• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to Magic Bands

When you check in at your hotel, the CM will be able to tell you if all your tickets, hoppers or dining plan are associated. (You should also be able to see everything on the MDE app too.) Whether you attach a credit card for convenience purchases or not, they will make you enter a PIN so figure one out now. Don't be like my first time hem-hawing around because I couldn't think of one. LOL If using Magical Express, you will check in at the airport with them so be sure to carry them on the plane. Don't pack them in your checked luggage. If driving, the guard at your resort will want to scan it when pulling in, so don't pack them in the trunk either. (I usually just wear mine while traveling.)

Hope this helps. Have a magical time. I leave for The World in a few weeks...praying for good weather!
thank you! we will be there in 20 days also!

If driving, the guard at your resort will want to scan it when pulling in
When we went in November of 2014, the Magic Bands were still relatively new and they indicated that they may not work at the main gate. Either way, our first arrival (for check-in) the guard has a list of names of folks checking in for the day and it should not be an issue if they are packed away (Ours were in the camper and not our Truck).

When we went in November of 2014, the Magic Bands were still relatively new and they indicated that they may not work at the main gate. Either way, our first arrival (for check-in) the guard has a list of names of folks checking in for the day and it should not be an issue if they are packed away (Ours were in the camper and not our Truck).

Correct, they do have a list of names. My first year with a magicband (2014), it was packed in the trunk and he verified my license against his list. He did reprimand me though... with a smile. On my 2015 trip, I had it in the car with me and he made me dig it out so he could scan it. LOL We need a magicband emoji! :earboy2:

thank you! we will be there in 20 days also!
This is my first day on the DisBoard.....our family is planning a trip to Disney World, but renting a clubhouse off of Disney property. Will our Multi-Day passes have a Magic Band, or are Magic Bands only given to people staying on property?

This is my first day on the DisBoard.....our family is planning a trip to Disney World, but renting a clubhouse off of Disney property. Will our Multi-Day passes have a Magic Band, or are Magic Bands only given to people staying on property?

You get a magic band when you stay on property. Since you're staying off property you can buy one, but they're not necessary.

You don't NEED magic bands, you can use the RFID compatible cards that a lot of the "Multi-pass" tickets come as. You can however purchase Magic Bands (in advance or after the fact) and get your tickets "Transferred" to the MB for convenience. (it's easier to keep track of the MB on your wrist then pulling a card in and out of your wallet/pocket.)

You don't NEED magic bands, you can use the RFID compatible cards that a lot of the "Multi-pass" tickets come as. You can however purchase Magic Bands (in advance or after the fact) and get your tickets "Transferred" to the MB for convenience. (it's easier to keep track of the MB on your wrist then pulling a card in and out of your wallet/pocket.)

Nothing is "on" a Magic Band - it's just a link to access what's on your MDE account, including tickets.

Nothing is "on" a Magic Band - it's just a link to access what's on your MDE account, including tickets.
You are correct. The MB is merely just an ID number that references a value (when scanned) in a database where all the pertinent information is stored. At a particular service, you scan your band (and if necessary provide your PIN or bio-metric data) and it's sent to the Database with either a request for data or a request to Update data (i.e. add a charge to your account).

While most average users don't understand the intricacies of database communications and RFID, it's just much easier to explain it as if it's getting loaded on the band. Reality is, is that once you get a "New" MB, they (whoever they is) needs to update the database and replace the Old ID with the new id. In computer terms it should be a simple update, except for the security to prevent people (read hackers) from abusing this ability.

You are correct. The MB is merely just an ID number that references a value (when scanned) in a database where all the pertinent information is stored. At a particular service, you scan your band (and if necessary provide your PIN or bio-metric data) and it's sent to the Database with either a request for data or a request to Update data (i.e. add a charge to your account).

While most average users don't understand the intricacies of database communications and RFID, it's just much easier to explain it as if it's getting loaded on the band. Reality is, is that once you get a "New" MB, they (whoever they is) needs to update the database and replace the Old ID with the new id. In computer terms it should be a simple update, except for the security to prevent people (read hackers) from abusing this ability.

This last bit is the sticking point that bothers me. For resort-issued magicbands, they remain active until you delete them from your account. So as you collect them from stay to stay, you can use any one you want. It doesn't have to be the currently-issued band. I think this should only apply to retail magicbands. Resort-issued magicbands should expire after resort stay in the interest of security.

I guess it's a double edged sword. What if you grab the "Wrong" band (for those that have many), what if your band selection is based on your "Mood" Today I want blue, tomorrow I want grey (or whatever).

Funny thing is, we only have one set of MBs from our trip in 2014. We are planning our 2016 trip and the DW pointed out that in MDE, we have 4 "Active" devices (1 MB 3 Cards) and she was thinking (as they say they are "Admission Cards") that they were tickets. Funny thing is, is that our last trip was in November 2014 (with a MB) while we were planning others, we ended up changing (now currently planning Nov 2016) so where did all these cards come from? Were they assigned at the point of reservation? were they from the trips prior to November 2014 (our MB's from 2014 are still listed too)

You can go and "Deactivate" them but I do agree, they should probably expire, much like the tickets (after first use) and even the Refillable mugs (after 14 days).

Of course I also wish they would come out with a MB that had a replaceable battery (at least the ones you purchase), but I guess that's another thread. :)

I guess it's a double edged sword. What if you grab the "Wrong" band (for those that have many), what if your band selection is based on your "Mood" Today I want blue, tomorrow I want grey (or whatever).

Funny thing is, we only have one set of MBs from our trip in 2014. We are planning our 2016 trip and the DW pointed out that in MDE, we have 4 "Active" devices (1 MB 3 Cards) and she was thinking (as they say they are "Admission Cards") that they were tickets. Funny thing is, is that our last trip was in November 2014 (with a MB) while we were planning others, we ended up changing (now currently planning Nov 2016) so where did all these cards come from? Were they assigned at the point of reservation? were they from the trips prior to November 2014 (our MB's from 2014 are still listed too)

You can go and "Deactivate" them but I do agree, they should probably expire, much like the tickets (after first use) and even the Refillable mugs (after 14 days).

Of course I also wish they would come out with a MB that had a replaceable battery (at least the ones you purchase), but I guess that's another thread. :)

The cards are old Keys to the World cards. I've had multiple room key cards but only one with tickets attached. THAT'S the one that shows still active from a pre-magicband trip.

Last trip in Oct 2014, DH and I were told when we booked with Disney Reservations that it was no problem to ask for cards instead of magic bands when we checked into POFQ. When we did that, the CM had to go get permission from someone to make us cards and we were told we had to take the bands, too. We did not want to wear the clunky bands and prefer using the cards but they told us in the future we would not have a choice. We have a trip booked for May and wonder if it will be an issue again. Anyone get the cards instead of the bands lately? Thanks!

Last trip in Oct 2014, DH and I were told when we booked with Disney Reservations that it was no problem to ask for cards instead of magic bands when we checked into POFQ. When we did that, the CM had to go get permission from someone to make us cards and we were told we had to take the bands, too. We did not want to wear the clunky bands and prefer using the cards but they told us in the future we would not have a choice. We have a trip booked for May and wonder if it will be an issue again. Anyone get the cards instead of the bands lately? Thanks!

I stayed at Pop in November and I didn't get any card. I really think they don't do it anymore but could be wrong.

Can you re-assign a magic band to another family member in my party? When I went in the summer I ordered from Disney store a gray band because back then it wasn't much choices. Then when I stayed at Pop in November because I didn't know you have to call and customize your band before hand my whole family got a gray band because they told me thats the standard one if you don't customize so I am stuck with two gray ones. My family is suppose to go in November this year and instead of buying my grandfather one I was thinking of giving him my first magic band. Thanks.

Can you re-assign a magic band to another family member in my party? When I went in the summer I ordered from Disney store a gray band because back then it wasn't much choices. Then when I stayed at Pop in November because I didn't know you have to call and customize your band before hand my whole family got a gray band because they told me thats the standard one if you don't customize so I am stuck with two gray ones. My family is suppose to go in November this year and instead of buying my grandfather one I was thinking of giving him my first magic band. Thanks.

I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong, but once a magic band is assigned, it cannot be transferred to someone else. But the question is why buy a band at all? As long as everyone in the party is listed on the reservation, they get a band of their color choice selected in advance and customized with name. The only ones you should buy are the specialized ones. If your grandfather is on the fence about going, and decides at last minute to go, the hotel will add him and give him a grey band free of charge.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong, but once a magic band is assigned, it cannot be transferred to someone else. But the question is why buy a band at all? As long as everyone in the party is listed on the reservation, they get a band of their color choice selected in advance and customized with name. The only ones you should buy are the specialized ones. If your grandfather is on the fence about going, and decides at last minute to go, the hotel will add him and give him a grey band free of charge.

Hope this helps.

I would think you could get the band re-assigned. The issue is less about the band and more about the tickets. Tickets are "Bio-metrically" attached to the person on first use, but if there are not current tickets on the band, it "Should" be a simple matter for a Disney CM to switch it since the band itself is little more than an "ID Number". Mind you it might not be ANY CM that can do it but I would think it could be done. Everything else PirateSAM said, however, I agree with.

Does it keep any information about the owners? Specifically, if my kid gets lost, can they contact me through the information linked to the band?

Does it keep any information about the owners? Specifically, if my kid gets lost, can they contact me through the information linked to the band?

Great question and certainly worth looking into. They're designed to track your every move through the parks, so I would hope this be possible.

The only information that is on the "Band" itself is the RFID number. The scanners look it up in a database to obtain the other needed information for the request being made (i.e. Does this ID have another Ticket Entry for Today? Yes, let them in, No, deny them access)

If you have assigned the Band appropriately to the child and made the proper updates in MDE, then Yes, the child's information should be in the database. The question is, will WDW use the information that way? Will they let the general public know this?

Personally, I would not rely on the MB information to reconnect with a lost child. I would consider other solutions proposed on this site as well as others. Adding a Cell phone number of a parent inside a ball cap (or similar) even writing it on the MB with a sharpie. The key is to also make sure your child knows where the information is so they can find a CM and ask for their help and tell them where the information is.

The worst part of magic bands for me is waiting in line for another FP. Yes, you get to plan out your first three FP for that day but once those get used up, you have to wait in yet another line just to get one more FP. I really hope they fix this soon.
I'm sorry...I'm truly confused. If you don't use the MB, do you not have to wait in the line then (using the MDE app or something)? I'm so confused with the new system

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter