations which were put in after the purchase. It has the side ramp. It's an Entervan conversion- fortunately VR paid for the adaptations and I only had to pay for the van itself. Kathy
We also have an Enterovan conversion (lowered floor, kneeling and fold down ramp). I honestly don't know how we did without it.
Whatever you decide, the EZ lock is great. We have it for DD's power wheelchair. It's so nice to just drive it in and the wheelchair locks in. We don't have the bolt installed on her manual wheelchair (so we try not to take that outside the house if we can help it - to much hassle to be putting on all those straps).
They didn't have (or at least we were not aware of) the rear entry vans like Michigan has at the time we bought our van. The only thing we don't like about the side entry van is that you have to have the correct parking spot with an access lane on the correct side.
Personally, I could not drive a full size van, but if the size and extra bulk doesn't bother you, some people really like them.
The one piece of advice I'd give is that you need to have access to someone who can service your van, so keep that in mind when choosing a dealer.

Just another idea about financing. The state of Fla. has the FAAST loan program ( Fla. Alliance for Assistive Technology) that provides a very low interest loan for anything that enables the disabled to function, including an adapted van. The maximum amt. at this time is 20K ( which would not cover a new adapted van but would at least finance part of it) and you can only have one FAAST loan out at a time. Perhaps other states have a similar program. Also, Medicaid Waiver ( regardless of income) usually assists with lifts for vans for families with developmentally disabled children. I guess you might want to call your local state social service agency to see if your family would qualify for any type of assistance to help with your purchase. Kathy

thank you all so much - i've been given a lot of great advice to bear in mind.. i will investigate carefully! I appreciate all of you sharing experiences and advice.
Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter