• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to DL side of things

pewing

2Prince/1PrincessMom
Hello everyone.

Thinking about taking the plunge and trying DL (a long way from Alabama :rolleyes: )

I have a few questions. Any help is appreciated :goodvibes

How many days minimum for 'doing' the parks? We wanted to fit in a few other things while we are on that side of the world, but I don't want to miss anything at DL!

Is there a monorail? Does it go to any of the hotels/resorts?

Crazy with a two year old? Best place for a 2 year old birthday?

Worth the $$ to get to California? :blush:

I am getting a bit excited thinking about it :earboy2:

For a first timer I would go for 5 days; but no less then 3. You need at least 2 full days for Disneyland; 1 full day for DCA. Then you will want to explore the hotels and DTD.

Yes there is a Monorail but it is NOT like the one at WDW. The monorail at DL is actually considered a DL/tomorrowland attraction. There is one stop in DTD and one in Tomorrowland.

There are two good choices for birthdays. There is a big birthday party every day at the Plaza Inn inside Disneyland. It is lots of fun. Everyone gets to decorate a cake and Mickey and MInnie come for a visit. The other option would be Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland hotel. This is a character buffet.

Disneyland is great. Much smaller then WDW. Everything is within walking distance. Disneyland and DCA are simply a short walk from gate to gate. DTD is off the the side of the two parks w/ the Disneyland Hotel at the end.

The answer depends on when you go, how thoroughly you want to see the parks, and how leisurely you want to tour. I would say three days is a good minimum for DLR. But you could easily spend four days. Or more. We did four days last August. We rode everything at DL at least once, the big things 2-4 times, and many rides at DCA. And we saw all the shows and parades at DL and DCA. We were not leisurely, but we were focused on specific goals. By the end of four days we had had enough.

We are thinking about October (during our boys' Fall Break). We try to avoid the really crowded times :rolleyes:

My favorite is the first week in December (after Thanksgiving...everything is decorated for Christmas...NO crowds), but it is too hard to take the boys out of school for a week anymore :guilty:

I would like to see as much as possible. Don't know when we will be back. But we would also like to do a few other things (SD zoo, Legoland, etc.) while we are there.

Considering you will want to do Legoland and the SD zoo I would say a minimum of 5 days. One day each for the zoo and Legoland and three for DLR.

With 3 young kids, I would suggest preferably a full vacation week ( 7 nights and 8 days) This gives plently of time to relax and enjoy everything on vacation, without having to rush around with the kids.

Also, it is still perfect pool weather in early October!

I recently went in August and spent four days and three nights ( Saturday thru Tuesday). I have two kids under four. Between wanting to ride and re-ride their favorite rides and trying to meet most of their favorite characters, it still was not enough time to do everything! rotfl This is especially the case if you plan on doing some of the character meals, a birthday at the Plaza Inn, and stroll through all the shops and hotels. :) Most of which we tried to do.

As far as avoiding the crowds, it is really hit and miss in October at DLR: especially with the fifthieth in its ending half of the celebration. :earboy2: Monsters Inc will be open as well as the new Nemo Voyage. I would probably compare it to a slow summer weekday meaning waits on major rides could vary from the 15-40 minute mark. :earseek:

Hope this helps!

We will plan to be in the area for the whole week...I was just wondering how much of that time I should set aside for DL :wizard:

What would I do without these boards?! :love:

Given the age of your kids you may want to skip legoland. I took my dd when she was almost 4 and we had a good time, the next year we went to DL and she has not interest (now at 5 and 1/2) in going back to lego land.

If you go to san diego I would suggest sea world, if you've never been.

We did four nights at DL last year and are doing 5 in january, but we travel slow, dd likes to take her time and so we don't rush around a lot. Also, we like a break in the afternoon to recharge.

Hii Pewing! We just got back from DL on Sunday. A whirlwind trip in 3 days. We only did Newport Beach, DL, and CA. Don't miss Aladdin. Easily the best show at DL or WDW. We went from 6:30 am to about 10:00 every night and we did everything we wanted to do at DL and most of CA. I wouldn't really waste my time at Paradise Pier, mostly carnival rides, but we especially enjoyed Soarin' and Alladin. I am planning to write a trip report when I have time, but I wasn't at all disappointed in DL compared to WDW. We had a great time!!!

My family and I recently experienced our first Disneyland visit. We had pretty much our whole arrival day to do DTD and the hotels, then we had 3 day hoppers. We went at a commando pace and while we did do most of our must dos we did miss a handful of rides we would have liked to have done.
I'd say 3 park days is adequate to do the highlights, but 4 would really be more enjoyable, and 5 ideal for a relaxing vacation. It always amazes me when people say they can do it ALL in 2 days. IMO, thats impossible. ;)

Enjoy your trip!

abby said:
Given the age of your kids you may want to skip legoland. I took my dd when she was almost 4 and we had a good time, the next year we went to DL and she has not interest (now at 5 and 1/2) in going back to lego land.

If you go to san diego I would suggest sea world, if you've never been.

We did four nights at DL last year and are doing 5 in january, but we travel slow, dd likes to take her time and so we don't rush around a lot. Also, we like a break in the afternoon to recharge.

We have NOT done Sea World. Thanks for that tip :teeth:

CamColt said:
My family and I recently experienced our first Disneyland visit. We had pretty much our whole arrival day to do DTD and the hotels, then we had 3 day hoppers. We went at a commando pace and while we did do most of our must dos we did miss a handful of rides we would have liked to have done.
I'd say 3 park days is adequate to do the highlights, but 4 would really be more enjoyable, and 5 ideal for a relaxing vacation. It always amazes me when people say they can do it ALL in 2 days. IMO, thats impossible. ;)

Enjoy your trip!

I think we are leaning towards two days in San Diego...and then 4 at DL. We will lose some time to travel :smooth: It's a long way back to sweet home alabama :love:

pewing said:
I think we are leaning towards two days in San Diego...and then 4 at DL. We will lose some time to travel :smooth: It's a long way back to sweet home alabama :love:

Good plan!

Look into the SOUTHERN CALI.PASS
it's 3 day hopper DL/CA
1day Knotts'
1day seawould
1day either SDzoo or wild animal park

We went in June and had a great time .Spent the night in SD to do the things down there .
We also did SAN Monica peir on arrival day and a beach boardwalk 1 in SD one night after the Zoo

tmt martins said:
Look into the SOUTHERN CALI.PASS
it's 3 day hopper DL/CA
1day Knotts'
1day seawould
1day either SDzoo or wild animal park

We went in June and had a great time .Spent the night in SD to do the things down there .
We also did SAN Monica peir on arrival day and a beach boardwalk 1 in SD one night after the Zoo

Thanks...but what is Knott's? :teacher:

It's another theme park SNOPPY and the gang great Ice skating show but do that before DL or you might be alittle sad.

you can look and get it on the DL web-sight under tickets SC city pass and it breaks down to about $30 per park

I second the plan of 2 days SD and 4 day DL. That sounds like a perfect vacation :flower: Your kids will enjoy it all and you will not be rushed. I hope it all comes together for you and you all have a wonderful time! Keep asking questions on the boards and let us know what the final plan is :flower:

Hi !

I found that even with just the two of us (adults) we got tired, and should have built in a day just relaxing in the middle of the trip - I ended up with a migraine one night when I'd wanted to go back for the electric light parade(probably too much excitement!)
:wave2:
Paula

pewing said:
How far from SD to DL?

Not sure of the milage not that far but the traffic can be real bad so we just got a room for the night on Hotel circle or something like that.

San Diego Zoo is is 93 miles away from Disneyland, while SeaWorld is 83 miles.

You may want to consider a Southern California Magic Package, where you can combine a minimum 3 night (or greater) stay in Disneyland with a minimum 2 night(or greater) stay in San Diego. You could also combine it with Hollywood or Laguna or Huntington Beaches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter