• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to Ft Wilderness

dsnymoners

Disney Guru
Been to Disney numerous times but first time to Ft Wilderness in the Cabins. I have seen that people rent golf carts. Are they really necessary?

Its not necessary, but it is alot of fun to explore the campground in a golfcart. The internal bus system will get you anywhere you need to go, but you can't take your car. There are a few parking places by the Meadows pool area, but no parking at Trails End, Hoop de Doo or that area.

We've been to the Fort many times and never had a golf cart. We either ride our bikes, walk, or take the bus to wherever we need to go.

Welcome to the Fort, this is one of the best places to stay while at WDW! As for the cart question, there are a few factors you need to think about, who is going with you, ages, ability to walk and if you want to wait on the bueses (which are very good), plus if you want to go out and explore the Fort while you are there. We have stayed and not gotten one and have gotten one, longer stays we always get one, so, it just depends on your needs and what you want to expirence. Whatever the case, have a great time and hope you have fun! :thumbsup2

As others have said, golf carts are not a necessity...merely a luxury. We have been many times and have never rented a cart; however, we always take our bicycles. While the buses will get you where you need to go, it is nice to be able to hope on a bicycle/golf cart to go explore the loops, etc.

Been to Disney numerous times but first time to Ft Wilderness in the Cabins. I have seen that people rent golf carts. Are they really necessary?

We've been camping at FW for years and have never rented a cart. Just one expense we don't see worth it, but there are those that rent one every trip.
It's just a personal preference. We either catch the bus or walk :)

They could never be considered a necessity. We spend most of our time away from the campground, so would barely use them.

It's also so beautiful on the trails that we enjoy our walks. :goodvibes

We've been camping at FW for years and have never rented a cart. Just one expense we don't see worth it, but there are those that rent one every trip.

They could never be considered a necessity. We spend most of our time away from the campground, so would barely use them.

Cart is not necessary. Buses are fine and we use our bikes as well. Carts are an extra expense and in my view, they have become a nuisance. They have under age children driving them, they race, etc. It's been abused.

Agreed. The buses are fine, and the cost is pretty high to rent a cart.

As two adults we use our bikes to do the loops, store, etc. The plus side is we get exercise that is fun. As said before depends on you family ages and abilities. Either way it all about the camping experience.
Enjoy you will be back.

I feel unless you are going to spend a lot of time in the resort the carts do not make economic sense, mearly using them to drive down to the transport pickups and then parking them there all day is not in my opinion the best use of your hard earned cash, however if like me you stay at the camp grounds for the majority of your time there they can be fun, you could just hire for a day to explore FW.

If you're driving, use a bike rack and take the bikes along.

With the excellent bus system that's all the transportation you'll need!

We have been to the Fort a couple times, but always stay in the cabins. Usually fly down, so bikes are not an option. We enjoy having the cart to tour the loops and avoid the busses. We are heading down in 4 days, and would rather have the cart to get around than walk in the summer heat.

mac_tlc

We were going to rent a golf cart, but after researching a bit about the trails and such, we are bringing our bikes instead. Can't wait to get there!!

We are big fans of bringing our bikes! We save a lot of money, you can ride them to the Wilderness Lodge, and they are great exercise.

We rented a cart twice then bought our own. We see it as a near necessity....but not necessarily for the occasional or one time visitor. The busses do a great job both within the Fort and out to the parks (except MK), and of course you can't take a cart anywhere except within the Fort.

Definitely NOT necessary since the bus system is very nice. They are VERY COLD so great in the summer but you might want a sweater if you are returning in the evening. If you can bring bikes it's great exercise and you'll get where you are going sooner than waiting for the bus. The golf cart is a nice fun luxury if you choose that option. :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter