(NEW TR LINK) Mickey MMMouse,McDonald Duck& Memo: 12 Days & 13.1 Miles. Nov 2013 TR

Yes, well it does need to be clarified.. because I get so many blank looks of confusion when I talk to non-Midwesterners and use the word 'pop'. Like I'm speaking a foreign language or something. POP. It's pop. It will always be pop. And speaking of pop- the best pop in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD hails from our sweet state of MI. Vernors.

....Crud.
I need some Vernors now. THANKS A LOT. :lmao: (Also. Way to go spell check on not knowing "Vernors" )

I hadn't noticed people being confused over pop/soda/cola, but I went on a church trip to WI (with people from all over the states) and it seemed everyone had a different term for water/drinking fountain. I forget them now, but a few sound really unappealing. Anyone else have a different word for water fountain?

And then……. We went back to the hotel to begin… RACE PREP. Okay, so the race will be two posts away. One of race prep. And one of the race. I know, I’m killing you. You are all like ‘stop being so wordy because we don’t care about the lady in front of you with 900 photo options of Goofy.. we want RACE!”

But…race Prep first. That will be exciting. It includes costumes. And costumes are always fun!

I am 100% serious when I say, I'm really looking forward to the Prep post! I've done a couple 10ks so far, and I know what happens during the running. I'm REALLY wanting to know about getting ready for a Disney run. =D Like traveling to the line up, haha! But yeah. Sort of freaking out about what to do the day before the race. :rotfl: And yay! Costumes!

Ah...your TR is so refreshing, I hope it's 100 pages! Your humor is right up my alley. Never stop! Never! :worship:

Alright, a little fangirling episode there for ya. ;)

My sister says pop, I say coke or soda. :confused3 We split right down the middle I guess, part of that is b/c she moved to Minneapolis in college and I stayed in St. Louis. I'm sure you care...these things are of utmost importance. :p

Damn that headache! and no nap? I can see where this is going and it's exactly why a night race would never work for me. I'm an earlybird and even naps don't help. It's bedtime at 9pm.

I'm looking forward to that walk to Epcot! :thumbsup2

Ooh...you should totally do ToT next year :) the shorter distance and the night timing is what drew me to it as well :). I might go for wine and dine the following year if this one goes well. Just reading about your migraine is painful :(. I hope it went away before the race. And those desserts look so good!

I really do worry about the temps & humidity with the ToT. I run really, REALLY badly in hot weather. Like running in 50-60 degress is PERFECT for me. The Wine & Dine ended up being hotter than anyone expected and with more humidity. And that affected so many people on the course & afterwards. (And by hotter it was like 65-70 degres).

....Crud.
I need some Vernors now. THANKS A LOT. :lmao: (Also. Way to go spell check on not knowing "Vernors" )

I hadn't noticed people being confused over pop/soda/cola, but I went on a church trip to WI (with people from all over the states) and it seemed everyone had a different term for water/drinking fountain. I forget them now, but a few sound really unappealing. Anyone else have a different word for water fountain?

I am 100% serious when I say, I'm really looking forward to the Prep post! I've done a couple 10ks so far, and I know what happens during the running. I'm REALLY wanting to know about getting ready for a Disney run. =D Like traveling to the line up, haha! But yeah. Sort of freaking out about what to do the day before the race. :rotfl: And yay! Costumes!

I want some Vernors too- dang it. Or Rock n Rye. Another favorite!

I have never heard anything but water or drinking fountain? And my parents live up in WI half the year..... Hmm....

I thought the details on the prep might be useful for someone because I was really worried about that too. And I learned some things that I did horribly wrong that night as well. Well, not horribly....... but wrong enough to know to change them next time.

Ah...your TR is so refreshing, I hope it's 100 pages! Your humor is right up my alley. Never stop! Never! :worship:

Alright, a little fangirling episode there for ya. ;)

My sister says pop, I say coke or soda. :confused3 We split right down the middle I guess, part of that is b/c she moved to Minneapolis in college and I stayed in St. Louis. I'm sure you care...these things are of utmost importance. :p

Damn that headache! and no nap? I can see where this is going and it's exactly why a night race would never work for me. I'm an earlybird and even naps don't help. It's bedtime at 9pm.

I'm looking forward to that walk to Epcot! :thumbsup2

Aww. Thanks for the fangirl love!!! :love: I'll do my best to keep it around 100 pages. Hahaha. And then I'll continue with my Cruise one next summer.

My sister in law in St. Louis also says 'coke' and not 'pop'. It really is a Mid-West/Great Lakes thing I think.... I really do get blank stares with family on the Eastern coast when I say it........

I am an earlybird too but actually don't enjoy morning races (I don't get a long enough time to pre-hydrate myself and I head downhill more quickly in the morning vs afternoon). I do best lunchtime. So the superlate night was a new experience although I will say that adreneline works WONDERS with any type of lack of sleep or race start time. :)

And got ourselves some dessert. Dessert first. Then lunch. My basic rule I try to follow in life. Life's short- so eat dessert first! This desert was an Orange Cupcake. A Pistachio Cherry Mouse (I think) and a…. um…. Peter..help me out- I know you had this too.. some Hazelnut thing that was really, really good….

I believe that was a Hazelnut Cheesecake...and yes I concur...really yummy.

And - I agree with you that the "new" test track is "improved".

Finally - don't rush to get to the race...I am using your TR as a benchmark for mine, so the longer you take to move forward - the less I will feel like I am behind.... :goodvibes

It seems like you managed to have some fun despite the migraine. And it seems as if FP+ was working okay for you. I didn't realize the MH turns green when your window opens, that's great! I really haven't read much about the new system outside TRs because it will be a few years before I'm back in WDW and I figure experiences will tell me more than speculation. (And Karen will just fill me in by the time I need the info.) :rolleyes:

And while I'm glad you're managing to fit in some fun I really hope you didn't have to run your race with a migraine! :sad2:

Joining in .. love it so far ! Sorry about the headache .. hope it went away in time for your race ! :goodvibes

I believe that was a Hazelnut Cheesecake...and yes I concur...really yummy.

And - I agree with you that the "new" test track is "improved".

Finally - don't rush to get to the race...I am using your TR as a benchmark for mine, so the longer you take to move forward - the less I will feel like I am behind.... :goodvibes

Cheesecake- that's what it was... yes, Hazelnut Cheesecake.

No fear on my 'rushing' - I mean, it's taken me 4 posts just to get through 3/4's of a day! You may beat me yet!!! You just are starting slower!

It seems like you managed to have some fun despite the migraine. And it seems as if FP+ was working okay for you. I didn't realize the MH turns green when your window opens, that's great! I really haven't read much about the new system outside TRs because it will be a few years before I'm back in WDW and I figure experiences will tell me more than speculation. (And Karen will just fill me in by the time I need the info.) :rolleyes:

And while I'm glad you're managing to fit in some fun I really hope you didn't have to run your race with a migraine! :sad2:

No, the Mickey doesn't turn Green- the FP que machines turn green if you are good to go. Lots of people had problems with having FP+ reserved but the Mickey not turning green to let them in the que.

Joining in .. love it so far ! Sorry about the headache .. hope it went away in time for your race ! :goodvibes

Hi- Welcome! :welcome: Thanks for joining. I see you have a TR too- I will have to go read up on it as well! Always like a new, good trip report!!! :)

Hi- Welcome! :welcome: Thanks for joining. I see you have a TR too- I will have to go read up on it as well! Always like a new, good trip report!!! :)

Mine aren't so great and I hardly ever finish them. :rolleyes1

My better TR are in the form of videos on my Youtube page. I'm working on our latest trip now .. in fact we were there the same week as you !

Mine aren't so great and I hardly ever finish them. :rolleyes1

My better TR are in the form of videos on my Youtube page. I'm working on our latest trip now .. in fact we were there the same week as you !

You were there same week? Awesome!! Can't wait to see your video...and hear your chime on that week & all the Magic Band stuff and whatnot!

Joining in!!

We were at YC at the same time - wonder if we crossed paths! :goodvibes

Hi- Welcome!! :welcome:

I do see that arrived just a day after my lovely morning wandering in my PJ's over to the Yacht Club to the Compass Lounge for my Diet Coke. :) I decided I like the YC better than the BC in terms of feel/decorations.

I also see you have a TR so I will most def. be popping on over to read!!

Race Prep. Here we are… mere hours from the race. Headache still raging & nerves off the chart…..

We arrived back at the Beach Club and went into prep mode. I texted my ‘work coach’ (i.e- person who often kept me company on the treadmill during training and/or yelled encouraging things like “When I did my ½ it was the worst thing I ever signed up for….”) about my migraine. She immediately texted back “So you have given up on the ½?”

What? Uh. No. Headache or not- I was running! I didn’t come this far for nothing! Have I mentioned I'm incredibly stubborn? Yhea. I am. :rolleyes1

The sad thing about migraines are that after having one for so many hours- your body does get taxed- almost like you have already run a marathon- just fighting the pain. And I was at that point. Body sore & tired- not to mention I had been up since 5am. It was a tough place to be….. This smiley is actaully called.. Headache. So I will use it..... :headache: I earned it.

I ran down to the lame-o marketplace and grabbed a banana, a hard-boiled egg & a PB&J Uncrustable. Dinner. There were lots of other doing the same thing. Around this time, the Cuz showed up with her suitcase finally. She officially ‘joined’ our vacation from this point forward.

She was showing me the love with words like “I hate you so much for talking me into this”. Feel it? :love:

Somewhere in there, we all managed to get ready. We had picked a ‘theme’ months prior & that theme was “Alice in Wonderland”. Let’s just say.. out of the 3 of us, 2 costumes were less than great. 1 was fantastic. I was not the fantastic one. We had our brown-haired Alice (the Cuz), The Mad –Hatter (Big-D) and the Cheshire Cat (moi). Big D rocked her outfit. She put the rest of us to shame!!

But alas, you must wait for a picture because I don’t have any till we get to the race prep area. Per our literature it said, please board a bus from your resort NO LATER THAN 8. (For those looking for info- you MUST take a bus there, there is no drop off/pick up or parking at the race start). We wandered down at 7:45. BIG MISTAKE.

Learn from me. Learn. DO NOT GO DOWN TO THE BUS ANYTIME AFTER 7:30! REPEAT.. DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE (ok. Sorry that was a reference to one of my favorite all time movies which is “O Brother Where Art Thou”.. great movie in case anyone is looking for one!) The bus line was about 2 miles long. I wish I was joking. At this point panic did set in because we honestly didn’ t know if we would make it by 10pm start. The busses were not coming & the line was THAT LONG.

GO EARLY. GO. GO. GO EARLY!!!!!

We did make it to the area- probably around 9pm. And it was PACKED. Like. Um. 15,000 runners packed.

The waiting area was a big box surrounded by porta-potties, a stage & characters . The lines for both the characters & the toilets were longer than Toy Story Mania on Christmas Day.

We immediately went to bag check and checked our bags. No lines and very quickly done. It’s done by last name.

I have the bladder the size of a pea. Therefore, this dictated I jump into one of those porta-potty lines….

Look here I am, finally. I am here.....

Oh look. See the potties WAY back there behind me........

To pass time, we took pictures.

Of some awesome costumes… “OH LOOK, MARLIN.. I FOUND NEMO!!!”

The people behind him are dressed as classic, unique Disney characters- Wine & Dine Runners. Wooo. Ahhh.

Finally- The Alice In Wonderland Trio…………..

See I told you the Big-D was awesome!!!

It took us about 40 minutes to get to the front of the line and use the toilets! Right when we got out the announced we could go into our corrals..which were marked by large, lighted balloons. Very well lit.

The three of us said our goodbyes and gave hugs…and I took a deep breath, massaged my temples..and headed for the final countdown. Into the corral I went!

They check your bib before allowing you to enter. Corral G. Home Sweet Home.

I sat down and stretched. Adjusted my music. Tried to update facebook (warning- there are SOOOOOOO many people trying to access facebook you can not connect pre-race… you will just run your battery down- so don’t bother!). I continued to massage my temples… angry that 24 hours after first getting the migraine, I STILL had it & it still really hurt.

The DJ kept us hopping with encouraging words. Reminding us that Anton was standing in Corral A- he’d won the 3 previous years and last year he even took pictures…. This year he was not. We knew Anton would be winning (he did).

I took a selfie- Um.. cuz why not?

The vibe was energetic, the people were fun….. the weather was WAY hotter than expected- as was the humidity. But I was ready. Headache and all…. I was here. I was standing there. I almost started crying and then I remembered I promised I would only cry when I crossed the finish line!!!

It was 1 minute till 10pm. Race was just about to begin…………………..

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoohoooo!!!!!! Here you go!!!!!!

Thanks for all the little tips, they will come in handy! Sorry about your head.

Yeah, the tips will definitely come in handy! And you guys ALL look amazing :). I love the costumes and that you had a theme. I'm sorry to hear that you still had the migraine :(

Whoohoooo!!!!!! Here you go!!!!!!

Thanks for all the little tips, they will come in handy! Sorry about your head.

I am curious how the busses will run for a morning race- maybe more evenly spaced out in regards to when people board?

Yeah, the tips will definitely come in handy! And you guys ALL look amazing :). I love the costumes and that you had a theme. I'm sorry to hear that you still had the migraine :(

Thanks- but really- Big D won hands down. She even got a shout out by the DJ as she went by in her corral- I heard it.... it also made her easy to find when I caught up to her mid-race!

GAK! The suspense! You're killing me. :scared:

I know, right? Man, I rival Sherlock Holmes. It is my personal goal to drag out this trip report till I can write my cruise one in June. :) You need to crank out faster since you only have till Feb!!!

Yay! So exciting!
I'm so nervous for things like migraines (or, more likely with me, tummy issues...glad to know how long a bathroom run will be!)

I'm biased to Chesh, so I love your costume best. <3

Thanks for all the tips! So not looking forward to a 3am bus ride. Blech. Owell, just one day!

Yay! So exciting!
I'm so nervous for things like migraines (or, more likely with me, tummy issues...glad to know how long a bathroom run will be!)

I'm biased to Chesh, so I love your costume best. <3

Thanks for all the tips! So not looking forward to a 3am bus ride. Blech. Owell, just one day!

I also suffer from tummy issues while running- this was a gigantic concern for me for this race. I actually failed to share the story in my last post... but I decided very last mintue to take an Immodium a few hours before the race. My sister-in-law asked for one too. I dug them out of my bag and handed it out & we both took it. I had not tried this before and so even made the comment "I hope I don't regret this".

I didn't really (other issues arose which I will share in my next post for you and Karen as a warning) however the next day as I was back in my bag I pulled out some more of the loose immodiums I had passed out the night before and looked at them a little closer. And realized they were allergy meds. I totally took & gave my sister-in-law allergy medicine. I mean, because getting up at 5am and running a race till 1:30am isn't tiring enough, let's give out drugs that physically make you tired.

I have yet to cop up to that to her- I feel really bad.

Lesson to learn- look at your drugs before taking and distrubuting. :eek:

So not only did I run a 1/2 with not sleep and a migraine. I also ran with while taking drugs that make you drowsy. Woo. Go me. I feel like I earned some add'l endurance medal for all that! Hahahaha!

OMG, I thought you had updated...I'm on the edge of my seat! Hurry up! :lmao:

so you are a drug dealer as well. nice. ;) At least you know you have super willpower with sleep deprivation! :rolleyes1

Allright, let’s see how fast I can type this before anyone comes in at work-

The Race. FINALLY. The Race.

I last left you with a 10pm time. And a HERE WE GO………..

Only, I didn’t really ‘go’ anywhere as I was not an elite runner in Corral A. So while we are waiting for me to start… let’s get a look at our course:

Pretty nice set up- running through 3 parks.

The corrals were being released about every 2 minutes for the first few, then every 5 minutes after that. I was in Corral G so that put me about a 10:20 start. They kept right on time for the most part & each and every corral got fireworks which I thought was nice. As the corral in front of you left, the whole herd moved forward. This picture is several corrals ahead of me fireworks since I had put my camera away by the time I got up there…

Finally it was my time & off I went. The first three miles were on roads leading into the Animal Kingdom. It was a flat course & not too difficult. The biggest obstacle were the crowds of runners & the humidity at this point. There were two character stops within this first three mile stretch and they were both good ones- I am bummed they were so early because I didn’t want to stop that early.

They were all the Country Bears with a cool backdrop & Fantasia characters. There were also music, TV screens & lots of porta-potties (probably a block every mile of the race). There was water/watered-down Gatorade every 1.5-2 miles as well. Neither water or potties were lacking in this race!

Running on the roads (this may have been later actaully-but you get the idea)

As I was hitting the 2 mile mark (see map), The first runner was heading back on his 7th mile. Yes… already at the 7th mile. I had not even hit 2. It was Anton…his shirt was off…and he was flying!!!! A CAR was pacing in front of him. We all cheered so loudly for him! GO ANTON!!!! As I approached 2 and on, more elites came through… cheered for them too!

Right before I hit Animal Kingdom- I needed to take care of two pieces of business- ditch the tutu… it was getting in my way and annoying me. And use the bathroom.. I had drank A LOT OF WATER the last two days. In all my brilliance and need for speed (HA), I was so focused on getting in and out.. I forgot to lock the porta door. You are welcome Disney Runners… because yes, OF COURSE, someone opened it. Thankfully there are 15,000 of you & whoever saw me probably will never see me again. Or maybe they did & just will secretly laugh and me and point…but never tell me to my face. Regardless… I put on a nice peep show. Because that’s how things roll for me……..

We approached Animal Kingdom all lit up & it was SO COOL. Running through the parks at night is so very, very awesome!

It was very congested around the park, but since I was not in it for any timed personal record, I went with the flow..it didn’t bother me. It will also be noted that I realized at this point, my headache was GONE. GONE. GONE!!!! FINALLY. Woo!!!!!

We continued through Animal Kingdom & past Everest. They had these cool light up fangs? on a bridge we ran through-

There were 3 characters out I think in Animal Kingdom- Turk, Timon & ???- Can’t remember the third. Passed all of them as they didn’t do anything for me. Finally, back out to the parking lot where we ran loops. I watched the others coming into the park as I was exiting. I heard the music before I saw the next stop. I rounded the corner and Boom- A PIRATE SHIP.

And Cap’t Jack. Um. Race, what race? I will ALWAYS stop for some Cap’t Jack Sparrow. ALWAYS. Swoon. So I got in the long line of other admirers for a picture. And actually looking at it… he was a pretty good looking Jack Sparrow. I mean not as good looking as the REAL Jack Sparrow.. but decent enough. He gave me some grief for being a cat in a race. And off I went………

That’s right where I passed the 6.2 mile mark. The next 2.5 miles were all roads & overpasses. There were some hills in here & those were hard. There was entertainment & I saw the Balloon Ladies on the other side entering Animal Kingdome at that point. That meant I was about 3.1 miles ahead of the pacers.

Drank more water & very watered down Gatorade. They passed out Gels (I think they were BLOCK) around Mile 8. I know they were not GU as I use GU. Oh ,that rhymes. It was also right after that I started feeling sick to my stomach. I found out later a lot of people were sick because of the watered down Gatorade & the gel they handed out. I should have stuck to the GU I brought instead of using theirs as I have never tested it.

Around Mile 8 I started getting real tired. But Lilo and Stitch were there & they are a favorite of mine- Stitch, in particular.. so I had to stop for a picture there as well. Apparently there were Green Army Men right before them, but I totally didn’t see them.

And then, we were entering the final stretch- Hollywood Studios!!! We ran in the back way by Tower of Terror (see it behind me?)

(yhea me either barely)

That's better-

Then by Rock n Roller Coaster.

SELFIE!

Down the streets & through the sign.

and by the hat....

(Yhea, I get it- they are bad pictures..but if I stopped too long I would never start again- so forgive them!)

Through some claustrophobic tunnel they put fog and a disco light in. The effect was dizzying…and I almost passed out. Not a good idea Disney, at mile 9- NOT A GOOD IDEA! Several characters were out- Wreck It Ralph and the Incredibles. I didn’t stop for either . By this point my main focus was really getting through the course.

Osbourne Lights came next and they put pep in my step at Mile 10ish. They were BEAUTIFUL .

Bummer I had a nice selfie inthe lights but it didn't load & I'm at work. Oh well.

This is also where I spotted the orange wig & ran up to catch my Sis-in-Law. She took off quick like NOT to be outdone by her novice sis-in-law runner.

Star Wars Characters were out. I passed. And this point… was my wall. I hit it at 10, like I expected to. I had trained till 10 and that’s it. And 10 is where I hit it. I can say, I really don’t remember much of 10-13. It was a mental game for me to keep putting one step in front of the other. There were road blocks with runner crowds on the Boardwalk as we passed by..and unlike Animal Kingdom, it was hard to move past it because the energy was not there. There were people cheering us on at the resorts though as well.. and that as nice.

Photographers captured me at this point. Does my face say PAIN?

Nah, I look pretty happy. I wasn't.

I passed by my resort & I SO wanted to stop. But at that point I was less than a mile to finish. I pushed on, into EPCOT. And passed ‘the ball’. I hurt so bad. I felt so sick. Mile 13 came. I could see the finish. I started to cry…I ran & I cried…

and………

I DID IT!!!!

Oh, I did it!

The time recorded was not my time- that was time from when first runner started. I think- without looking- my time ended up being 2:49. Which is fine.

So happy. I took pictures. I held my medal.

I tried to hold it together. Both my tears & the fact I felt SO SICK. I kept moving.. as that’s what they tell you to do…. I got my bag check (easy to do). I ran to the bathrooms because I thought I was going to be sick. I wasn’t… not yet.

Sis-in-law and I collected our wine (in a covered cup) and I put mine right in the bag. I was focused on NOT throwing up.. there was no thoughts at all of drinking. I had some salty crackers and a banana.

We meandered back into EPCOT.

Medals ON!

And were going to ride Soarin’ while waiting for the Cuz. We ended up seeing her with the pacers as we passed up into Soarin’. She really did keep them company.

I got into line for Soarin. It’s a very, very long que. And that’s when I knew I wasn’t going to make it. I was going to throw up right there…. I jumped out of line & that long walk back to the bathrooms was the LONGEST EVER IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF THE WORLD. I noticed someone behind me also jump out of the line. I don’t know how I made it, but I did…. Into the bathroom to puke. And the person behind me.. .also into the bathroom to puke. And someone after that..into the bathroom to puke. Also good time to mention that I saw pukers everywhere from the time I left the finish line up till my fellow pukers in the bathroom. Reports later indicated that the higher temps than expected combined with the water down Gatorade and the gel they gave were leading causes. So my advice to future runners would be bring your own gels you trained with & stay easy on the Disney provided sports drinks. Maybe take it only 1-2 times vs every other time (which is what I was doing).

By the time I was done puking- the Cuz caught up with us..and I did make it on Soarin. Then we did Spaceship Earth. And then I declared myself totally done- It was 3:30am. I had spent 24 hours awake almost, most with a headache & run 13.1 miles. It was time to call it a day. My goal was completed. I finished my first ½. Medal in hand, I walked back to the room. I DID IT. Insert Smile. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter