New to this...which would you cancel?

swissfamilytreehouse

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I'm going to WDW in July with my in-laws and 2.5 year old son. We are staying off-site at an airbnb. I made a bunch of reservations but am thinking it's a bit much (total $) especially after reading so many terrible reviews. Each is on a different day.

Also, I included my son in the party count, but is it true we won't have to pay for him?

Chef Mickey's (arrival day dinner)
Jungle Skipper Canteen something (lunch - across from my favorite attraction as a child and most likely keeping this reservation)
Sanaa (dinner; love Indian food...)
1900 Park Fare (breakfast)

For sure I would get rid of Chef Mickey unless you REALLY want to see those characters. Out of those options, it would appeal to me the least. I've never done the Jungle Skipper Canteen, but it looks good. Sanaa gets amazing reviews. And 1900 Park Fare breakfast has the potential to be hilarious and the food is decent for a buffet.

If you are concerned about the cost I would replace it with a counter service. There are quite a few good ones in MK and the surrounding resorts.

And you do not have to pay for your son, but yes do include him in the count.

That's the one I was thinking to cancel too, Chef Mickey's, but maybe I'll do a different character or other suggested off-site restaurant that night. So many options!

I have not been to any of these, so take that for what it's worth. I would cut out either Chef Mickey's or 1900 and would base it off of the characters your son would be more interested in and whether you like breakfast or dinner food more. Chef Mickey's tends to have pretty negative reviews but it had the Fab 5 and would be a nice way to start a vacation. 1900 is going to have e relatively standard breakfast offerings and has Pooh, Tigger, Alice, Mad Hatter, and Mary Poppins, the last three of which he might not be familiar? I've heard the Mad Hatter is hilarious though.

In regards to your son on the ADRs, he has to be listed and for buffets/ AYCE places he is free and you can make him a plate. Sometimes he will be offered a free drink, sometimes you will have to pay for that- basically it's pixie dust if you get the drink free. For places like Sanaa and Skipper Canteen, he can eat from your plate free, but if you want any separate food or drink for him, you will have to pay for that.

Hello,
I'm going to WDW in July with my in-laws and 2.5 year old son. We are staying off-site at an airbnb. I made a bunch of reservations but am thinking it's a bit much (total $) especially after reading so many terrible reviews. Each is on a different day.

Also, I included my son in the party count, but is it true we won't have to pay for him?

Chef Mickey's (arrival day dinner)
Jungle Skipper Canteen something (lunch - across from my favorite attraction as a child and most likely keeping this reservation)
Sanaa (dinner; love Indian food...)
1900 Park Fare (breakfast)
Terrible reviews? We've enjoyed meals at each of those restaurants, though we like some better than others. Keep in mind that everyone has their own opinion, and some people have different priorities than you. And some people are just picky and negative in general, or resentful about having to pay Disney prices. None of these are "bad" restaurants, although they won't all be everyone's cup of tea. Don't let negative posters scare you away from what could be a good experience for your family.

Chef Mickeys: If your child likes the characters, this is the most important ressie to keep. It's the only ressie where you'll meet all of the Fab Five. Food is average, ambiance is bright & cheerful, very kid-friendly.

Jungle Skipper Canteen: Nice, well-themed restaurant with tasty food. Waiters will crack a joke or two, ala Jungle Cruise humor.

Sanaa: Tasty Indian food in a peaceful restaurant, & you might get a view of animals if seated by the window.

1900 Park Fare: Average food & ambiance, several good characters: Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Mad Hatter, Winnie the Pooh & Tigger at breakfast / Cinderella, Prince Charming, wicked stepmothers & stepsisters at dinner.

As an adult, my personal favorite of these is Sanaa, for the food & ambiance. As a mom, I've had the happiest memories at Chef Mickey's & 1900 Park Fare, watching my son get to meet the characters. And my son and I both enjoyed Skipper Canteen in April.

Last edited:
Consider dropping Chef Mickeys and 1900 - pick up Tusker House breakfast buffet - great food and very good interaction with characters...you will love Sanaa!

Terrible reviews? We've enjoyed meals at each of those restaurants, though we like some better than others. Keep in mind that everyone has their own opinion, and some people have different priorities than you. And some people are just picky and negative in general, or restentful about having to pay Disney prices. None of these are "bad" restaurants, although they won't all be everyone's cup of tea, naturally.

Chef Mickeys: If your child likes the characters, this is the most important ressie to keep. It's the only ressie where you'll meet all of the Fab Five. Food is average, ambiance is bright & cheerful, very kid-friendly.

Jungle Skipper Canteen: Nice, well-themed restaurant with tasty food. Waiters will crack a joke or two, ala Jungle Cruise humor.

Sanaa: Tasty Indian food in a peaceful restaurant, & you might get a view of animals if seated by the window.

1900 Park Fare: Average food & ambiance, several good characters: Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Mad Hatter, Winnie the Pooh & Tigger
Terrible reviews I've seen more often than good it seems, I'm sure because of price and I'm mainly referring to to chef Mickey's. I do realize a lot of people have too high of expectations, though!

Terrible reviews I've seen more often than good it seems, I'm sure because of price and I'm mainly referring to to chef Mickey's. I do realize a lot of people have too high of expectations, though!
Chef Mickeys is fine. I recommend breakfast, as all Disney breakfast buffets are pretty good- hard to mess up a Mickey waffle. I've seen the negative reviews, too, & while the place isn't gourmet, there's nothing bad about it, either. It's clean, cheerful, & we've always had decent service. You're there for the characters, & you will get to meet all of them.

Chef Mickeys is fine. I recommend breakfast, as all Disney breakfast buffets are pretty good- hard to mess up a Mickey waffle. I've seen the negative reviews, too, & while the place isn't gourmet, there's nothing bad about it, either. It's clean, cheerful, & we've always had decent service. You're there for the characters, & you will get to meet all of them.

Thank you. This was what I was hoping to hear, because I do think my son would get a kick out of the characters!

Chef Mickeys is fine. I recommend breakfast, as all Disney breakfast buffets are pretty good- hard to mess up a Mickey waffle.

And in my family's experience, it's a situation where you would THINK it's hard to mess up a mickey waffle, so how does that explain chef mickey's? :)

I would keep them all. I think you have made great choices.
Enjoy and Have Fun
Thanks! You guys are helpful.
I would do breakfast at chef Mickey's, but it's the day we get in, and I would rather take advantage of the mornings in the parks rather than in a restaurant since we have limited time. Last morning we have the breakfast because we are leaving after, driving down to Naples for a week.

The only reason to go to Chef Mickey's is to see the Fab 5. The food is terrible. And dinner comes with the heftiest price tag of all the meals there.

If you really want a character meal on your first night and you aren't going to a park, you may want to consider Garden Grove at the Swan. It would only be Pluto and Goofy at the dinner, but the food is so much better and, if you have a AAA membership, you get 20% off.

Cape May is ok if you like seafood buffets. Beaches and Cream is just burgers/sandwiches, etc. Nothing great. Trails End at Ft. W is fun and there is a playground and the WDW stables are there with all the resorts' ponies and horses. Whispering Canyon at WL is also a lot of fun. If you are looking for a really good Mickey character meal, I would go to Tusker House on a day you are visiting Animal Kingdom.

I like your other choices!

I'd for sure cancel Chef Mickey's. Now if it were for myself I'd probably replace it with The Wave (but this atmosphere is not especially fun for a toddler), or to save even more money you could replace it with Contempo Café. But I agree with @wdwthanksgiving that if you really want to do another character meal in addition to 1900 Park Fare, Tusker House is great. You could do Tusker House breakfast and Sanaa dinner the same day, and perhaps somewhere more affordable on your arrival night.

Consider dropping Chef Mickeys and 1900 - pick up Tusker House breakfast buffet - great food and very good interaction with characters...you will love Sanaa!
I agree with this. Tusker is way better. I would definitely drop one of the character meals though. 1900 isnt anything special to be honest. Atmosphere is blah, the place looks tired. The characters arent anything special. Mad Hatter is the only one that stands out. Food is ok. Honestly not worth the trip. Chef Mickeys has the fab 5, but the food isnt anything special. Again, I would book Tusker house over Chef Mickeys. Similar characters and better food.

1900 I chose because it had desirable late morning times for us on our last day. The others only had really early a.m. times. Plus, I thought most of them do breakfast really well? I am big on Mary Poppins and I'm getting my son into it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter